Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
All their recent success:

iOS 8 - quickest and most popular adoption
Yosemite - quickest and one of the more stable recent releases
Can't keep the things in stock
Mac mini kept as a gateway product
iCloud photo library - got me there
Don't need regular refreshes just to make sales. Their products have a longer shelf life than most other pcs.

The stock market is crazy.
Ftfy

Seriously though. If the new mini came with standard quad core or even higher and maybe even more power with 1TB ssd and at least a half assed graphics, many of us would have not even bought a nMP. They know how to milk cash.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
There's an easy way to know when the top is near. If Taxis drivers, or hotel cleaning lady starts telling you to buy stock or start telling you they dabble in stocks, then sell everything... Worked well in the 2000 and 2008 debacle for me :).

Borrowed with or without knowledge from the famous Joe Kennedy line about how he decided to get out of the stock market before the 1929 crash when his shoeshine boy gave him a stock tip. After he made that (possibly apocryphal) claim, the "shoeshine boy affect" become a sort of shorthand for contrarian investing. The problem of course is that it's impossible to know when markets are peaking or bottoming out until after it happens.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
When Apple's stock price is low, and when their profits are less than the year before, people say its a sign of failure.

When Apple are doing well financially, people say 'money isn't everything, it's good products that matter.' Apple can't win.

What do you expect haters to say? ;)

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Not bad for a company 'doomed to failure' after Steve Jobs died. ;):D:eek::cool::apple:

One guy I know lost a bundle selling Apple stock short right after the split.

----------

Ftfy

Seriously though. If the new mini came with standard quad core or even higher and maybe even more power with 1TB ssd and at least a half assed graphics, many of us would have not even bought a nMP. They know how to milk cash.

Yes and no. It is a milked product for sure. However, I bet the Mac Mini refresh is a "Plan B" that they went with since suppliers could not match the need for a quad cord Mac Mini.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
All their recent fails:

iOS 8 problems
Yosemite problems
Not enough iPhones
Mac mini RAM nit being upgradeable
iCloud photo library
No Apple TV update
No new MacBook Air
No refresh on regular iMacs

The stock market is crazy.

Software has problems
Software has problems
"Gosh, we're in trouble because so many people want our product"
Neither is the RAM in almost every Apple product now
Yeah, I'd like to see it
It's been getting software updates and is on par with competing devices
What's wrong with the update from earlier this year?
What's wrong with the iMacs for sale now?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
It won't last, it never does. I think the market has factored in huge sales for the Apple Watch which isn't all that logical given that all the other smart watches out there haven't exactly set the world on fire. Not saying it won't sell well, but there's no guarantee it will.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
This is a travesty. If they could find even cheaper slave labor then they could have been worth $800 billion trillion million. The shareholders must be fuming.

Please correct this. I suggest finding the ultimate in cheap labor. How about afghanistani toddlers? Don't even have to pay them.

:p

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I hear you. Been waiting over 2.5 weeks now for a pre-ordered Verizon iPhone 6 with 64 GB in Space Gray... 2.5 weeks??

I waited almost a month for mine (same model), so don't feel too special. It's worth it!

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Borrowed with or without knowledge from the famous Joe Kennedy line about how he decided to get out of the stock market before the 1929 crash when his shoeshine boy gave him a stock tip. After he made that (possibly apocryphal) claim, the "shoeshine boy effect" become a sort of shorthand for contrarian investing. The problem of course is that it's impossible to know when markets are peaking or bottoming out until after it happens.

It's also pretty classist, condescending and snide. The idea that someone's occupation necessarily has a bearing on their intelligence or aptitude for anything is, to put it bluntly, stupid.

Unless they're in congress or professional sports, of course.

^Mostly joking.

----------

One guy I know lost a bundle selling Apple stock short right after the split.

Unless a stock never has any bad days, anyone can lose money on even the best stock with a well-timed sell.

----------

I remember back in the day, when I gentleman drove his car up to our cross-country meet and offered free shoes to the runners, I wish I kept my pair! Mr. Knight was desperate to get his and Mr. Bowerman's product to runners. Who knew?

Huh?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Sell short!

If you dare.

You know there are always people who sold short. They will always tell you on a day when AAPL dropped down a bit that they sold short just four days earlier at the top.

I've never actually seen any who claimed that he had sold short _right now_. Only ever people who sold short in the past.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
It's cute that you think you gave me an "education".... when you really have done nothing of the sort. But keep thinking it. LOL

I'm not sure who you insulted with that post...

