Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest numbers from market research firm IDC reveal that Mac sales experienced a slight year-over-year decline in the second quarter, dropping to 4.4 million from 4.8 million during the year-ago period.

mbp_13.jpg

Apple fell behind ASUS to finish as the fifth-largest PC vendor by shipments worldwide, with 7.1 percent market share through late June. Apple had 7.4 percent share in the second quarter of 2015 comparatively, according to IDC's data.

The decline can as typical be attributed partially to seasonal fluctuations and increased competition, but many prospective buyers are patiently impatiently waiting for Apple to release its next-generation MacBook Pro and other refreshed Macs.

IDC-Mac-Q216.png

Apple has not updated the MacBook Pro in over 400 days. The hope, supported by multiple rumors, is that it will release a redesigned MacBook Pro with faster Skylake processors and Thunderbolt 3 with USB-C in the second half of 2016. The top-of-the-line model could sport AMD's new 400-series Polaris graphics chip.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple will launch two thinner and lighter 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models in the September-December quarter. The notebooks are expected to feature a new OLED touch bar positioned above the keyboard, Touch ID, and hinges made from metal injection molding.

Overall PC sales totaled an estimated 62.4 million worldwide in the second quarter, a year-over-year decline of 4.5 percent, as the PC market continues to decline. Nevertheless, North American PC shipments increased for the first time in five quarters, reflecting the strength of the U.S. dollar and "relative market stability."

Gartner has also released similar worldwide PC shipment data for the second quarter.

Article Link: Apple's PC Sales Fall Behind ASUS as Buyers Await Next-Generation MacBook Pro and Other New Models

Last edited:

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Pent up demand for new MacBook Pros now. We're going to see a big surge for back to school, or whenever the Skylake models come out.

it would be nice if it was released for back to school. But it sounds like it'll be in the September-October realm after school starts. My daughter wants a Mac to take to college. I'm making her pay for part of it. Hard to part with that much cash for an outdated system....

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
it is crazy that i've had my laptop for a LONG time by today's standards, and I have the most recent version of the Macbook Pro. I was just thinking the other day...maybe i need to upgrade my laptop for looming software things I'm interested in the pipeline, but the product doesn't exist.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
it would be nice if it was released for back to school. But it sounds like it'll be in the September-October realm after school starts. My daughter wants a Mac to take to college. I'm making her pay for part of it. Hard to part with that much cash for an outdated system....

But not all universities start at the same time; Michaelmas term at my alma mater was always at the start of October.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Many potential buyers have absolutely no clue of the upcoming 2016 MacBook Pro. Apple is simply too expensive compared to strong competition in a declining market. Windows OEM`s are offering ever improving hardware. The only question is are you happy to work in the Windows environment if yes, then Apple have very little advantage outside of it`s physical presence in the high street.

Apple needs to realistically price it`s PC products or this decline in sales will continue irrespective of new models. Many I speak with in my own field (heavy engineering - energy industry) view Apple as over priced with diminishing quality, right now it`s hard not to agree...

Q-6

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
For a casual couch surfer, playing around with gopro videos, updating my resume and sending emails, paying bills and updating excels, doing taxes, and doing various hobby type stuff, it seems to me that anything 2013 or newer is perfectly sufficient. I am not in any hurry to upgrade.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Yep, everything except the MacBook is due for overdue for an update (and some WAY overdue). I have friends asking me for recommendations and I tell them there isn't a single Mac I'd buy right now unless I absolutely had to. While the MacBook is "new", I can't recommend it anyone with only a single port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.