Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Btw any other loyal iPhone user finding iOS a bit long in the tooth

Give us widgets dammit and better notifications

If you're willing to put up with the skeuomorphism that is iOS, it's rock solid, has every app imaginable , iCloud and the best camera.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'm glad that Samsung is pushing ahead of Apple. I'm all for competition. However, I think both companies will be fine. I just wish that all these non-sense lawsuits would stop for trivial patents that should just be standards.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
exactly! samsung produces how many phones? versus one iphone.....oh well...good competition brings more innovation!

Are you from a universe where there is only one iPhone on sale? Here they sell a variety of iPhones which a variable amount of storage.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
This is the reason why Apple sues Samsung so much. They know they can't handle that much competition with such fast development.
iOS looks like 2007... Oh wait...

Going for the troll angle Mr Pixelmolester ;) or are you just trying to blow some wind up the fanboys skirts :)

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3]

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
I think if the next phone come out with a screen like the S3, people would be over the moon. That would be the wow moment. Hell, even I'll stand in line.

And then Samsung can sue Apple for copying their design, right?

No, there's no basis for that. Most people think that the new iphone needs a bigger screen to keep up with the competition, and to give us a reason to upgrade.

Is that so difficult to understand?

Eventually they are going to have to do this. They may as well bite the bullet and do it ASAP before they lose more market share.

I have a IP4. I panned the 4S because it didn't offer much in the way of new hardware, and I can tell you 100% - if the new phone is only taller, and I still need to carry around a magnifying glass to browse the web (in times of need), I'm gone. I'll be seriously looking at an S3.

I'm very sure there are many apple faithful in this same predicament. You can only squeeze so much blood out of a stone, and the IP is getting very tired indeed in it's current format. Stretching it to 16:9 is simply a joke, and insults our intelligence because it offers no real benefit.

Only blind-faith fan-boys would disagree.

I can't wait for fan-boys to say "woooow - I get a whole new row of apps on my screen. That's totally worth the $1000 upgrade!"

alexN350z

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
It would appear that Tim Cook certainly doesn't understand.

I feel that the next iphone will be the acid test.

With Time Cook being CEO from operating background lacking technical and marketing insights, can Apple still turn this around?

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
They are "prepaid" hence the "with £10 topup" - the £10 is the first bit of credit added to the phone. Once that is used you "top up" your "pre paid credit" as you wish.

These are worldwide numbers, why exclude Europe? :confused:

It is a usage of the word world you are probably less familiar with. See "world series".

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
With Time Cook being CEO from operating background lacking technical and marketing insights, can Apple still turn this around?

Perhaps not - and its the thing I fear. I know they are still very profitable right now, but the backlash from the apple faithful seems to be growing.

Previously I couldn't say a bad thing about apple in the last couple of years. Of late I've been railing about what seems like stupid decisions. Especially with the upcoming phone screen size (if true).

The next couple of years will be the true test once all the stuff that apple was working on (while jobs was alive) in the pipe are exhausted

Jobs had that "something". Even looking at Cook, he looks and dresses like he'd be more comfortable at microsoft. Just sayin'.

I'm reaching for flame-proof suit.... NOW.

Edit: this article is a good read:
http://gizmodo.com/5913071/10-changes-that-must-have-steve-jobs-rolling-in-his-grave

Last edited:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Not a surprise, the iPhone looks antiquated compared to some of the newer droids like the HTC one X and the Samsung Galaxy SIII. If the iPhone 5 Rumors are true, its not going to be pretty as the iPhone will continue to slip

Wake up Apple!

Here begins Apple's decline, and this time they don't have anyone to save them when they hit bottom.

This is bound to happen, Apple goes with a " one phone fits all approach ", which is fine, but when another phone maker starts offering different phones at different price points, the consumers will start look there as well..

Granted, all the iPhone 4's, 4s's, and it looks like the 5's look pretty much the same. They are heavy, small, and look very 2009 or 2010.

