Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
So true - I have six UPS systems at home, and one for everyone's system at work.
Yes, I do have a 5 hr UPS powering my TiVo and my cable box. You don't?
I'm on my third or fourth set of six, I've had Belkins, APCs, Tripp-Lites and some new Eco-Something or other thing. They last a few years and then I replace them all. It's not worth the hassle to replace the batteries, and it seems like they get better for the same price every time I get new ones.

I have three at the office as well, despite being in "Silicon Beach" the power is utter rubbish, and we frequently have outages, and it's not unusual to watch voltages fluctuate from 100-140 volts for several minutes (it's probably longer than that, but it's not that interesting to watch.)

Cable? that's for rich people. I just get OTA with a DVR and binge watch a set of DVDs here and there. The last thing I need to do is watch more TV.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I see people commenting on the image of the new Mac Pro with a bunch of external devices and cables attached to it, and I think to myself - why would PROFESSIONALS care either way? It's typically the home/mainstream users who care about how minimalist their desks are and how a machine fits into their decor.

As a professional who has owned Apple towers since before they were PowerPC, I can attest to the fact that almost all of them had been placed under a desk, off to the side, out of the way. Only in a few cases have I had the unit up on my desk in plain sight.

What's interesting is this is the first 'tower' from Apple that I actually really WANT to place on my desk next to my cinema displays. All the other bits that are connected to it can stay under my desk or out of the way somewhere - just like external drives, audio interface and others that are connected to my 09 model.

Exactly! Well said.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
IP over Thunderbolt will take a piss on your render farm.

Post of the week here.

not quite.. i'm pretty sure IP over thunderbolt isn't possible at this time..

(well, i definitely think it's possible but you can't do it with osx right now.. i haven't been closely following mavericks development so maybe this capability has been hooked up in the beta OS?)

turns out, portishead was right all along ;)

didn't see this til recently but in case anyone interested missed it:

--------------------------------(from the mac pro site)
High-speed collaboration.
With Thunderbolt 2 you can connect to your workgroup via SAN or NAS shared storage with up to 20Gb/s of bandwidth. Want to hook up for a simple and fast local transfer? IP over Thunderbolt support in OS X Mavericks gives you a 10Gb connection to another Mac for the cost of a mere cable. Connect several Mac Pro systems together with Thunderbolt cables and you have an instant network render cluster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.