Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
A bit like the idea of being a Senator then, which dates back to Roman times? That predates the Dark Ages.

Every country has its own traditions and cultures, some people would do well here to respect them.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
"Her Majesty"? This fascination with Lords and Kings being references to the old ways of the Dark Ages amazes me. The idea of Nobility is a disgrace to humanity. Being so pompous as to make your official title include the word "Sir" really says a lot about a person.
Just for the sake of accuracy, I would like to point out that a knighthood is not nobility. The title is not hereditary.

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Just for the sake of accuracy, I would like to point out that a knighthood is not nobility. The title is not hereditary.

Obviously... The title still refers to the idea though. Sorry, but no, I don't have any respect for people that refer to themselves as Kings, Lords or Knights thinking they're above anyone else. "Her Majesty" means nothing to me. What's next? People celebrating being titled as "Peasants"?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Obviously... The title still refers to the idea though. Sorry, but no, I don't have any respect for people ....

To some extent, this is the American Sickness.

We are raised very often to believe that we are everybody else's equal regardless of their accomplishments, and that we are each of us as individuals our own sovereigns.

We're taught that the world owes us, and that we do not necessarily owe anything to the society that is ours.

It's going to be our downfall, if we are not careful.

A knighthood is the society's recognition of your accomplishments. The people are saying, "We see you and appreciate you."

The Order of the British Empire is political. The nominations come from the government, and The Queen moderates them. She has very, very seldom removed someone from the list...but she is the moderator. It's almost always the government's decision whom to nominate for that order.

There are others that are less political.

The Order of St Michael and St George is more closely guarded and will go to retiring senior diplomats, the Cabinet Secretary, and military men and women of great accomplishment.

The least political is the Royal Victorian Order, because it remains in the personal gift of the Sovereign. Retiring Gurkhas might get into this, or spooks whose real accomplishments are known to only the ultimate authority.

But remember that The Queen is the moderator...she is your moderator on your behalf. It's just God's roll of the dice that has put your Crown on her head.

It's a form of ultimate democracy that will be difficult to explain to people educated to believe that nobody could ever possibly be any better than they are, even if their single greatest accomplishment is to provide the newest, greatest way to exemplify slothful lack of real accomplishment.

To say that you have no respect for people who are entitled to be called this or that is to say that you have no respect for your own society, for your own people.

----------

A bit like the idea of being a Senator then....

Sort of.

The House of Lords is almost entirely composed of peers for life, people who are elevated beyond a knighthood because of their great accomplishments, the highest judges in the land, and retired people who are still young enough to use their great skills and knowledge to review legislation.

I'll tell you one great strength of this kind of system when compared to the American system, too: You know ahead of time if a proposed statute isn't going to fly.

In the USA, you have to wait for somebody to have the wherewithal to get to the Supreme Court to realize that the Senate, the House and the President have wasted huge amounts of time passing a law that is about to be declared unconstitutional.

In the Westminster system, the Lord Chief Justice stands up in the House of Lords before your statute is passed and lets you have it in no uncertain terms, telling the world why your statute should not be passed. I've even heard a cabinet secretary refer to the fact that he'd just been given "a right bloody how dee do" in the Lords.

It's just another way of doing things.

Sometimes it's more efficient, sometimes it's less efficient that the American system.

But I guarantee you that the British, Australian and Canadian systems are every bit as democratic as the US system, or even more democratic.

It is you who are being elevated when somebody goes to the Lords.

It's a sign that hard work, education and intelligence, business acumen, social work and any number of other things will be recognized by your society, and that as you age you will not be cast aside...you will rather continue to be used by your society to help govern and regulate that society.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I don't have any respect for people that refer to themselves as Kings, Lords or Knights thinking they're above anyone else. "Her Majesty" means nothing to me.

Well said.
Hear, hear!

Personally I feel the need to take extended time away from home this "Jubilee" year.
Last year's wedding was bad enough.

Oh but wait… didn't "Go for it" Cameron tell us it was going to save our economy? :rolleyes:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I don't like hereditary titles, but this isn't one. The Knighthood that Jonathan Ive has been awarded is a recognition of his achievements.

Talented, hard-working people push us all forward. Congratulations to Jony on a well deserved award.

Gloops

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Gotta admit I'm with you on this, and I'm british! Can't say I'm ashamed to be human but an award for designing simple things?
For designing complex things like cars sure. For designing a car that runs on water sure.
I'm, (insert flame here), lost as to why a knighthood is given. They seem to be handed out a little too easily. No, I don't have one before you ask, can't say I'm bothered either.

Well, he's more deserving than Sir Mick Jagger!

What's so marvellous about designing automobiles? Making a complex thing look simple is good industrial design, so Ive must be doing something right.

I'm from the UK, and sorry, but whilst he may make some "cool/modern" looking things. I would never call them a great design.

Their form and look generally overtakes their use as a practical product.
Making a device that you carry, that is practically designed to fall from your hands and if it does hit a hard surface is almost guaranteed to break is a poor design for a device held by a human.

Sure, it may "look" nice, and yay, that's great. But it's not a good functional practical design.

Sorry, but I don't buy all the blind worship.

Awe, come on. The original 'bondi blue' iMac is a design classic. It's an objet d'art. I wish I'd kept mine and stuck it on a plinth.

James Dyson was made a knight for making those hideous vacuum cleaners, where the form definitely doesn't follow function. And they don't even function very well either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.