Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Why would the location of production have anything to do with what production capacity is?

Seems in the past, production limits were normally component driven with the product having unique components (which the Mac Pro has).

Because the US isn't the source of talent, materials and numbers to do something like an iPhone?

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Far more complicated things... Yes. I work in Aerospace & Defense.
Far greater numbers... Not really. Low rates, very high price, although that's not directly related to costs. :)

I'll admit I am supposing here (but I think others are too.)

Are the numbers the mac pro is shipping in really that high?

----------

like? I dont think the US has enough electronic engineers, let alone assembly line workers to fulfill the demands of 30 million iphones+ annually...

Uhhh, I wasn't talking about the iPhone. I was talking about the Mac Pro. I admit, it wasn't clear and I edited the post. Apologies. The iPhone I will concede is a much bigger number than what I think most manufacturers are prepared for here in the US.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
apple is no longer the valuable company...
Tim Cook who was a former COO was very good at handling with productions side....but that is no longer relevant....
Tim cook...you're stroked out 3 times...you're out, boy!

----------

Because we don't have manufacturing plants with thousands of trained workers ready to take on any job and ramp up in a week?

and this is why I rather FOXCON handle this.

----------

April fools!

Nope...you best check apple website...because you got FOOLED.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
And people wonder why iPhones and iPads can't be produced in the states...

iPhones and iPads can be manufactured here. They can also have the same production run. However, the cost of doing so would drive the price up quite a bit.

----------

apple is no longer the valuable company...
Tim Cook who was a former COO was very good at handling with productions side....but that is no longer relevant....
Tim cook...you're stroked out 3 times...you're out, boy!

----------

----------

Nope...you best check apple website...because you got FOOLED.

its struck out, not stroked out.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
iPhones and iPads can be manufactured here. They can also have the same production run. However, the cost of doing so would drive the price up quite a bit.

----------

yeah...autocorrect...what now..u're my autocorrect?

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Is it bad I don't really care where my Apple products are made?
Not at all. It makes no difference where a product is made or who gets the job, except to those who promote tribalism- the dangerous and outdated belief that members of one's own tribe/city/state/country are somehow more deserving of employment/life/freedom/whatever than those who are not members of your tribe.

The only thing that should matter is whether proper labour and environmental laws are being followed.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I wonder if it's due to the graphics chips. AMD cards have been running short in a lot of stores due to altcoin mining and AMD probably allocated more fabrication space to the consumer cards to make up for it driving a short fall to the pro card chips used in the Mac Pro. Of which each Mac Pro uses two which doubles the difficulty to acquire enough chips.

Just a theory of mine, no facts.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010

I was under the impression there's almost no labor involved and the majority of assembly is taken care of by robots, so man power would be a moot issue.

I personally think Apple is not wanting to pay extra to meet initial peak demand that will taper off and leave the factory underused.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
That is a long lead time. Is it because Apple underestimated the demand for the new mac pros and the parts just aren't in the supply chain? Or is there a design or manufacturing issue that we don't know about?

I think it's a little of both. There is large interest, and the Haswell-E Xeon E5 chips are not flying off the Fab. :apple:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I was under the impression there's almost no labor involved and the majority of assembly is taken care of by robots, so man power would be a moot issue.

I personally think Apple is not wanting to pay extra to meet initial peak demand that will taper off and leave the factory underused.

I do believe apple are using robots..or machines...but after watching Foxconn trend....from few years back to last year...apple is better off going with foxconn...regardless of workers issues...they make products lot faster than machines here in US.

marc2

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
Good lucky boys!

I order 2 mac pro 22 January and my order says available to ship: APRIL

Incredible?? Yes!!

Apple don't send the pro's... Assembled in USA... mmmmm mistake?

kurtStiewens

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
Has anybody tried to buy a Xeon processor that is used in the Mac Pros lately?
Sold out everywhere.

Maybe you should think of blaming Intel, not Apple here.

hugeinchina

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
Has anyone actually received their order yet? I can't believe 6 months later no one (except for the media) has gotten hold of one mac-pro.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

----------

No, production capacity requirements are not possible in the US. See my post on the first page for source.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Is it bad I don't really care where my Apple products are made?
Sure I want worker conditions to be better and labor laws, but the United States has plenty of low end/uneducated jobs, our issue is we don't have educated people to fill all our higher end/bachelors + masters jobs.

We are a developed rich nation, we should not still need these manufacturing jobs.

You missed exactly the area of job that manufacturing outsourcing obliterated, and that's the middle class. Manufacturing plants in America used to be the foundation of middle class jobs. And as manufacturing jobs have left America, so has the middle class. The divide between rich and poor keeps growing, and that's not sustainable from an economic or sociological standpoint. There are seven times as many Americans on food stamps now as there were in 2000.