----------

It won't last, it never does. I think the market has factored in huge sales for the Apple Watch which isn't all that logical given that all the other smart watches out there haven't exactly set the world on fire. Not saying it won't sell well, but there's no guarantee it will.

There is no guarantee that you will make it until the end of the day, but we (at least I) live our lives with that assumption.

My prediction on the :apple:Watch:
First edition will be the "cool kids" - about 25million units WW Sales
Second edition will be the popularity growing - about 75 million WW Sales
Third Edition: Everyone will have one - about 150 million WW Sales

That prediction, and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You know there are always people who sold short. They will always tell you on a day when AAPL dropped down a bit that they sold short just four days earlier at the top.

I've never actually seen any who claimed that he had sold short _right now_. Only ever people who sold short in the past.

True story. Which only proves the point that everyone is good at predicting the past, but very few can predict the future.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's also pretty classist, condescending and snide. The idea that someone's occupation necessarily has a bearing on their intelligence or aptitude for anything is, to put it bluntly, stupid.

Unless they're in congress or professional sports, of course.

^Mostly joking.

Maybe, but at the heart of this anecdote (whether it is literally true or not) is a serious point: markets are a form of herd behavior, and success can come from knowing when to do just the opposite of what the herd is doing. For those who claim this is simply a matter of being smarter than the herd, I would express great skepticism. In market terms this would mean selling out in a rising stock market and buying into a plunging one (when our brains are shouting at us to do just the opposite), and to time it well enough to not have been better off sitting tight. Outsmarting the markets is hard enough, but just try outsmarting your own brain, and see how well you do.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Maybe, but at the heart of this anecdote (whether it is literally true or not) is a serious point: markets are a form of herd behavior, and success can come from knowing when to do just the opposite of what the herd is doing.

That's kinda what I was trying to get at when I talked about "eventually everyone will own Apple, and..."

I just didn't explain it right =P

For those who claim this is simply a matter of being smarter than the herd, I would express great skepticism. In market terms this would mean selling out in a rising stock market and buying into a plunging one (when our brains are shouting at us to do just the opposite), and to time it well enough to not have been better off sitting tight. Outsmarting the markets is hard enough, but just try outsmarting your own brain, and see how well you do.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Quite the opposite, actually ;)

It's even harder as a man to invest. Our brains are telling us we should make impulsive decisions, which tend not to work out all that well as an investment strategy. Hence women tend to fare better.

Honestly, whenever I'm impulsive, I lose money (almost always). When I fight the urge to buy/sell quickly, I tend to make money.

----------

This is a travesty. If they could find even cheaper slave labor then they could have been worth $800 billion trillion million. The shareholders must be fuming.

Please correct this. I suggest finding the ultimate in cheap labor. How about afghanistani toddlers? Don't even have to pay them.

:p

They could power the machines with their wails of misery!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I don't disagree with anything you've said. Quite the opposite, actually ;)

It's even harder as a man to invest. Our brains are telling us we should make impulsive decisions, which tend not to work out all that well as an investment strategy. Hence women tend to fare better.

Honestly, whenever I'm impulsive, I lose money (almost always). When I fight the urge to buy/sell quickly, I tend to make money.

As often as not that damned amygdala sends us the wrong signals, to jump when we should stand and stand when we should jump. Our brains are dirty tricksters.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yes and no. It is a milked product for sure. However, I bet the Mac Mini refresh is a "Plan B" that they went with since suppliers could not match the need for a quad cord Mac Mini.

The mini went back to being what it was supposed to be: A cheap machine that windows users can rip their Windoze box out and replace it with the mini.

Apple is all in on the idea of cannibalization being a good thing, but they aren't exactly stupid. They either wanted to do this to put people more upscale to get the power, or they had a technical reason.

Either way, the more disturbing part for me is they are distancing themselves from their server software product. Yet once again courting 'enterprise users'.

Kinda makes me wonder...

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Either way, the more disturbing part for me is they are distancing themselves from their server software product. Yet once again courting 'enterprise users'.

Kinda makes me wonder...

Server hardware is not as much volume as consumer. When they discontinued their Xserver rack mount, that was the beginning of the end.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
As often as not that damned amygdala sends us the wrong signals, to jump when we should stand and stand when we should jump. Our brains are dirty tricksters.

Mine's out of control. Soaked in adrenaline, testosterone and... whatever provokes anxiety. Serotonin deficiencies? =P

But yeah it's true lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.