Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
iWatch! Apple is joking, right?

Seriously though. I'm just waiting for this thing to fail because everyone has smartphones, thus watches aren't even a thought anymore.

Global Watches Market to Reach $46.65 Billion according to a New Report by Global Industry Analysts, Inc.

What was that you were saying?....;)

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
What if this whole iWatch thing is not a watch but rather a TV? You watch TV and TV rumors have been around much longer than this watch idea.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
An iWatch wouldn't just be a watch in the same way that an iPhone isn't just a phone.

And just like the iPhone and iPad, it won't be just one single feature that makes it useful.

I like the idea put forward recently that the iPhone bypasses the unlock screen if it senses the user's iWatch nearby, and the iWatch has sensors to make sure the user is wearing it. A nice secure chain that helps usability.

I don't use my iPhone for walking directions in unfamiliar city centres because I don't want to carry around an expensive device in full view that is easily snatched. Glancing at a watch for an update on directions is much safer.

The usefulness of vibrate to let an iPhone notify you varies according to how near your body it is. In a coat pocket with a thick jumper underneath and you won't notice it. An iWatch will be next to your skin, so vibrate won't have to be as powerful, and will be consistent in how much you feel it.

There are many things possible, but we do not know what an iWatch will include. It is too early to write it off, or proclaim it the next big thing.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
the iwatch to be target for all ages..must to come in least 2 combinations.
1 for the teenagers
2 for man/woman that like to wear a watch like a jewellery accessory

and yes if they make that they will have all ages and great sells and reinvent the watch for more purposes other than checking the time/date/jewel

they must target and those who wear a rolex/longines watch because otherwise the grown up people will not buy it, that included me

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
I sincerely hope those people don't give up their watches - it won't be nearly as easy to spot the pretentious morons and t**ts in the world as it is today! :)

Sadly, my original reply to this post was deleted for being "insulting" - strangely enough, your equally insulting post is still here. Anyway, I hope the mods will allow me to say this: if you're really this judgmental in real life, you should rethink your attitude. Just because I choose to wear a beautiful timepiece doesn't make me "pretentious" or a "moron".

----------

1 for the teenagers

and yes if they make that they will have all ages and great sells and reinvent the watch for more purposes other than checking the time/date/jewel

they must target and those who wear a rolex/longines watch because otherwise the grown up people will not buy it, that included me

1) might actually work. 2) most certainly won't. How on earth can Apple "target [...] those who wear a rolex/longines"? The demographic that is interested in spending 5k+ on a watch is not the same demographic that can and will be targeted by the rumored iWatch, unless you assume that said iWatch will be manufactured in Switzerland and cost 5k+.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Sadly, my original reply to this post was deleted for being "insulting" - strangely enough, your equally insulting post is still here. Anyway, I hope the mods will allow me to say this: if you're really this judgmental in real life, you should rethink your attitude. Just because I choose to wear a beautiful timepiece doesn't make me "pretentious" or a "moron".

----------

1) might actually work. 2) most certainly won't. How on earth can Apple "target [...] those who wear a rolex/longines"? The demographic that is interested in spending 5k+ on a watch is not the same demographic that can and will be targeted by the rumored iWatch, unless you assume that said iWatch will be manufactured in Switzerland and cost 5k+.

Sorry to correct you but with the iphone 5 bring some of the jewel thing..that kind of kills the Vertu industry and Nokia 88xx series. So they can do it

----------

lets not forget that Apple now days is a premium/fashion company so they can do even that with the watch..because already for teenagers already are sony smart watches

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
Sorry to correct you but with the iphone 5 bring some of the jewel thing..that kind of kills the Vertu industry and Nokia 88xx series. So they can do it

Come on, mate. Vertus are an absolute niche product. Almost nobody considers a mobile phone jewelry. However, almost everyone thinks of watches as jewelry - at least those who buy the brands you mentioned do. Someone who's about to plunk down ten thousand buckaroos on a Rolex won't be swayed by any kind of smart watch, no matter how much it "targets" him.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
1 for the teenagers

I think the easiest group to target with this device is those who already wear a watch and wear it for useful purposes first and foremost. They are the ones that are likely to realise some utility from a device that not only tells the time, but also provides other useful functions they can wear on their wrist. Going after groups that wear watches because they're considered jewellery is a much harder sell, because you've got to appeal to something other than the functions of the watch, and you'd of course have to encrust it with jewels which would put it largely out of the reach of the majority of people who live on this planet.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Meanwhile there's some joker in Turkey who has filed a trade mark application for I_WATCH in respect of watches. So we'll see if this guys gets it, and how much cash he can extract from Apple.

