Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming Omotesando retail store located in Japan may incorporate a unique "green curtain" of vines and plants to help with climate control, according to Japanese Apple site Mac Otakara [Google Translation].

omotesandostore.jpg

Though much of the store remains hidden under large curtains, one entire wall of the building appears to be entirely covered with plant life, which the site suggests is used to insulate the store to save energy. Toyko, where the store is located, can get quite hot and humid during the summer months.

The store's construction walls also show off a leafy design, hinting at its unusually "green" exterior. In recent years, Apple has committed itself to lowering its carbon footprint, utilizing 94 percent renewable energy for both its data centers and corporate facilities. Apple was featured as a "Green Energy Innovator" by Greenpeace back in April, and the company has also hired former EPA chief Lisa Jackson to head up its environmental initiatives.

japanapplestore.jpg
Image courtesy of Twitter user @OMS_Kayman

While the Omotesando store design appears to be Apple's first of that nature, it is possible the company will adopt a similar strategy for future stores should it prove successful.

The new Omotesando store with its unique green wall may be opening as soon as June.

Article Link: Apple's Newest Japan Store Features 'Green' Wall for Climate Control

jwbrobst

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
...to be continued.

I'm sure we'll hear about this during the introduction of WWDC.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
It's unlike them to make a storefront out of anything but monocolor rock/metal and glass. I'd love to see more green Apple stores like this!

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Nice, I live right down the street. Will have to go check this out

sprezz

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
Some green never hurts, especially in japans cities. Look at how dense everyone is living, doesn't surprise me that they've created a garden wall, great on every concrete highrise...

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
"can get quite hot and humid during the summer months."

Well that's quite the understatement. Japanese summers can be brutal, and with the self restraint regarding using any cooling, something like this is more than just showing off corporate social responsibility.

----------

Some green never hurts, especially in japans cities. Look at how dense everyone is living, doesn't surprise me that they've created a garden wall, great on every concrete highrise...

You would be surprised how green and leafy many parts of Tokyo really are, especially at this time of year.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
From a hot summer perspective I can see how a plant wall can provide some benefits. My question is how does this work in the winter months? I don't know tokyo's weather, so not sure how cold it gets. But my question is more general in the sense that most ivy dies off in the winter cold, so I don't think it would provide much insulation.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I love green walls, id worry about vandalism in the UK tho, they must be relatively fragile.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Take it to the rooftops.

I'd like to see greenery on the roof where it could make the most out of shading sunlight, instead of in the shade between buildings.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Nice, I live right down the street. Will have to go check this out

Lucky you. Japan is the one place in the whole world I really care to visit. I wish I was younger tho.

----------

It's just ivy. And from own experience: they better hire a gecko or Spiderman as an employee.
©bruchsal.org

I would say hire a Gecko as those walls may already be infested with spiders... :D

----------

"A Garden Wall for a Walled Garden"

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
The Life Sciences building at Drexel University has a huge bio-wall. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. 5 stories high, pumping out lots and lots of oxygen.

Attachments

• drexelbiowall.jpg
    drexelbiowall.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 179

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The Life Sciences building at Drexel University has a huge bio-wall. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. 5 stories high, pumping out lots and lots of oxygen.

One of my biggest mistakes in life was turning down my acceptance to Drexel, not that I could afford it, but man would that have been an amazing place to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.