Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
This pic show the iphone 5 wider if you measure both on your screen.

But this picture doesn't show the iPhone 5. The logo and lettering are stuck on. The camera lens isn't even centered on the radius of the case corner for heavens sake.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
A USB port has 4 pins, 2 for power and 2 for data.
Apple uses the data pins in their chargers to tell the iOS device how much to draw.
They do this by outputting a specific small DC voltage on the data pins.
The iPhone looks for the voltage and sets its charge rate accordingly.
That is why an iPhone will draw 1A when connected to an iPhone charger (or any other charger built to Apple's specs) but only draw .5A from a computer port.
The iPad does the same and draws 1A from an iPhone charger and 2A from an iPad charger.
It would not surprise me in the least to learn that the iPhone has a 3rd setting in its firmware that allows it to draw 2A when it sees that it's connected to an iPad charger.
The iPhone will not draw more than 5W. It doesn't take the Hadron Collider to test it.

The iPhone doesn't know or care if it is connected to an iPhone charger, iPad charger, or a 10 megawatt charger (at 5v): it will only draw up to 5 watts.

Michael

Last edited:

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
The allegedly wider looking iPhone is probably as a result of the iPhone 4 resting on the same height as the new iPhone. With the latter being taller (hence closer to the camera), and at that camera angle it appears to be slightly wider.

----------

There are a couple of details that are not very convincing here:

1. the phone's left side, close to headphone jack, is dented, showing a kind of soft material.

2. the speakers "holes" are too big compared than those on the actual Ipad.

3. Looking closer at the holes, you can notice a lack of precision around their edge.

Conclusion: The picture may showing a nice "homemade" work, made with a not professional cutting machine and probability based on the iPhone 5 leaked design....if this it's real as well

I'm hoping for radical design change from Apple...we deserve it!!!

Probably just a rejected part or prototype.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Am a bit suprised someone would choose to buy a phone based more on what it looks then what it does! So far we know none of next gen iPhone specs! Each to their own i guess! My iPhone is always in a protective case anyway! I'ts the phone of my choice because of how good it is on what it does and not because of the design. Though i like the design too.

If it's a choice between a white and black iPhone, I have nothing but the appearance to base my decision. As for the overall phone, I'm sporting an iPhone 4 and want 4G. I'm not leaving the Apple ecosystem without something extraordinarily enticing being offered by Android phones.

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
That is why an iPhone will draw 1A when connected to an iPhone charger (or any other charger built to Apple's specs) but only draw .5A from a computer port.

It will only draw 500mA from a USB port on a computer, because that is the maximum draw allowed by the USB specification.

Every single USB device will draw 100mA when first connected to a USB port on a computer, and will then negotiate the supply current up to a maximum of 500mA.

Chargers, etc. can supply more and be proprietary, because they don't have to conform to the spec.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
It will only draw 500mA from a USB port on a computer, because that is the maximum draw allowed by the USB specification.

That is why it draws 500mA but that is not how it draws 500mA.
Electronic devices will try and draw as much as they need and if Apple had not implemented the safeguards that they did, the iPhone would exceed the capabilities of the USB port.
In very simplistic terms, electricity is not pushed by the charger. It is pulled from the charger by the device and the iPhone and the iPad were both designed to pull at different rates.

Last edited:

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
That is why it draws 500mA but that is not how it draws 500mA.
Electronic devices will try and draw as much as they need and if Apple had not implemented the safeguards that they did, the iPhone would exceed the capabilities of the USB port.
In very simplistic terms, electricity is not pushed by the charger. It is pulled from the charger by the device and the iPhone and the iPad were both designed to pull at different rates.

I understand how it works... I'm an EE on Apple's MFi program.

I was simply pointing out why it's made to only draw 500mA from a USB port.

wahab123

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Back in February, iMore was the first source to claim that Apple will be introducing a smaller dock connector for its iOS devices, with the claim now being supported by a number of other sources and evidence in the form of part leaks showing a much smaller opening in the casing of what is claimed to be the next-generation iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.