Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Seeming increasingly unlikely they'll refresh the MacBooks in March.

By refresh, I mean... overhaul. They are so overdue for a rework. The MBA doesn't make sense, the MB is so restrictive, and the MBP is overkill for a lot of applications. My choices are to get too much or too little MacBook.

I'd be happy if they revamped to:
MacBook - 12" and 14" options, 2 USBc ports, a wide variety of processor options
MacBook Pro - 16", several ports, top of the line processor

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
And how is this any different than the past 3 'events'?
Thinner, faster iPad, iPhone something, Apple Music this or that, some accessory.

Meanwhile the Mac lineup rots on the vine.

Can't wait for the stock to skyrocket...

True. I feel like next to No attention is given to Mac and RMBP line of devices. It's like they're focused on iPhone iPad and Apple cars.
Poor desktops and laptops are just .... Ugh
So sad.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

By refresh, I mean... overhaul. They are so overdue for a rework. The MBA doesn't make sense, the MB is so restrictive, and the MBP is overkill for a lot of applications. My choices are to get too much or too little MacBook.

MacBook - 12" and 14" options, 2 USBc ports, a wide variety of processor options

Would be awesome to have the MacBook's updated as a "One last thing..."

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I hope so. My wallet is ready for the refreshed 12inch MacBook.
My wallet is ready for so many things. Apple just doesn't keep up.
At least the proper iPhone option looks to be materialising, while the 'macs languish forlornly.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I am looking forward to the new iPad and it would be nice if they did a MacBook series refresh. I was expecting to see to see a new watch but now it could be that they are doing a major redesign on it rather than just an spec bump

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I hope so. My wallet is ready for the refreshed 12inch MacBook.

I love the looks and color options of the new macbooks, but a core M processor for the same price as the much better entry level macbook pro???

I'm hoping to see a refresh with a few more options and a lower starting price. They apparently didn't fly of the shelves... can't imagine why.

Reactions: Count Blah

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I love the looks and color options of the new macbooks, but a core M processor for the same price as the much better entry level macbook pro???

I'm hoping to see a refresh with a few more options and a lower starting price. They apparently didn't fly of the shelves... can't imagine why.
Given your join date, I assume you remember the $1700 cube. No matter how much apple wants to NOT believe price pays a part, it does.

800-MHz in 2015/2016, 1 port, sky high price, etc... To me, that equals dust collector.

Reactions: smulji

LillDrutten

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008

Mac Book Air might be EOL, replaced by Mac Book.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Given your join date, I assume you remember the $1700 cube. No matter how much apple wants to NOT believe price pays a part, it does.

800-MHz in 2015/2016, 1 port, sky high price, etc... To me, that equals dust collector.

The MacBook Air was in the same predicament when it first came out and look where it is today. I mean you must remember that the 64GB SSD option for the MBA was a $1000 upgrade alone when it was first released.

The MacBook will be fine. Time will push its price down to acceptable levels, just like how the MBA did.

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Why exactly would they refresh the MacBook after only a year? What are you expecting they are going to improve? A processor bump? They don't need an event for that.
If they have an event anyway and the announced products aren't earth-shattering, why not announce the processor bump for the MacBook their as well? And if they announce a redesigned MBP, then mentioning the MB processor bump as well makes perfect sense.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If the Macbook is to replace the MBA i think Apple needs to release more screen sizes, a 15" Macbook would be great. If not they should at least give the MBA a retina screen. Is this year suppose to be a major redesign for the Mac's? if so then maybe WWDC or later and we will see them.

Last years events were different, we saw a March event (same as this year) followed by WWDC and then a big September event, no October event like the years before it, so maybe this is Apple setting a new plan for when they hold events. If this is the case we could see the MacBooks at either the March event or at WWDC.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
I sold my Air 2 with the hope that Air 3 would be worth more (silly I know). Anxious to have an iPad again.

AT&T has a 128GB Air 2 with LTE for $605 (certified refurbished) and am very tempted.

Ditto. Sold early and I'm disappointed to see the delay. Might go "rent" an iPad for a few weeks from Apple. Really miss lounging with the iPad on the couch and in bed.

Reactions: jbachandouris

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Honestly, there is something more to this event than what has been discussed on the OP. Apple is smart to understand having just an iPad Pro, watch bands and iPhone 5se is not enough to justify a media event.
Either there are new MacBooks, Macs or displays on the horizon or something unexpected, they will shoot themselves on the feet if nothing besides the rumored is announced.
Tim will make a fool of himself on stage. I don't expect that to happen, so there is "one more thing".

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
All I see is a bunch of people saying there is no need for an event, if they are releasing the rumored products. But, that is just it, obviously they have something big to announce. Maybe even an Apple Car teaser? I doubt that but, Apple isn't stupid. There will "be on more thing...".

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
I'd be happy if iCloud just worked the way it was supposed to.

I've never had any serious issues with iCloud functioning the way it was intended, but it seems clunky and a little behind the times compared to Google and MS Office 365. Google and MS are software companies, so it makes sense that their products are better than Apple's. I just think Apple of all companies has the resources to make iCloud a true competitor.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
I've never had any serious issues with iCloud functioning the way it was intended, but it seems clunky and a little behind the times compared to Google and MS Office 365. Google and MS are software companies, so it makes sense that their products are better than Apple's. I just think Apple of all companies has the resources to make iCloud a true competitor.
They have the resources, that is for sure. They just seem to have bigger things to deal with. Who knows though, I would love an new iCloud.

Reactions: 8281
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.