Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeZTM

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2019
New Jersey, USA
Upgrade cycles are a lot slower than they used to be. And most here crying about e-waste and life and usefulness of Macs probably don't have 10 yr old Macs if you my get my drift.
That's the problem. Even M1 non-pro is faster than a best 16 inch Intel MacBook Pro.
Handicap it with 8GB RAM is basically hurting the user from extract its performance.

I will never complain if Apple put a A16/A17 with 8GB ram into a MacBook.
It's about balancing. Not marketing the best chip with an unbalanced memory and storage setup.

Last edited:

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
The answer that iPhone users have more privileges is because the iPhone is the sole revenue driver of the company. Basically if the iPhone is gone, Apple is gone.

Reactions: Populus

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
e-waste is as low as it ever has been. upgrade cycles are as long as they have been. REcyclability is as high as it has been. The devices themselves are as small as they have been.

Go visit the 1980s and you'll come back with a different opinion on today's "e-waste."
There's a lot of "facts" there. Got any links to back all that up? Or maybe explain them better because they're pretty vague statements.

Reactions: ric22

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple controls macOS. It stands to reason that they stick with 8gb of ram because they know that's what suffices for the majority of their user base, and they can optimise macOS to run smoothly on that much ram. For the minority of users who need / desire more, they can either pay for more ram, or opt for one of the Pro models.

There is too much focus on specs and not enough on the end user experience. Too many people look at increasing ram like it's some sort of religious tenet without also considering how Apple is able to use its control over hardware and software to set itself apart from the competition.

For example, do windows laptops come with 16gb of ram out of the generosity of the OEM's heart, for marketing purposes (eg: everyone else is doing it, so offering anything less would be suicidal) or because they have no control over the demands of the OS, and can therefore only boost ram as a means of brute-forcing their way through the problem?).
Timmy should decrease RAM to 4GB base because some Apple fanboy also said 8GB is enough
Personally 4GB still enough too.
My MacBook Air M2 after boot RAM is Full and use SWAP memory.
You know I will still pay to get whatever specs I want and then get on with my life. ;)

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
YOu can go as long as you are able. I welcome you naming all the pc games that require more than 8gb of RAM.

I know the list is pretty small and I know most of it consists of lazy console ports. I mean Hogwarts Legacy is on the 4gb Switch even. ;). Sure graphics downgrade etc but beside the point.

The problem is you still don't understand what you replied to. The argument wasn't no pcgames require more than 8gb ram. The point being made wasn't dependent on no pcgames requiring >8gbRAM either. So you're still don't understand that you're making a strawman argument.

The point was RAM need is plateauing. And the evidence absolutely bears this out. IT's not an opinion. IT's a fact. Even in pcgaming which is one of those areas that makes more use of RAM that most tasks and isn't a task the masses engage in as a rule of thumb is barely starting to crack the 8gb limit.

Look at the RAM share of STeam users from March 2024. 45% still have 8gb.

Umm the fact is those are not even new games but some games that are nearly 10 years old. Plus when you compare it to the switch something HIGHLY and I mean HIGHLY optimized to play games it is not remotely the same thing. Yes 10 years ago that game pushed PC hard but again 10 years ago.

Those ram specs are pretty low end for games. That list is not even modern games but old games. Modern games are even more of a resource hog.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Umm the fact is those are not even new games but some games that are nearly 10 years old. Plus when you compare it to the switch something HIGHLY and I mean HIGHLY optimized to play games it is not remotely the same thing. Yes 10 years ago that game pushed PC hard but again 10 years ago.

Those ram specs are pretty low end for games. That list is not even modern games but old games. Modern games are even more of a resource hog.

Have you considered that Gaming is not a use case that base-spec Macs are intended for?

Apple says they are capable of gaming, but never once mention being designed for gaming.

Reactions: trip1ex

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Apple controls macOS. It stands to reason that they stick with 8gb of ram because they know that's what suffices for the majority of their user base, and they can optimise macOS to run smoothly on that much ram. For the minority of users who need / desire more, they can either pay for more ram, or opt for one of the Pro models.
Most users can get by with non-Retina screens, and may not even know the difference. But Apple has made 100% of their products Retina (well, now less than 100% with the Vision Pro). Apple only has a premium option in some specifications. You can't buy a poor display from Apple.

