Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Please let the madness stop.

Madness? What madness? Do you yell a scream "stop the madness" duing basketball and football games? Business is a competative sport like most everything. Different people, different rules, different goals, but all in it to make money.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Steve jobs was very special, something that cannot be replicated. I glad Tim Cook isn't trying to do that, and instead is being his own man.

Only the lawyers have been winning the patent wars. It should be the inventors who benefit from progress, and the patent system was set up to try and do that, but it is quite a minefield. It seems the realistic way for an inventor to benefit is licensing. This way everyone benefits. The originator gets the licence fees. All companies get to progress, and the customers get better gadgets. And as Apple are great at applying technology in really useable ways, they will still lead the pack.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
you say iOS 5 like it was the first iteration. Android was a different creature before the iPhone came out, suddenly they rewrite their entire OS to be like iOS. The only reason why android fans think they have the right to say iOS 5 copied Android at all is cause the throw every single idea that pops up into android without checking or testing it for usability. The result is iOS5 would pick a set of tested features but still be accused of copying why? because they didn't just throw the feature out on a Wednesday afternoon and name it over whatever snack the the developer just gobbled down 10 mins earlier.

Just like the notification center. It came out just 10 mins after Android introduced it.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
In the long run, one benefit of Apple fighting (up to a point) is to make sure they’re not seen as a “soft target.” Even if competitors take their ideas and (sometimes) get away with it in the end, at least they’ll know it’s not simple to get away with. Maybe some future “thefts” won’t happen as a result, and we’ll see more real innovation and originality in the market than we would if Apple just sat there and made only token efforts to defend itself.

Of course it’s only worth fighting up to a point.

Also remember that as of about a year ago (and I’ve seen no numbers since), Apple was the most-sued tech company. These battles include a lot of things that seem absurd on the surface, and plenty of them are absurd when fully understood, too—but it’s how the game is played, and Apple can’t be the lone company unwilling to use all available legal tactics. The “war” is a game Apple didn’t invent and can’t choose not to play.

While I agree with the first part, regarding what you said about fighting up to a point, apple can actually afford to do this... most android smartphone makers are not really making that much money per handset they sell... Remember apple has something like 80% of the profits from the smartphone market, which means they can sustain these lawsuits until they drain droidmakers' pockets dry...

----------

Not according to major media associations such as the MPAA and RIAA =P

I'm pretty sure if you try to have "taking on the RIAA one download at a time" engraved on your iPod/iPad, Apple will tell you to change it :D

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
this is a slap in the face of Steve Jobs legacy.

Being complacent and getting along with competitors is not how you blaze a trail that others are falling over each other to catch up on.

just another nail in Apples coffin

you can only ride the coat tails for so long ...

You're a bit of a Debbie Downer, ain't ja mate?

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
I would say the prof is uninformed. Banning a competitors product in some of the largest western markets as Germany and Australia, right when the market itself of tablets is being carved out has immense benefits for apple, and not only immediate ones but long term ones too...How can he fail to see this....ahhhh...academia...lofty empty criticism...

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
This is a joy to read. There were way too many lawsuits Apple was dealing with at once and it was getting to an absolute point of absurdity.

While getting rid of all them is a pipe dream; cutting down many will definitely help them overall in the long run.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
And how is this "tarnished reputation" affecting Apple's bottom line? The new iPad sold greater and faster than the past two iterations. Did i miss something?

You're right, we should judge everything based on single events.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Bloomberg is factually wrong

This is a fabricated piece by Bloomberg to get Apple to settle instead of beating down several of its competitors who have been abusing Apple IP.

Knowing Steve Jobs as my two time boss he will always work deals behind the scenes before pushing for legal action. He has always been amicable when it comes to business.

When nothing reasonable proves fruitful and the abuse is exacerbated then he'll go thermalnuclear.

The deal he brokered with Microsoft to settle the 10 year long patent dispute with Microsoft was mutually beneficial.