Apple's strategy of introducing new product updates may be adequate for computers (maybe?) but it is definitely too slow for (smart)phones

Most smartphone today are shiny, pretty and more affordable than an iPhone and that's what 80% of the market is after these days so Apple needs to get their act together and make something that people HAVE to have because everyone makes pretty phones nowadays and most of the time they are cheaper...

Alas, SJ is gone and we only have a chief executor in place now - if the next iPhone 5 doesn't come with a mindblowing screen and haptic feedback (not to mention features that only SJ could think of), the monolith will fall - there is absolutely no doubt about it.

So memo to Apple: do NOT come with a ML-like upgrade for the next iPhone - it HAS to be a complete revolution, otherwise it's all over and back to the dreaded 90s again.

Just a few quotes among many.

There is no doubt that Samsung is doing awesome.

Apple's unit sales are up 25% year-over-year so I'm not sure how this equates to a death spiral and the doom of Apple. :confused:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The problem is iOS (not a true smartphone mobile OS since it has so many limitations), which is growing at a very very slowly pace compared to android, and the 3.5 screen.

Guess what? We are in 2012 and a 4 screen probably isnt enough (not to mention the stupid idea of making it taller and not wider... Brilliant. They make it taller just to allow one more line of icons... LMAO).

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Then how was there an iPod or an iPad to begin with? Seems like pretty significant innovation when the competition was an utter joke.

The walkman and other types of players were all jokes? What if Apple introduced a CD player instead - think it would have done as well? Not at all, because it'd still have the same issues that every other CD player on the market had. And the iPad isn't a standalone product, it's another vehicle for delivering iOS. Look at the bigger picture, perhaps just the mobile industry itself as an entity.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Or maybe it's because Apple only sells one type of phone compared to plenty of Samsung smartphones. And people hesitated to buy the iPhone; they're waiting for the iPhone 5, which should definitely increase Apple's share.

Actually, Apple is taking to long to release a new phone. They need to it faster, or at least one other phone.

4 of my friends got tired of waiting for the new iphone 5, that they bought the galaxy s3 (which is a good phone) all though i said it will come probably fall.

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Actually, Apple is taking to long to release a new phone. They need to it faster, or at least one other phone.

4 of my friends got tired of waiting for the new iphone 5, that they bought the galaxy s3 (which is a good phone) all though i said it will come probably fall.

I completely agree! My iPhone 4 has a half broken home button and is over two years old. I have no desire to purchase the 4s, so I am stuck waiting if I want another Apple phone.

Apple will need to update phones faster or the Android folks will continue to grow. If it wasn't for the Apple ecosystem of iTunes, iCloud, Apple TV, etc I would have switched phone brands.

The model of living with a form factor for two years will not stand.

canadan

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
Although Apple is doing well, what worries me with them lately is the predictability of their product cycles. We only have one phone to look forward to and we know it only comes out once a year. Apple needs to shake things up a bit. If current rumours/leaks are correct, I'm a bit worried about the next iPhone because leaks make it look like it's almost identical to the 4S design except longer with a smaller connector at the base? Who cares, be creative and move on, give me something different that stands out for god's sake.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
I really don't know why we have to keep harping on this. They beat their guidance once again. They grew in every area except the iPod. They're selling crazy amounts of iPads. And all this is aside from the fact that they're up from this time last year but had the same exact kind of slowdown. This was an expected slowdown that everyone knew would happen and until Apple breaks their "every fall" release cycle for the iPhone, it's going to keep happening.

The headlines all make it look like Apple missed earnings. Really what happened is that they missed Wall Street's unrealistic expectations.

2012q2analystexpectations.jpg

It wasn't Wall Street that set unrealistic expectations btw: it was the independent (i.e. Apple fans) analysts. And the fact Apple beat guidance is irrelevant: they always beat guidance because they set it!

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I will love and purchase apple probably until the day I can no longer use tech/phones but I admittedly just switched to a Galaxy S3 because ios was getting/looking boring to me. I'm also a fan of tech variety.

Loving all the new stuff I get to play with on android but pretty sure I'll go back to the apple teet sooner or later. The S3 is a great phone, tho.

