Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driftir77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Detroit
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to do this: Right now i'm using an html e-mail client called Horde which allows me to have multiple from addresses linked to signatures as well. I can switch between them instantly and send mail from wherever I want to. I know this feature is available in Eudora, but does anyone know a way to do it in Mail? I really like Mail because it's small and integrated, but I want to be able to use it for everything else. The reason I can't setup a few more accounts is because everything I have forwards to one account AND I have a lot of random names because I own a domain and can receive all the mail sent to the domain at one address, but send from any. I hope this makes sense...

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Mail >> Preferences >> Accounts

You can the use rules to have it direct mail to folders if you want... but it does the job fine.

I have 3 accounts in mail myself

- Doc

driftir77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Detroit
No it isn't an accounts thing. I have one account, but I want the capability to send FROM multiple accounts. e.g. everything comes into account driftir@domain.com. but i want to be able to send people emails from driftir@domain.com, roswell@domain.com, mac@domain.com, ... even though these accounts don't really exist. upon others replying to these, the reply gets sent back to driftir@, no matter where it was from.

driftir77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Detroit
no the thing is i can't make accounts for all my e-mail addresses. they are mostly aliases. there isn't a real account associated with them.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Originally posted by driftir77
no the thing is i can't make accounts for all my e-mail addresses. they are mostly aliases. there isn't a real account associated with them.

_But_ in Mail.app you do this by creating new Mail.app accounts. This has no bearing on whether or not they are real accounts. Set the SMTP server the same for all of them.

Then when you send a message, select the personality you want from the list provided.

I do this. I know it works.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
so you have it setup so the only real address at your website is driftir@domain.com and it is a catchall for all these other accounts.

Now you want to actually email from these accounts that dont exist?

Sorry bro, but you need to go on your mail server and make these a full account, and you can still check them all from mail.. and you can have them all come in your inbox or be sorted by rules..

- Doc

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Originally posted by stcanard
_But_ in Mail.app you do this by creating new Mail.app accounts. This has no bearing on whether or not they are real accounts. Set the SMTP server the same for all of them.

Then when you send a message, select the personality you want from the list provided.

I do this. I know it works.

Or I could be full of it :)

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
So? Just make accounts for all your addresses, enter a space for the server name on the ones that aren't real, and uncheck the "Automatically check for new mail" flag on those accounts. This is, unfortunately, the best solution I've been able to come up with over the past few years...

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
Or I could be full of it :)

Well, as I think about it it may depend on what kind of spamfiltering your ISP has when you're trying to send. :)

Using the posftfix installation on Panther sure makes things a lot easier, and I never need to email AOL anyway.

[midlly offtopic]

The catchall is a great way to see where your spam comes from ... my incoming server is set up to send all addresses to my domain to a single account.

Then, whenever a webform makes me supply an email address I supply company@domain. When spam starts showing up at that address you know who sold it to them.

[back ontopic]

If you're going to have multiple personalities the absolute best email client to manage them is mutt. Set up the send-hooks and folder-hooks properly and you don't even have to think about it.

I may end up drifiting from Mail.app back to Mutt just for that reason alone.

driftir77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Detroit
your suggestions were fabulous, and i got mail.app to work perfectly. my domain is fine for that kind of stuff, and spam is the reason i do it. i love the ability to company@domain. it's fabulous. and thanks for the Mutt tip I might just check it out sometime. but for now i shall go and enjoy mail. thanks to your suggestions!

cosmictwin

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2003
Pasadena, CA
using multiple addresses in one account

Have you tried separating your multi email addresses using comma in the Account pane email addy text box?

I use one 'real' IMAP account and shove about 20 different aliases into it. Apple Mail.app Help says:
1. Open Mail and choose Mail > Preferences.
2. Click Accounts.
3. Select an account.
4. Enter all your addresses in the email address field, separated by commas. For example, webmaster@example.org, sales@example.org, support@example.org.
5. Close the Preferences window and click Save in the message that appears.

This will put a pull-down list when you compose email allowing you to select the address you want the email to appear to be from. Works for me ... now if I could figure out how to automagically correlate the signature to the address I choose (although the Signature has a pull-down list feature which is nice)
:)

driftir77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Detroit
what a great suggestion! i will try that out today, thank you so much. that appears to be *exactly* the answer i was looking for.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I learn something new every day :)

I wonder if I you could use AppleScript to link everything together and do identity / signature switching?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.