Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.6; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1111101157; U; en) Presto/2.9.201 Version/11.50)

Most of the Nexus reviews seem to suggest, that this feature doesn't work very well, though.

Well it depends on the lighting and if you're wearing makeup, like in ICS keynote, the person was wearing make up, that's why it didn't work.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
It just never got much traction beyond some Federal use for highly secure environments and some vertical integration into things like security devices at entry points (Universal Studio uses a fingerprint scanner at the entrance). My HP Winders© machine has one ... worked OK, when I upgraded to Win7 I never got functional drivers on it.

My [since returned] Motorola Atrix had a fingerprint scanner on the on/off/sleep button, so you could swipe to unlock ... it was a little wonky, I wound up not using it (maybe with longer ownership I would've gotten good at swiping, it was kind of off angle on the top-rear).

We looked at one of the APIs to use it for a "quick validator" for some of our Federal apps, was interesting, but everything we do is web based, so there wasn't a simple way to access the interface in a "pure web" based implementation.

Try vista drivers if you can. They are the same as 7's for the most part. Some manufacturers never updated their websites to say so.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
All they have to do is require the person to blink once to unlock it, that would close the "photo" loophole!

And what does it matter if a picture can unlock it? If someone trying to unlock it has a picture of you -- chances are high that said person is a friend, not a foe. If you really want to secure your phone, this is obviously not the method you'd use, but for just keeping strangers out of a phone, it's a really useful tool.

People tend to forget this is not a "password" but a "username". As for the blinking trick, dual cameras seem more robust. Granted, it adds a few bucks, but nothing big.

----------

Is not a feature that needs server processing

Idea would be to allow for syncing devices (in the background) over the cloud. Further, by pulling data into the cloud they'd be able to make their algorithms better. But... i wouldn't want to give Apple that data to begin with. Bad enough as is.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.6; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1111101157; U; en) Presto/2.9.201 Version/11.50)

thenerdal said:
Burger Thing said:
Most of the Nexus reviews seem to suggest, that this feature doesn't work very well, though.

Well it depends on the lighting and if you're wearing makeup, like in ICS keynote, the person was wearing make up, that's why it didn't work.

Sorry, Ladyboys, no facial recognition for you then.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Face Unlock is pretty useless on phones IMO, as the time it takes is nearly equivalent to a passcode unlock (by the time you hold it up to your face), and it is less secure.

On an iPad though, it could be useful with multiple users.

But first, iOS should add multiple-user account support.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I wrote a facial recognition system like this for the Flash platform a couple years ago. I was detecting both skin tone as well as eye color.

Cool. I love people who experiment like that.

Reminds me of the mid-80s when I played with voice recognition and put an IR detector on the microphone boom to "read the lips" of the speaker at the same time, in order to help the computer figure out which kind of sound he was making.

It worked pretty well, but the problem was the variance in light as compared to the original saved facial profile for the user.
... snip
Since the iPad has a camera that auto-adjusts for exposure, I wonder how Apple plans to deal with light variance. Perhaps they ran into the same problem I did.

Skimming the patent, they're apparently not using this for the recognition itself, but more as a way to start up the recognition whenever a person comes toward and stands still while facing the device. They then might use eye, nose, mouth coordinates for the actual recognition.

As I mentioned before, I don't think it's that useful, especially since it's only geared towards noticing lighter skinned people (and that's who were in the included test photo).

Or perhaps it's actually designed to recognize Oompa Loompas, since it keys off the color Orange. Aha! That would explain a LOT about rumored secret Apple factories.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I wrote a facial recognition system like this for the Flash platform a couple years ago. I was detecting both skin tone as well as eye color. It worked pretty well, but the problem was the variance in light as compared to the original saved facial profile for the user. Since most webcam CCD sensors auto-adjust for light exposure levels, it made compensating for light fluctuations infeasible. I determined that this kind of system would only work as a fixed installation, in a room with a controlled light source.

Since the iPad has a camera that auto-adjusts for exposure, I wonder how Apple plans to deal with light variance. Perhaps they ran into the same problem I did.

Sounds really cool...
I first thought was could you use the screen as a light source to take general lighting out of the equation?
Maybe not white light but if you strobed the screen through a range of colours then skin would reflect each colour differently but I'm wondering if the relative intensities of each colour would be the same regardless of other lighting conditions?

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

Sorry, Ladyboys, no facial recognition for you then.