Edit: and yea i hope to god that the new iphone isnt just a screen stretch for an extra row of icons. that's kinda why I had no interest in waiting to get a 6.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Keep on rooting for that Korean maker of refrigerators, microwaves and smartphone knockoffs, Fandroids. :rolleyes:
Such a useful post. We know Apple still is rooting and paying this Korean maker to provide integral parts to their iOS devices. This Korean maker is fast.

You forgot they make the best HDTV's too. Surpassing Apple's former idol, Sony, in that department years ago.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm starting to worry that Faildroid may win, Apple NEEDS free iPhones and they need prepaid iPhones, they need them everywhere if they want to win, and honestly, without the iPhone, Idk what's in Apple's future.

Absurd. What was in Apple's future right before their clamshell ibook with an Airport card in it showed up? Before the iPod showed up? Before the iPhone showed up? Before the MacBook Air showed up? Before the iPad showed up? WE DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE.

The future is in the future for you and for me. However, for some of the Apple designers, that same future started three years ago or six months ago. You and I don't know what they're working on, but it probably has nothing to do with an iPhone.

Is someone still tweaking the next idea for an iPhone? Almost certainly. More ideas are also forthcoming for next iterations of the iPad, and all the other stuff we know about, plus a lot of stuff we've never imagined that we might enjoy, or need. Meanwhile as globalization continues, more people begin to enter the consumer class and drive demand for all manner of products, including mobile computing gear. I daresay there's room for multiple brands of all that stuff. It doesn't hurt Apple to have some competition, either.

The iPhones are now in the stage that's called "iterations of released product." So are shuffles and nanos and anything else they haven't decided to kill off yet. Doesn't mean some insanely great iPhones can't still emerge. Definitely doesn't mean Apple will croak if it decides to whack the iPhone some time. I was upset when they whacked the Powerbook 170 but I got over it, and so did Apple!

Be honest: in 1999, did you spend a whole lot of time wondering how great Apple's 2010 iPad rollout would be? Yeah, me neither. I was sitting in front of a tangerine clamshell, all wound up about the possibilities presented by that Airport card.

Whatever you think of each iteration of a released product, it is different and can fill a different niche market with a great brand. Will each one of them boost Apple's profits like a rocket taking off for Mars? Nope. Does each one sell? Yep. And each one helps keep that brand right out there, baby: This is Apple. This just works. This is elegant. This is functional. Apple services what it sells. Apple throws in stuff you didn't expect (Genius playlisting that gets better the more you use it, for example).

I will never, never forget showing a five year old kid a couple of functions of the original MacPaint program on a 512k Mac, and then walking out to the kitchen for a few minutes to see to the prep for a meal later. When I came back, the kid had discovered functions I didn't even know the program offered. Right there I realized that Apple had turned personal computing on its head by making the software interface so intuitive. A five year old teaching an adult computing professional how a graphics program worked. The whole paradigm of personal computing was changing faster than anyone could grasp, but that kid got it, and defined it, all in one.

Today I still celebrate that moment from back in the mid-80s. I was looking at a change in how the future would be shaped. People whose imaginations had not yet been stomped on would be creating the new stuff. I felt like I had jumped on a rocketship that was just taking off, and that I would mostly be a passenger because I was already "a grownup." But I was sure willing to go along for the ride, and it has been amazing to take that ride with Apple products all this time.

And today I say that no sane person bets against Apple being able to come up with another great idea, or against their bringing another elegant and highly functional implementation to market. Apple designers don't have a track record of having hit just one ball out of the park. Somehow they have managed to stay hungry, and to crave creating products that properly marry form to function, and they've done it again and again. That hunger, and the discipline to pursue a best implementation, are what has made them so successful.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Samsung and Google are essentially the Walmart of the technology world.

They rush to get in on a market by over saturating it with cheap, less than stellar phones which they sell at a loss just to over-inflate their numbers much like Walmart forced their way into small markets by forcing existing businesses out by selling cheap merchandise.

The tech world will be much better once they're gone.

