Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Am I the only one that actually manages to use my iPhone 5 without a case and still don't get any scratches? Just like the screens on the iPhone 4 / 4S and their antenna design people debates like everyone and their mother get their screens cracked and their reception down to a crawl when that certainly is not the case.

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Stoked!

OMG, just from the looks of this device, I am so buying it on release! Do you think there will be the traditional lines for this? Beautiful!

Can't wait,
Bigandtasty... Mmmmmm!

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
It retains one main feature of current iPhone 5: Scratches..

Seriously..? The iPhone 5 is way more scratch-proof than any plastic phones out there. Just put those plastic phones under bright light and you'll see myriads of spider web scratches. My iPhone 5 does not have scratches on the aluminum, and I don't use a case, nor a protector.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I feel like I've not much choice in upgrading to this. My iPhone 4 is on deaths door, in fact waiting through the summer to hold onto it is going to be difficult...

I'm in the same boat. The 5S will be my next phone because I currently have an ancient iPhone 4. I'm looking into the possibility in upgrading every year now too. I'm sick of being behind with iPhone because it really shows and feels outdated.

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
I really hope Apple puts the rumoured finger print reader in the iPhone 5S, as well as a higher megapixel camera.
(13 MP would be awesome)

Noticed the dual flash which is a good addition, and bigger battery is always appreciated.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Did anyone really expect anything different?

Apple is probably working on the iPhone 6 for 2014 with radical thin new design with all the bells and whistles. For 2014.

The roadmap for Apple is clear, major hardware changes every 2 years(iPhone 3g, 4, 5, 6), minor additions in-between that (3GS, 4S, 5S).

If you want some change for sake of change, go to android :rolleyes:

What if new technology comes out that could be easily added and would mean a big change, but Apple is set to release an "S" iPhone?

----------

Seriously..? The iPhone 5 is way more scratch-proof than any plastic phones out there. Just put those plastic phones under bright light and you'll see myriads of spider web scratches. My iPhone 5 does not have scratches on the aluminum, and I don't use a case, nor a protector.

It's less scratch-proof than the 4(S), at least if you're only considering scratches that are normally visible.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
In the past the upgraded SoC usually lead to a noticeable improvement in the speed of the phone, however my iPhone 5 appears to be near instant in every task I throw at it. I wonder how this one is going to seem faster?

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
In the past the upgraded SoC usually lead to a noticeable improvement in the speed of the phone, however my iPhone 5 appears to be near instant in every task I throw at it. I wonder how this one is going to seem faster?

It will be fast enough to emulate the Nintendo 64 at full speed.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Looks no different!

Surprise surprise...

3G:
apple-iphone-3g-black.jpg

3GS:
Apple%20iPhone%203G.jpg

4:
iphone4_2up_front_side-580-90.jpg

4S:
20120106125406_iPhone-4s-review-main.jpg

So... lets go through this together.

3G - redesign
3GS - updated internals
4 - redesign
4S - updated internals
5 - redesign
5S - ????

What do you expect?

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I really don't think apple would be dumb enough just to release this phone because people with 5's (including me) will not upgrade. There's tons of money to be made from people who upgrade every year. However, 5 to 5S won't be significant enough even for us iSheep to upgrade.

3G to 3GS was probably one of the best iPhone upgrades
4 to 4S got gave us Siri, HSPA+ and reduced antennagate
5 to 5S???.... 30 more mins of battery?

No thanks, Apple. I'm still holding out for a second model alongside this one with a larger screen.

And if not, I'm gonna get an android for a year and then come back for the 6.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
I really don't think apple would be dumb enough just to release this phone because people with 5's (including me) will not upgrade. There's tons of money to be made from people who upgrade every year. However, 5 to 5S won't be significant enough even for us iSheep to upgrade.

That's how it's always been :confused:

There was no point in upgrading from the 3G to the 3GS - you only got a speed bump and a couple of features.

There was no point in upgrading from the 4 to the 4S - you only got a speed bump and a couple of features.

I joined the iPhone realm with the 3GS and my iPhones have all been "S" series - upgraded from the 3GS to the 4S and now likely to the 5S. Considering most phone contracts are two years now, it kind of makes sense.

No thanks, Apple. I'm still holding out for a second model alongside this one with a larger screen.

Don't hold your breath while you do that, or you might die.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
What if new technology comes out that could be easily added and would mean a big change, but Apple is set to release an "S" iPhone?

Apple will have their roadmap set out for a couple of generations. This will include all known upcoming technology (from discussions with suppliers) and they will no doubt have a close eye on patents around the world looking for emerging technology.

If a company like Apple or Samsung were surprised by an amazing new technology then they would take a while to licence it (or to find a way to do the same thing without having to pay to use it).

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA

There was no point in upgrading from the 3G to the 3GS - you only got a speed bump and a couple of features.

There was no point in upgrading from the 4 to the 4S - you only got a speed bump and a couple of features.

I joined the iPhone realm with the 3GS and my iPhones have all been "S" series - upgraded from the 3GS to the 4S and now likely to the 5S. Considering most phone contracts are two years now, it kind of makes sense.

You missed my point. Every upgrade has been significant enough to warrant an update for people like me.

3G to 3GS was absolutely one of the best upgrades because the phone went from sluggish to usable.

4 to 4S, although not the biggest upgrade, had faster Internet which was enough for me to want to upgrade.

How is apple gonna take my money now? They're gonna release the same phone and expect me to buy it? Nope.

There has to be something else up their sleeve. I'm calling it now.

Apple is a business. They want my money. And they're not gonna get it by giving me 0.1 extra GHz.

Last edited:

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

Agree entirely. In fact, releasing phones in this way allows their designers and their manufacturing partners to focus on the big upgrades every two years. The 5S will have been largely signed off months ago and they will already be working hard on finalising key details of the 2014 phone so that production processes can be worked out. Manufacturers will need time to start component manufacture well before the devices are assembled.

Minor details of the 2014 phone(s) may still change as they go through the proving processes and there will be opportunities to tweak internal components but, if not already done, the design freeze will occur well in advance of production starting - based on output from prototype testing.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010

You are talking about the black model I suppose.. After almost a year of use... Good for you then ..

I am tempted to ask you how you managed to do that, but I really dont want to know where you are sticking it in while you are walking around...

Last edited:

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
2007: iPhone, completely new = bought
2008: iPhone 3G, redesign = bought.
2009: iPhone 3GS, no redesign = still bought.
2010: iPhone 4, redesign = bought.
2011: iPhone 4S, no redesign = still bought.
2012: iPhone 5, redesign = bought.
2013: iPhone 5S, no redesign = will be bought.

It's the same jargon every single year, let people get it out of their systems.

Oh, and i'm pretty sure people would have picked up the pattern by now.

No "S" = Redesign
"S" = No Redesign

So.

2014: iPhone 6, redesign = bought
2015: iPhone 6S, no redesign = will be bought.

Expect a redesign in 2014, not earlier, not later.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I don't care if the 5S is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel, my cash is reserved for the Xbox One & PS4 later this year!

My iPhone 5 will easily be good enough for another year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.