Apple's Newest Japan Store Features 'Green' Wall for Climate Control

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's upcoming Omotesando retail store located in Japan may incorporate a unique "green curtain" of vines and plants to help with climate control, according to Japanese Apple site Mac Otakara [Google Translation].

[​IMG]

Though much of the store remains hidden under large curtains, one entire wall of the building appears to be entirely covered with plant life, which the site suggests is used to insulate the store to save energy. Toyko, where the store is located, can get quite hot and humid during the summer months.

The store's construction walls also show off a leafy design, hinting at its unusually "green" exterior. In recent years, Apple has committed itself to lowering its carbon footprint, utilizing 94 percent renewable energy for both its data centers and corporate facilities. Apple was featured as a "Green Energy Innovator" by Greenpeace back in April, and the company has also hired former EPA chief Lisa Jackson to head up its environmental initiatives.

[​IMG]
    Image courtesy of Twitter user @OMS_Kayman

While the Omotesando store design appears to be Apple's first of that nature, it is possible the company will adopt a similar strategy for future stores should it prove successful.

The new Omotesando store with its unique green wall may be opening as soon as June.

Article Link: Apple's Newest Japan Store Features 'Green' Wall for Climate Control

2. macrumors member

...to be continued.

I'm sure we'll hear about this during the introduction of WWDC.

3. macrumors 6502

redscull

It's unlike them to make a storefront out of anything but monocolor rock/metal and glass. I'd love to see more green Apple stores like this!

4. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

If you think about, Apple is a fruit, so going green... it just works!

5. macrumors 6502

Nice, I live right down the street. Will have to go check this out

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors member

sprezz

Some green never hurts, especially in japans cities. Look at how dense everyone is living, doesn't surprise me that they've created a garden wall, great on every concrete highrise...

8. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Grrrr... Japan, why must you be so awesome :O

9. macrumors 6502a

"can get quite hot and humid during the summer months."

Well that's quite the understatement. Japanese summers can be brutal, and with the self restraint regarding using any cooling, something like this is more than just showing off corporate social responsibility.

----------

You would be surprised how green and leafy many parts of Tokyo really are, especially at this time of year.

10. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    From a hot summer perspective I can see how a plant wall can provide some benefits. My question is how does this work in the winter months? I don't know tokyo's weather, so not sure how cold it gets. But my question is more general in the sense that most ivy dies off in the winter cold, so I don't think it would provide much insulation.

11. macrumors member

Wow

It's just ivy. And from own experience: they better hire a gecko or Spiderman as an employee.
    ©bruchsal.org

Attached Files:

12. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

I love green walls, id worry about vandalism in the UK tho, they must be relatively fragile.

13. macrumors member

14. macrumors 68000

Take it to the rooftops.

I'd like to see greenery on the roof where it could make the most out of shading sunlight, instead of in the shade between buildings.

15. macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

16. macrumors 68000

Where is New York?

17. macrumors newbie

Don't you mean New Yrok?

18. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Lucky you. Japan is the one place in the whole world I really care to visit. I wish I was younger tho.

----------

I would say hire a Gecko as those walls may already be infested with spiders... :D

----------

"A Garden Wall for a Walled Garden"

19. macrumors 6502

The Life Sciences building at Drexel University has a huge bio-wall. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. 5 stories high, pumping out lots and lots of oxygen.

Attached Files:

20. macrumors 68000

patent10021

21. macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I'd like to see Apple go a lot further. It's what Steve would have wanted.

22. macrumors G3

NT1440

One of my biggest mistakes in life was turning down my acceptance to Drexel, not that I could afford it, but man would that have been an amazing place to go.

23. macrumors 6502

street.cory

Whooosh