Perhaps in your dreams Android is better than iOS but in the real world it's the opposite. Android is ugly and has no sense of direction - it feels like a two year old just knocked over a bucket of paint and Google called it a day.
U mad, bro? Seems effin' personal to u? Do these companies care about u? Like having a cheap hooker by your side, no they dont. Money is all they are after.

How will the tech world be better once Samsung and Google are gone? Are you an elitist? Maybe we should take out all the fast food restaurants in your world. McDonald's, Burger King, Jack In The Box, etc. Start paying $20 for every "meal." There is no "value" to fast food.,You get what you pay for, right? Maybe Hondas should no longer exist and we should only have Mercedes to choose from. But a $60K bare minimum to buy them.

Get it? What is wrong with choices? What is wrong with looking for cheaper alternatives? You do it all the time daily whether having lunch in a restaurant, picking the right gas station, shopping at a supermarket, or buying a house or car. We all try to save money. In this global economic crisis we live in, alot of us have to be penny-pinching and save money. Nokia did the same thing to be #1. Sell cheap phones to developing nations. If the tech world was 99% iOS, it would be a boring world to live in just like the static grid rows iOS still has. Wow, we all have the same phones! How fun is that?

And it is not like iPhones are expensive either. iPhone 3Gs is FREE with contract now. The reality is Steve Jobs is gone. The magic is gone. Nothing to look forward to in the keynotes. It was like around 2005-2006 when iPod announcements was still exciting to look forward to. By the time iPhone was released, people stopped caring about the new iPod anymore. It ran its course. Same with iPhone. It is starting to reach a saturation point. For people who wanted yrs ago, already have it now. And the second hand market offers them for good deal too. iPhone is no longer hip like it used to. No longer exclusive. It got played out. And waiting once a year for a new one doesnt help either.

That is why Android is spearheading tech right now. OEM's are fighting against each other just for razor-thin profits. But once their back is against the wall, they have no choice but to innovate.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
The truth is: Samsung IS GETTING a lot of coverage and positive reviews with its flagship SIII.

Every single Samsung smartphone is, of course, result of blatantly copying Apple. However, people don't care about any of this and just want the "best" phone - and right now, hardware-wise, the SIII does retain the edge, notwithstanding Apple's great ecosystem advantage.

Lawsuits will NOT block Samsung from flooding the market one way or another, even if litigation defeats happen in certain jurisdictions. Judges do not have the guts to block such a device in absolute terms; so the best answer from Apple is actually the only feasible one: INNOVATION.

Alas, SJ is gone and we only have a chief executor in place now - if the next iPhone 5 doesn't come with a mindblowing screen and haptic feedback (not to mention features that only SJ could think of), the monolith will fall - there is absolutely no doubt about it.

So memo to Apple: do NOT come with a ML-like upgrade for the next iPhone - it HAS to be a complete revolution, otherwise it's all over and back to the dreaded 90s again.

I think you pretty much nailed it, unfortunately.

Of course, and if reality doesn't agree, we will put it apart

Cheez, pull your head out of the sand and stop being in denial mode. :rolleyes: Read what he wrote. Of course Samsung phones of today are result of copying Apple in the past. Weren't there some nice stories floating around the web, that even Google thought so?

From AllthingsD:
Among those documents are a few purported to show that Samsung not only deliberately copied certain characteristics of the iPhone and iPad, but was also explicitily warned away from doing so by various third parties, including Google. Below, a sampling of some of Apple’s more compelling points excerpted from its brief.
In February 2010, Google told Samsung that Samsung’s “P1” and “P3” tablets (Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Tab 10.1) were “too similar” to the iPad and demanded “distinguishable design vis-à-vis the iPad for the P3.”
In 2011, Samsung’s own Product Design Group noted that it is “regrettable” that the Galaxy S “looks similar” to older iPhone models.
As part of a formal, Samsung-sponsored evaluation, famous designers warned Samsung that the Galaxy S “looked like it copied the iPhone too much,” and that “innovation is needed.” The designers explained that the appearance of the Galaxy S “[c]losely resembles the iPhone shape so as to have no distinguishable elements,” and “[a]ll you have to do is cover up the Samsung logo and it’s difficult to find anything different from the iPhone.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.