There is too much focus on specs and not enough on the end user experience. Too many people look at increasing ram like it's some sort of religious tenet without also considering how Apple is able to use its control over hardware and software to set itself apart from the competition.
It's not a good user experience when an iOS/iPad app has been it the background too long and loses something you've been editing.
It's not a good experience when your device brings up a notification that there is an OS update available, then doesn't let you update it because there's not enough free space.
Part of the appeal of buying Apple is paying a bit more for the confidence that it will "just work". And if that stops being the case as often, people won't be as confident with buying Apple products.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008

Strawman. You lost sight of the point. We're talking base MBA and RAM needs for the masses. Not pcgaming.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
For example, do windows laptops come with 16gb of ram out of the generosity of the OEM's heart, for marketing purposes (eg: everyone else is doing it, so offering anything less would be suicidal) or because they have no control over the demands of the OS, and can therefore only boost ram as a means of brute-forcing their way through the problem?).
I've got clients with older PC's with 8GB RAM that used to be fine and now are slow pigs. Fortunately, most Windows computers can be upgraded. The point is, Mac's cannot. So while TODAY 8GB of RAM may suffice, you're absolutely screwed if in a few years, macOS is larger and other apps are consuming more and now at boot your 8GB is gone. The other point is, YES, 16GB does look nice in marketing. And an extra 8GB costs next-to-nothing to add, but Apple would loose almost $200 in profit in doing so. So there is some greed in that decision.

Reactions: AlumaMac and ric22

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Most users can get by with non-Retina screens, and may not even know the difference. But Apple has made 100% of their products Retina (well, now less than 100% with the Vision Pro). Apple only has a premium option in some specifications. You can't buy a poor display from Apple.
Fair enough points all around. I can only say that I will notice the difference between a retina vs a non-retina display more than I will probably notice the difference in performance between 8gb and 16gb ram on my M1 MBA for what I do, and maybe that's what Apple is going with here.

The MBA gets a higher-res screen, while the M1 chip prioritises power efficiency because these are the features that users will notice (and therefore appreciate) the most - a clearer screen, longer battery life and smoother performance all around (in addition to the keyboard and trackpad). On the flip side, assuming Apple is able to keep macOS optimised to run well on 8gb ram, and with swap working as intended in the background, a lack of ram may well be something only the most hardcore users realised, and these are likely the more pro users who are better served by a device with more ram in the first place (ie: the pro models).
Part of the appeal of buying Apple is paying a bit more for the confidence that it will "just work". And if that stops being the case as often, people won't be as confident with buying Apple products.
I can't speak for other people, but I can confidently say that this continues to be the case for me. I know what my apple devices can and cannot do, I buy the right spec for the job, and I get on with my life. :)

I've got clients with older PC's with 8GB RAM that used to be fine and now are slow pigs. Fortunately, most Windows computers can be upgraded. The point is, Mac's cannot. So while TODAY 8GB of RAM may suffice, you're absolutely screwed if in a few years, macOS is larger and other apps are consuming more and now at boot your 8GB is gone. The other point is, YES, 16GB does look nice in marketing. And an extra 8GB costs next-to-nothing to add, but Apple would loose almost $200 in profit in doing so. So there is some greed in that decision.
The truth may well be somewhere in the middle.

For example, if and when the day comes when macOS requires 16 of ram to run properly, Apple may at that time simply decide that the M1 chip has been supported long enough and just cut off support for it altogether. So even if you have an M1 Mac with 16gb ram (or were somehow able to add more ram to it), it may not run the latest OS either if Apple decides to base their OS upgrade timeline on some arbitrary metric independent of hardware specs.

After all, my 2017 5k iMac decided to just stop getting macOS Sonoma after six years, and I don't think Apple cares that I have 40gb of ram inside. The iPhone 7 did not get iOS 16 while the A10 iPad did. There doesn't seem to be any reason other than Apple deciding "it's time" and when that day comes, more ram may not help stave off the inevitable either.

You buy more ram now if you need it today, but I don't foresee my computing needs changing all that much (heck, it really hasn't for the last couple of years). So unless I change jobs to become a YouTuber or something, I think 8gb of ram on a laptop will continue to suffice for me down the road, given the things I do on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

kr4magel

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
8 is enough for me. I used to think I needed 16 to type messages on social media, but since I got this new MacBook Air, I've come to the conclusion that 8 is plenty. Especially with faster bus speeds and solid state storage. It takes no time at all to retrieve data from storage.
cope

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I have never seen MR themselves be the ones who generate the clickbait thread, is ad revenue down or something?