His application covers all these countries:

AL AT AU AZ BA BG BH BX BY CH CY CZ DK EE EG ES FI GB GE GR HR HU IL IR IT JP KG KR KZ LT LV MA MD ME MK NO PL PT RO RS RU SE SG SI SK SY TM UA UZ
Trade Mark : 1549773

International Registration : 1153669

Word: i_watch
Lodgement Date: 27-NOV-2012

Class/es: 14

Owner/s: Arikan Ithalat Saat
Sanayi ve Dıs Ticaret Limited Sirketi
Tahtakale Cad. No:69
Eminonu Istanbul
TURKEY

WIPO Address for Correspondence: Arzu AKALIN
Kore Sehitleri Cad. No: 30/11
Zincirlikuyu
Istanbul
TURKEY

Goods & Services

Class: 14 Jewelry goods (including imitations); gold, jewels, precious stones and jewelry made from these, cufflinks, tie pins, tie clips, statuettes of precious metal, watches, stopwatches, watch chains, watch bands

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I wouldn't read too much into this. I think it's more likely Apple wants to prevent others from releasing a product called "iWatch" than it is that Apple is gearing up to releasing a watch.

Filling a trademark is cheap.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Just in time. My Nike fuelband just broke a second time. Heres hoping Apple brings something with a value-add to the market.

Would love to have a good sleep monitor/alarm clock like the Jawbone UP offers, but that is a product I would never trust due to its peppered past.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
I dont think you could get notifications on the ipod nano, so thats already something extra right there in your message.

If you are not impressed by the promise of a smart watch, then maybe its not for you - just as a tablet, or a smartphone, or an ipod etc are not for some! I can think of some really convenient uses for it - but agree its probably not going to be as big a change as the iphone (if it comes at all).

Said every skeptic when iPad was announced. "It's just a bigger iPhone! What's the big deal?" And see how it turned out. :cool:

I think it'll be the same with iTV. Current stock of "smart TVs" are really so dumb and clunky. It's pre-iPhone smartphones vs iPhone all over again. (at least I hope it'll be. TVs are so ripe for revolution.)

----------

Just in time. My Nike fuelband just broke a second time. Heres hoping Apple brings something with a value-add to the market.

Would love to have a good sleep monitor/alarm clock like the Jawbone UP offers, but that is a product I would never trust due to its peppered past.

What do you do with it? Maybe you abuse it much? At one point I thought about picking it up (but passed it and decided to wait for iWatch), but then Martial Art I do (Kendo) will definitely break it hundred times over...

Wheeler

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Initial I thought this could have interchangeable bands with different sensors built in and of course different styles- but this flexible battery bit makes me think the entire band is a battery- that would give a smallish screen plenty of power to last all day with common screen technologies, and perhaps a couple days if apple comes out with a new display type. Of course no other apple products have interchangable batteries, but it makes too much sense for a wearable device. Maybe there is a small battery in the casing, and the band can be a juice pack of sorts.

I wish the discussion was about possible iterations if such a product instead of why this will fail. If you think a little bit, there are many many intriguing possibilities for an iWatch including health and movement sensors, interaction with your computer, door locks, your home and car, remote control, phone leash, safety, constant monitoring of vital signs and glucose levels, better aceess to Siri, all kinds of notifications, and of course payment applications.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
If your definition of a first-gen product includes redesigns of existing products, then you might be disappointed to find out the second-gen iWatch is a redesign of the first, if it's like the iPhone 3G and iPad 2.

Your lack of vision is terrible

Yeah, I agree. What's the big deal with an iPad? It's just a big iPod Touch. What's the big deal with an iPod Touch? It's just an iPhone that can't make calls.

What's the big deal with a MacBook Air? It's just a MacBook Pro 13" but thinner. What's the big deal with an iMac? It's just a Mac built into the monitor.