You say that we are a "developed, rich nation", but a nation needs to export goods to keep trade with other countries in balance. We cannot survive long-term with an economy based mostly on consuming things that are made elsewhere. There is also the notion that America can continue being prosperous by innovating ideas and virtual goods, such as tech companies like Google and Facebook, but the NSA has destroyed that trust in American internet companies. Moreover, these tech companies don't create many middle class jobs the way manufacturing companies did in the past.

Not having enough educated people to fill bachelors + masters jobs is a fallacy created by industries that want to import cheaper labor via H1B visas. There are plenty of young American graduates for whom there is no job.

In total, we need every manufacturing job we can get. Whether it's "bad" that you don't care is solely on you, but from my perspective I am proud to see Apple again making products that say "Assembled in the USA".

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Nonsense, You have no idea why shipping is slipping.

And people wonder why iPhones and iPads can't be produced in the states...

Maybe Apple hit a grand slam here and are selling far in excess of what the manufacturing facility was built for. Maybe Intel put Xeon on allocation to Apple. Maybe the Chinese circuit board maker ran into trouble. There are so many maybes that it doesn't make any sense to damn American manufacturing with a smart aleck remark that has no basis in fact.

----------

That is a long lead time. Is it because Apple underestimated the demand for the new mac pros and the parts just aren't in the supply chain? Or is there a design or manufacturing issue that we don't know about?

Well that is the thing isn't it, no body knows for sure what the delay is. could be demand or it could be a thousand other things. What will be interesting is the next quarterly report from Apple, I'm expecting strong sales but who really knows. Could be intel having trouble with TB 2 chips or who knows what.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I have to agree....

This is clearly not a model of machine with the massive number of orders you'd see with, say, a new game console release, or a new iPad.

I thought Tim Cook brought a lot of "supply chain management" expertise to Apple, if nothing else, thanks to his background with previous computer makers. The long delays on new product launches like this feels more like the *old* Apple, from the days when it lacked the budget to meet initial demand on most popular new products.

Apple's handling of this situation is very disappointing.
3 whole months after their 'Shipping announcement' (which already was regrettably late in the year) and they still can't manage better than 5-6 weeks in the country of origin, let alone internationally.

Very disappointing indeed. :(

----------

The problem with a decision to manufacture a product for world-wide sale here in the USA is that it requires a LOT of initial cash outlay!

The Asian manufacturers already have many millions (even billions?) invested in large plants, supplies and machinery inside to allow mass production of all manner of electronic components.

In the USA, you've got to pretty much build all of that before you can even think about hiring people and making the product -- because we decimated most such manufacturing plants decades ago.

I'm glad that Apple decided to build the new Mac Pro here and create a few jobs while it was at it ... but it seems clear to me it didn't want to really spend TOO much money on the initiative. The Mac Pro was a "safe" way to dip its proverbial toes in the water, since most consumers would never buy it in the first place. And even at that, they're running weeks behind on orders.

You missed exactly the area of job that manufacturing outsourcing obliterated, and that's the middle class. Manufacturing plants in America used to be the foundation of middle class jobs. And as manufacturing jobs have left America, so has the middle class. The divide between rich and poor keeps growing, and that's not sustainable from an economic or sociological standpoint. There are seven times as many Americans on food stamps now as there were in 2000.

You say that we are a "developed, rich nation", but a nation needs to export goods to keep trade with other countries in balance. We cannot survive long-term with an economy based mostly on consuming things that are made elsewhere. There is also the notion that America can continue being prosperous by innovating ideas and virtual goods, such as tech companies like Google and Facebook, but the NSA has destroyed that trust in American internet companies. Moreover, these tech companies don't create many middle class jobs the way manufacturing companies did in the past.

Not having enough educated people to fill bachelors + masters jobs is a fallacy created by industries that want to import cheaper labor via H1B visas. There are plenty of young American graduates for whom there is no job.

In total, we need every manufacturing job we can get. Whether it's "bad" that you don't care is solely on you, but from my perspective I am proud to see Apple again making products that say "Assembled in the USA".

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Went ahead and ordered mine anyway. I'm so busy at work with the grand opening of our new hospital I'm probably going to forget I even ordered it.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

No. Apple built the factory to handle the AVERGE demand. The first few months are going to be busy with delays and then it will settle down. If they had build the factory to handle the surge in sales at the start then after a year they'd have to lay off staff and close down parts of the plant. So they try and estimate the number of Mac Pros that will be sold AFTER the initial surge runs out

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

We will NEVER return to the "good old days" where a person with a basic high school education can get a factory job and earn enough to support a family. It will never happen agin.

Even if Apple were to move iPhone production back to the US and hire 100,000 people those would all be low-skill, low-pay jobs at maybe $12 per hour at the most. Would you really want those jobs to move back here? Think of the social problems of having 100,000 minimum wage workers living in your town.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.