8GB is still the base model standard config for just about every corporate device to hand out to Microsoft Office and email workers. Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc all offer base configs of 8GB.

Perhaps this is because, and I know tech and gaming people don’t want to hear it, it’s definitely enough for the non-taxing work *most* people do on their computers?

I’ve only recently started bumping up people to 16GB at work because of how many people seem to keep 50 tabs in Chrome open all the time (despite never going back to those tabs, the human brain literally doesn’t work that way for the non-neurodivergent). Most of these people didn’t even know they could use more RAM, because normal people don’t even know what RAM is…

Reactions: G5isAlive

aronsajan

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Interesting thing is macOS is still able to keep its memory footprint over the course of this past 12 years well within 8 GB with reasonable slack for other apps. That I will give it to Apple engineers. Having that said, its no reason not to increase the base memory as memory cost over the years have come down

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
That's the problem. Even M1 non-pro is faster than a best 16 inch Intel MacBook Pro.
Handicap it with 8GB RAM is basically hurting the user from extract its performance.

I will never complain if Apple put a A16/A17 with 8GB ram into a MacBook.
It's about balancing. Not marketing the best chip with an unbalanced memory and storage setup.
That's not true in a vacuum. Depends on use case. The masses are fine with 8gb.

YOu're wrongly projecting your needs or some imaginary needs upon the masses. I have an M1 8gb Mini. I've been arguing from it this whole time. IT can do a lot. If I needed more performance than I would pay for it.

Eventually the base model will get a bump up in RAM but the fact it has been so slow to come about, slower than ever, just shows the RAM need for masses is plateauing.

All this talk reminds me of the old Steve Jobs car vs truck analogy. Where he compares average users to the car while the power users are more like the truck. The base MBA is the car. Most people don't need a truck. (Although Jobs never lived where I lived where most people seem to have a truck but that's another story.)

Last edited:

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
When you go for a drive, you don't fill your car up with just enough petrol to get you there and back. You always have some petrol left in the proverbial tank of your car.

Reactions: NT1440

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
All this talk reminds me of the old Steve Jobs car vs truck analogy. Where he compares average users to the car while the power users are more like the truck. The base MBA is the car. Most people don't need a truck. (Although Jobs never lived where I lived where most people seem to have a truck but that's another story.)
reference
Jobs: “When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks, because that’s what you needed on the farm. But as vehicles started to be used in the urban centers, cars got more popular. Innovations like automatic transmission and power steering and things that you didn’t care about in a truck as much started to become paramount in cars. … PCs are going to be like trucks. They’re still going to be around, they’re still going to have a lot of value, but they’re going to be used by one out of X people. … I think that we’re embarked on that. Is the next step the iPad? Who knows? Will it happen next year or five years from now or seven years from now? Who knows? But I think we’re headed in that direction.”
Apple CEO Steve Jobs often compared the transition from desktop/laptop PCs to tablets with the transition from trucks to cars. Just as trucks waned in popularity with the urbanization of America, Jobs theorized, so, too, would desktops and laptops with the advent of the tablet.
So you can see that analogy wasn't quite that, its was his marketing strategy of pitching tablets as a future to computing. Of course things didn't quite pan out that way, quite a wide fork in the road to have iPhones eclipse the tablets, and the Macs continue their evolution much further then tablets could ever be particularly laptops such as the MBP. ;)

source, source

Last edited:
Reactions: hans1972

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
What kind of title is this? No troll could out-troll it.
(Disclaimer: I didn’t read past the first page of comments.)

I noticed this, too. It’s a very tabloid-esque headline. Not to mention the actual article being written as one large appeal to emotion, with loaded language throughout, designed to incite rather than inform.

Truthfully, I expect much, much better from MacRumors.

Have some integrity.

Reactions: gpat and NT1440

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
Strawman. You lost sight of the point. We're talking base MBA and RAM needs for the masses. Not pcgaming.

You are right you are making straw man arguments.

You started off with you can not think of one game. Several got listed and quite a few of them are several years old proving your starting argument outdated.

Your entire argument is “I don’t need it there for fine for everyone”

Then caught and you shift the goal post. I would give if it was modern games but those are older games. At this point base spec should be 16gigs if not 32 gigs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.