Just another device to get notifications.

What's the big deal with an iPhone? It's nothing more than a MacBook that you could buy straps for and make it a phone. ;)

I sincerely hope those people don't give up their watches - it won't be nearly as easy to spot the pretentious morons and t**ts in the world as it is today! :)

Wow, I like Apple a lot, friends even call me a fanboy, but you guys are over the top.

The iWatch is not even in production, and no, not every Apple product is a big deal.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

Attachments

• 8af9ad0f-f042-46a1-be71-c6c831b45c5a_600.jpg
    8af9ad0f-f042-46a1-be71-c6c831b45c5a_600.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 96
  • jasper_rado.jpg
    jasper_rado.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 76

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
It just makes sense.

I think Apple is going to do a watch but it's going to leave a lot of people who are looking for a "world changer" disappointed. This will be a "hobby" level product; it's going to be replacement for the iPod Nano (though a little more expensive); and it's going to be a sports watch.

The sports watch angle takes care of a few key problems:

1. Target. Watches range from $5 to $30k. Only sports watches coalesce around the $150-$250 mark. You don't have to compete with diamonds and platinum. You don't have to compete with as many different styles. It will look like a very sleek sports watch.

2. Purpose. Everyone is trying to figure out the use cases and coming up with silly things that we do with our phones... but less. This should just be a music player, pedometer, heart rate monitor, and iFitness app, along with the bluetooth link to iPhone for notifications. Better with an iPhone connection but not totally dependant on it. Add a pair of bluetooth sports headphones and you have the perfect exercise iPod.

3. Positioning. Apple likes to have their products differentiate from each other in use cases rather than price points. That way you don't feel bad for buying ANY Apple device. (A Macbook Air isn't a "lesser" Macbook Pro... it's better for travelling!). The positioning for the iPod Nano isn't just that you can't afford an iPod Touch... the Nano is better for working out. It's the use case Apple themselves most often cite in earnings calls. It also helps people justify buying more than one iPod.

4. Breathes new life into a declining iPod line.

5. "People don't wear watches anymore". But they do strap iPods to their arms and clip them to their t-shirts when working out.

Nothing else makes sense right now. Wearables are exciting but Apple knows that it's better for them to make the best sports watch rather than an unfocused gadget. Some people will wear a sports watch for working out and others will wear it all the time, but it's important that it's framed as having a specific purpose.

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Wow, I like Apple a lot, friends even call me a fanboy, but you guys are over the top.

Uh? I'm not even praising Apple, just pointing out a flaw in your reasoning based on evidence in the past.

The iPhone and iPad got redesigned the year after they launched, I'm just pointing out this iWatch could as well...

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Come on, mate. Vertus are an absolute niche product. Almost nobody considers a mobile phone jewelry. However, almost everyone thinks of watches as jewelry - at least those who buy the brands you mentioned do. Someone who's about to plunk down ten thousand buckaroos on a Rolex won't be swayed by any kind of smart watch, no matter how much it "targets" him.

That sme Rolex person won't mind buying an iwatch for the pool, for himself and family.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I feel like the previous iPod Nano was merely a test for the watch. I believe the iPod Shuffle with only voice controls was the predecessor for Siri, and I believe the iPod Nano watch-accessory-trend was the predecessor for a dedicated iWatch. The only difference is, I'm actually interested in a dedicated iWatch!

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
1 for the teenagers

I'd say there is a third category too - design watches, there are plenty of adults who wear watches that have a modern/simple/unique style, rather than simply as a jewlery accessory. I personally have 5 watches in rotation at the moment, some alessi, uniform wares and other simple design watches. I buy a new one every year or so. I guess in that way they are used as a jewlery item, but the point is they are also an accessory and gets frequently rotated.

I do think though, that it's quite a niche market, and no where near as ubiquitous as a phone. People express their identity much much more in watches than a phone, so the subjectiveness is far wider than which plastic/glass/metal brick you want to put in your pocket. So in my case, as a frequent (nearly annual) purchaser of watches at around $100-$200 (and a geek) I'm probably in their target demographic, but even I'm not sure if I really want to wear a watch that maybe millions of other pele (and their kids) will be wearing.

It's gonna be a tough market for Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.