Attempting to paint Tim as a passive leader compared to Steve is a mistake and one Bloomberg will soon discover.

Apple legal fees is pittance to their bottom line.

----------

"Good artists copy, great artists steal" -Picasso as repeated by Steve Jobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

Understand the concept of seizing on an idea and seeing it beyond the original designer's intent by pushing it to a level not foreseen by it's creator and then you'll understand Steve's statement and intent.

axonic labs

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
Apple's strength has been it's ability to stay focused on making the best products. Apple needs to get rid of distractions and continue to execute like they have with laser sharp focus.

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
this is a slap in the face of Steve Jobs legacy.

Being complacent and getting along with competitors is not how you blaze a trail that others are falling over each other to catch up on.

just another nail in Apples coffin

you can only ride the coat tails for so long ...

Well said, what a wimp...Steve led it this way for so long and look where it got Apple, now he's gone already they are caving in..some cheap copy cat firm will swamp Apple again, we've all heard this story before.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
And that is why you are not a business person :)

Being nice rarely generates revenue, and allowing people to freely steal ideas hurts competition which hurts the end user.

And endless lawsuits not a great business model either. Having worked a software company where one of our competitors stole our software and flat out copied parts of it for a competing product, I am painfully familiar with what it takes to go after someone in court. We "won" our case, but the legal cost was tremendous, and worse, the effort and focus of management having to spend time on it detracts a lot of effort towards other things they should be focusing on.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
You're right, we should judge everything based on single events.

Not at all. I'm merely giving you the most recent event as an example. But lets take a look at the last 4 years, shall we? Nothing but growth, record sales, and rising stocks for Apple. And how many legal cases has Apple been in the last 4 years? Quite a bit. And none of it is slowing Apple down.

Born2run45

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Just another sign that this second post-Steve Apple does not have the passion and fire that Steve had to make it great. In the high tech business, being reasonable can lead to a slow death. With Apple's massive cash holdings and Steve's product plans going out four years, be interesting to see what Apple is in come 2020.

Look, Jobs is dead (and this is to everyone bitching that Cook isn't doing it how Jobs would). You're not going to get another Jobs. And it's been shown it is a very bad business tactic in cases where the founder dies and had a large influence on the company to try to run it under the idea of, "What would Jobs (or whoever it was) do?" Because since no one is Jobs, they will not get it right. It is better for the person to go with his strengths and personality and run it to his strengths, not to how he thinks some other person would (when he won't have the same strengths nor can he totally predict what the other guy would have done).

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Look, Jobs is dead (and this is to everyone bitching that Cook isn't doing it how Jobs would). You're not going to get another Jobs. And it's been shown it is a very bad business tactic in cases where the founder dies and had a large influence on the company to try to run it under the idea of, "What would Jobs (or whoever it was) do?" Because since no one is Jobs, they will not get it right. It is better for the person to go with his strengths and personality and run it to his strengths, not to how he thinks some other person would (when he won't have the same strengths nor can he totally predict what the other guy would have done).

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
- Harvey Dent.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
When I pick up an Android device I don't see it being any more of a rip off of the IOS device than I do of the IOS device being "similar" in function to my Compaq iPaq from years ago. If anyone ripped anything off I believe IOS ripped of RIM's Blackberrys Messenger service concept.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
It's all Samsung (and someday Sharp and LG)

Just out of curiosity, why are you giving Samsung credit for the retina display? I was under the impression that the design was all Apple and Samsung just did the manufacturing.

Apple knows diddly-squat about how to design and mass-produce LCD displays.

It's a market that's overwhelmingly concentrated in a very small number of very capital-intensive companies (just like only a few companies are making cutting edge integrated circuits). Some of these "companies" are joint efforts among companies that can't swing the capital needed on their own.

Apple shopped around, asking these few companies if they could make millions a month of 2048x1536 9.7" displays, at a reasonable price. (Since IOS and OSX don't have resolution independence - it had to be twice the linear count of the old Ipad2.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.