No face rec. for Pinay security guards either. If anyone can give ladyboys a run for their (make-up) money, its them!

Reaper0bot0

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
I own a Galaxy Nexus. This feature works pretty reliably.

I don't use it much, though. Nothing on my phone I need locked down, really. Also, you can't get to the camera from the lockscreen when using it.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Cool. I love people who experiment like that.

Reminds me of the mid-80s when I played with voice recognition and put an IR detector on the microphone boom to "read the lips" of the speaker at the same time, in order to help the computer figure out which kind of sound he was making.

Cool! I've only ever played with IR detectors with proximity in mind, but detecting lip positions is a novel use!

Skimming the patent, they're apparently not using this for the recognition itself, but more as a way to start up the recognition whenever a person comes toward and stands still while facing the device. They then might use eye, nose, mouth coordinates for the actual recognition.

As I mentioned before, I don't think it's that useful, especially since it's only geared towards noticing lighter skinned people (and that's who were in the included test photo).

Right...yes, if they're only keying off orange tones, they'll have the same problem HP did. But if the iPad keeps a database of all its facial profiles, it could use these as tone ranges -- with error room for lighting variances -- to loop through and key off of. But if they're only using color matching and not using any facial detection in order to save power, I imagine there would be a lot of false positives, thus somewhat negating the low power benefit if it's constantly triggering facial detection calculations.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
No, i don't own a Galaxy Nexus, but I know people who do. The facial unlock isn't meant to be a security feature, it's just meant to be something other than the slide to unlock feature.

Well, I was just asking because I find most people who defend the Nexus don't actually own one. It's more of a platform wars kind of argument rather than an experience kind of thing. It's quite easy to say "I'm sure it's fine", when it doesn't actually affect you.

However, I have to disagree with you. Unlocking a phone is very much a "security feature" and I'm very confused when people say it isn't, especially on a phone that has NFC for making payments straight out of your bank account. Looking at the setup screens, the phone does warn you that face unlock is less secure than other forms of locking. However, what I want to know is when does the phone say, "Hey, you know, now that you have your $20,000 credit limit discover card attached to me, you really shouldn't be using face unlock anymore". Or perhaps, "Your corporate email server requires that you use an unlock mechanism more secure than face unlock".

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Wow, taking a patent which already plays role in devices running android, so they can sue them for it. Now that just got me.

Never thought about life without OSX, but my new mini may be my last. I know I would have ditched a company in any other industry if they behaved this way long ago, its just a damn shame I can't have my shiny awesome mini while giving my money to an ethical company too.

Apple, many of us were drawn to you for your companies morals and outlook. Your company would still flourish even with parts being made/assembled in the USA. Your company would still flourish if you did not sue every company that looked your way. Your company would still flourish if you supported the communities that you serve.

----------

Well, I was just asking because I find most people who defend the Nexus don't actually own one. It's more of a platform wars kind of argument rather than an experience kind of thing. It's quite easy to say "I'm sure it's fine", when it doesn't actually affect you.

However, I have to disagree with you. Unlocking a phone is very much a "security feature" and I'm very confused when people say it isn't, especially on a phone that has NFC for making payments straight out of your bank account. Looking at the setup screens, the phone does warn you that face unlock is less secure than other forms of locking. However, what I want to know is when does the phone say, "Hey, you know, now that you have your $20,000 credit limit discover card attached to me, you really shouldn't be using face unlock anymore". Or perhaps, "Your corporate email server requires that you use an unlock mechanism more secure than face unlock".

Unfortunately, if your picture is anywhere that can be found on a social site or through a search engine, a picture of you will take away any possible security features that a facial unlock feature could have (at least until we have the hardware possible, but that will not be seen in a mobile device for some time). Anybody looking for a security type lock would use a number pad or a very long custom design (at least for android), which would take an almost infinite amount of time to crack.

meatballs

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
on your plate
Ummm so if I find something cool on the family iPad I have to message or email it to the other family members. I can't show them directly because then I am logged off and the information gone. Huge Apple fail!

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Winni said:
Hey Samsung, did you get that?

I apologize for raining on your parade, but somebody needs to tell you that Android 4 already has face recognition for authentication built in. It's just ANOTHER feature that Apple "borrows" from Android.

