Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Not so much a secret anymore. Apple needs to up their front business game. If they were drug dealers they would have been busted long ago.

But they leaked the project intentionally, do you think they'd have sent cars with multiple big sensors out on the street and expect no one to notice?

----------

I don't think Apple wants to get in the car building industry, its too volatile. I think they want to get into the car software/interface industry. It's a perfect market for them as most car touch interfaces are terrible.

And yet, they got into the fashion industry...

Zippitydont

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Real World Testing

The Apple "car" isn't actually a "car" at all. More likely there'll be a rash of UFO sightings in the neighborhood.

Real world testing will be over everyone's head. For reals. :eek:

paulrustad101

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
iCar

It would be so funny to see that in 2020 Apple releases it's electric car. But all it is a an RC car controlled via your iPhone and sends video via AirPlay to the tv.

----------

The Apple "car" isn't actually a "car" at all. More likely there'll be a rash of UFO sightings in the neighborhood.

Real world testing will be over everyone's head. For reals. :eek:

they are building the Mother Ship as we speak......

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Titan was the codename of Blizzard's unofficially very hyped new MMORPG that would replace WoW as the biggest gaming phenomen of the millenium, until it was cancelled without ever being fully disclosed.

I guess some times history does repeat itself.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Followed by their utility/delivery vehicle, the S-Cargo ... slow as a snail.
Nissan actually made an S-Cargo

S-cargo-05.jpg

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Apple buys Tesla

There's something fishy going on—this is "CarGate". It would only make sense if Apple buys Tesla which is already established as the leading high-tech future car company. Tesla stock is tanking so it's getting cheaper and cheaper every day. Apple will buy them out when they're worth $10 billion.

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Aftermarket installation

They're not building cars. My guess is Apple is researching aftermarket installation of Apple hardware.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I still say that Apple is NOT working on a full automobile. What they're really working on are new instrument panel interfaces and full autonomous driving functionality that fits into an existing model.

In my humble opinion, those two existing models are:

BMW 2 Series Active Tourer

320px-BMW_F45_fl.jpg

Mercedes-Benz B Class hatchback

320px-Mercedes-Benz_B_180_CDI_BlueEFFICIENCY_%28W_246%29_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht%2C_17._M%C3%A4rz_2012%2C_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

Why these two models? Because both BMW and Mercedes-Benz have research labs not far from Apple's corporate campus, and both companies would be a natural to work with Apple on next-generation automotive technology.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
There's something fishy going on—this is "CarGate". It would only make sense if Apple buys Tesla which is already established as the leading high-tech future car company. Tesla stock is tanking so it's getting cheaper and cheaper every day. Apple will buy them out when they're worth $10 billion.

Not that it makes any sense for Apple to buy Tesla, but even if it did, the value of the company's stock would not be the buyout price. If Tesla wanted to be acquired it would be at a huge premium over market cap. If they didn't want to be acquired, a hostile takeover would mean a lengthy and expensive proxy fight (an option I trust Apple would never consider).

If Apple were even thinking about Tesla, a joint venture makes far more sense than a merger for both companies.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
From the article: "Apple's "Project Titan", its secretive and much-rumored electric car project, may involve a campus leased by Apple last year that is located in Sunnyvale, California

Why in the hell would they want to do anything there? Everyone knows that place is full of vampires!

indieshack

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
Remember in 2008 and 2009 they kept posting all these articles about how Apple was discontinuing the Mac mini because an update hadn't been released yet?

They've lost a lot of credibility.

If you're trying to make a business out of a no-pay website, I get it that requires ads - there are a lot, but I can live with that. Also, AI posts news very quickly.

What I have trouble with are that Apple Insider articles appear to me to be slavishly Apple promoting, or attacking any industry types who might suggest anything they see as anti-Apple. For that reason, to me their articles completely lack credibility. As for the comments sections of articles, expect to be attacked for anything that questions their articles or casts aspersions on Apple.

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Not that it makes any sense for Apple to buy Tesla, but even if it did, the value of the company's stock would not be the buyout price. If Tesla wanted to be acquired it would be at a huge premium over market cap. If they didn't want to be acquired, a hostile takeover would mean a lengthy and expensive proxy fight (an option I trust Apple would never consider).

If Apple were even thinking about Tesla, a joint venture makes far more sense than a merger for both companies.

20-30% is not a "huge premium over market cap": http://moneymorning.com/2015/02/06/5-reasons-why-apple-buying-tesla-makes-sense-aapl-tsla/

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Is this the building that was featured in NBC's Nightline? Looks really really similar.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Aftermarket installation

They're not building cars. My guess is Apple is researching aftermarket installation of Apple hardware.
Why would you need anything other than regular R&D facilities (which they already have)? Apple has rented out the test track that many companies use for their secret projects as well. What in the world are they planning on doing with CarPlay if their hiring automative manufacturing prototypers?

Adsplm

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2018
Dearborn Michigan
Strange comment considering that Apple is leasing most of the available office space in Cupertino and Sunnyvale in general. Has nothing to do with being secret, there are just too many employees.
Apple should protect their data the car data before their secret offices
Supplieres gave me the car data to work on with out ant NDA signed at all I can do with thd data what ever i please apple take action

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.