The patent was filed in June of 2010. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Android had even started work on ICS.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Sounds really cool...
I first thought was could you use the screen as a light source to take general lighting out of the equation?
Maybe not white light but if you strobed the screen through a range of colours then skin would reflect each colour differently but I'm wondering if the relative intensities of each colour would be the same regardless of other lighting conditions?

The screen would have to be pretty bright to have an effect in a lit room. The problem with the auto-exposure adjustments is that let's say, for simplicity's sake, the iPad captures Bob as RGB value 200/100/200. Bob takes his iPad on the train, and the camera sees Bob's face as 150/135/175. How would the iPad know how the lighting conditions of the location? How would it know that sunlight is reflecting off the green seat and casting a bit more green on his face? I had thought about using an RGB key card (like TV camera operators used to do) to determine the color balance for the room, but never tried that because for one, it's a very awkward solution for a user.

Your idea of casting monotone colors onto the face is interesting, but in terms of the iPad patent at least, it sort of defeats the purpose of being a low-power detection method if it has to constantly pulse colors at full brightness.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

Unlocking a device could be a security feature, as highlighted it could just as well be a simple matter of having your phone in "lock-mode" (Cf. old-school key-locks). That said, there certainly is a risk of people trusting technology to be the former, when all it is is the latter. But thats a matter of communication.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Wow, taking a patent which already plays role in devices running android, so they can sue them for it. Now that just got me.

No, this patent is not about typical facial recognition methods. This patent is about using facial color tones to detect whether a face is near the screen. Using this method saves power as it doesn't have to constantly perform the kind of CPU-hungry calculations that are part of typical facial recognition algorithms.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

thenerdal said:
Apple had better make this compatible with the original iPad or I will stomp my feet and say mean things.

Original iPad doesn't have cameras.

He was being funny...

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Vocal vs. Facial

Why not just use personal regonition using vocalization apps? Seems it would be much easier to do, and be much more difficult to fool.

Some people are just born paranoid.

( What if some disgruntled programmer at Apple decided to put a death ray into the iPad camera, thus killing thousands? Eek! )

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Unlocking a device could be a security feature, as highlighted it could just as well be a simple matter of having your phone in "lock-mode" (Cf. old-school key-locks). That said, there certainly is a risk of people trusting technology to be the former, when all it is is the latter. But thats a matter of communication.

Well, but that's kind of dodging the issue. You are talking about the difference between say slide-to-unlock and a secure pin unlock. If you are claiming that facial unlock is only a complicated and slow replacement for slide to unlock, then I just don't see the point in it at all other than fun.

But then, I guess that isn't surprising coming from me since I kinda said that earlier. :p

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011

I like all platforms, but never owned any of them. I tried out iOS, tried out Windows Phone, tried out Android, watched videos of each, researched all three, even kept up with the news about them. I pretty much know everything for each platform, because I love tech.

iOS is a nice OS, but it's getting a bit boring to me, I'd like to see a new UI or something. But I love Apple's support and the fact that it's so smooth. Android is a nice OS too. It's more customizable, which I like, and has a lot more features than iOS. Windows Phone is a nice OS too, it's pretty original and has a nice UI.

Overall, they're all great platforms, but it depends on the user to which is better for them.

It really depends on what type of unlocking you want. If you want a secure lock, the slide to unlock feature is not secure. If you want a regular lock that will lock the screen for you so that when you put the phone in your pocket, it won't accidentally turn on, then the slide to unlock feature is the lock for it.

Facial unlock is more secure than slide to unlock, but less secure than a passcode lock.

And NFC is highly secure.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Well, but that's kind of dodging the issue. You are talking about the difference between say slide-to-unlock and a secure pin unlock. If you are claiming that facial unlock is only a complicated and slow replacement for slide to unlock, then I just don't see the point in it at all other than fun.

But then, I guess that isn't surprising coming from me since I kinda said that earlier. :p

First, it wouldn't necessarily be slow, and it would certainly not be complicated. Second, its not only a replacement for slide-to-unlock - it also allows the computer to know who is using it (i.e. replacing the username).

Of course, one could achieve the same thing with swipe-to-unlock and a seeing screen (Cf. Microsofts work), reading your fingerprint. Guess i should patent that, before Apple do....

Dark-Sider

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Hi,

years ago I saw windows laptops with webcams that did a windows logon based on facial recognition.

mutliple user accounts in one system exist like centuries.

apple, please stop those stupid patents!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.