Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

11thIndian

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
What evidence make the writer think Apple TV is also now a priority for Apple?

-Sure, I would love it to be a "priority" but I haven't seen anything to suggest it is taking priority over iOS, other then it no longer being a hobby project.

This is all from Mark Gurman of 9to5mac, who's track record for leaks has been pretty great over the last few years. This is inside sources from Apple, and not conclusions based on anything Apple has been doing publicly.

Rene Richie of iMore and John Gruber have both been similarly adamant that there's a large team of people working on both the software and hardware side of appleTV at the moment.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Oh, I can only imagine that support for Core2Duo MacBook Airs will be dropped this year, but a fellow can dream, right?

Last edited:

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
You think the AppleTV is too big? How do you propose to do that, considering the power supply is built-in? If you want to compare the size to an iPhone, don't forget to include a power adapter.

The size of the AppleTV is fine as it is, IMHO.

I don't think it's "too big" for most uses, it's just a little large for me to want to travel with every day. Pushing limits is what made Apple successful.. Besides, Google Chrome and Roku both have similar devices that are the size of a large USB thumb drive so I don't see why Apple can't do something better.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
This delay will be good news for those that are worried about their iDevices being left out of the upgrade. Personally, I suspect that the iPad 2/3 and iPhone 4S are going to be iOS 7 limited. I still remember when the original iPad was left out of the iOS 6 update.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
The only way I get excited for 10.10 is if the new design is a unified design. I'm not talking about 50% new, or patching things here and there. I'm talking about a unified design which spans across the OS and Apple's apps.

just changing the OS will change aspects of an application as well. each individual application isn't custom coded to get it's look.. it's drawing UI elements from the operating system.

however, a program like photoshop won't really change in look since its UI is custom.. but any 'mac' app will change in appearance to match the OS.

icons may have to be updated to get a more unified look but things like buttons,sliders,windows,sheets, etc.. those will change automatically.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Hmm this is interesting. I have never thought about taking my Apple TV when I travel. If I'm on vacation do I really want to sit and watch TV? Not really, unless it is raining outside. It might be nice to stream some music from the hotel/condo TV but then I do travel with a speaker I can dock my iPhone to play music.

I guess if you have kids and have purchased a lot of movies/content from iTunes then it would make sense to bring the Apple TV to the hotel/condo to play the movies for the kids.

I don't mean for vacations... I travel >75% for work so I am often gone Monday-Thursday for work. It'd be nice to use my AppleTV at my hotel when I travel.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Agreed, this is Microsoft-like sloppy of Apple and things like beach balls really needs to be resolved. OS X already seems a bit fragile-istic with the need for disk permissions maintenance and such.

Totally agree, I still have lots of hang ups and beachballs with everyday use of Mavericks - finish the current OS before making a new one!

11thIndian

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
This sounds like 10.10 could look really great or really terrible. We'll have to see.

Why can't Apple get more developers? I'd imagine they attract the top talent.

It's not always a question of more. Once a team reaches a certain size, in some cases there can be little benefit to simply adding more people. Communication becomes more complicated.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
8.0 will probably be mostly performance improvements, which should make everyone happy.

Not true at all. There's still about 10% of us on iOS 6. I understand some of that percent are little kids or moms who don't know what that red number 1 means on their Settings app means but there are a lot of us who like productivity over "fashion" and don't want to touch iOS 7.

Even you stated that you think iOS 8 will just be performance improvements over iOS 7.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I wonder if they'll bring the tab reloading from iOS 7 to OSX? :D

Disclaimer: This is intended as a humorous post. But I do wish they would get rid of the tab reloading in iOS.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Great thats good news, iOS dont need a ton of new stuff for the next iteration. OSX though, has had very minor updates lately. THough, I hope it will be a proper release, so I dont have to wait 8-10 months before installing, like with Mavericks, creating a ton of problems and bugs on so many programs.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not true at all. There's still about 10% of us on iOS 6. I understand some of that percent are little kids or moms who don't know what that red number 1 means on their Settings app means but there are a lot of us who like productivity over "fashion" and don't want to touch iOS 7.

Even you stated that you think iOS 8 will just be performance improvements over iOS 7.

Aren't some of those 10% people using devices that are unable to run iOS 7?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I’m not expecting a redesign comparable to iOS 7, neither in looks nor in extent. Apple could pull it off for iOS, but only because that has some decent developer support. On OS X, I still have to rely on software that doesn’t even make use of Lion’s features! The adoption of a new design will not go quickly and I suspect that a redesign similar to iOS 7 will look awful with the current OS X. I expect some design inspiration where it makes sense, but nothing as radical.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

What I was saying is that the statements I bolded contradicted each other. You complained about them delaying new features, and then you said you'd rather wait 6 months to put out a sturdy build.

And also, the wait time between 7.0 and 7.1 was 6 months, and the wait time between 7.1 and 8.0 will likely be 6 months, so you got your wish.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Great thats good news, iOS dont need a ton of new stuff for the next iteration. OSX though, has had very minor updates lately. THough, I hope it will be a proper release, so I dont have to wait 8-10 months before installing, like with Mavericks, creating a ton of problems and bugs on so many programs.

I guess I am a bit mixed about the news. There are still a ton of features and functionality missing in iOS which I would like to see added, and it seems like we may be seeing largely under-the-hood improvements and piecemeal features added.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
This is all from Mark Gurman of 9to5mac, who's track record for leaks has been pretty great over the last few years. This is inside sources from Apple, and not conclusions based on anything Apple has been doing publicly.

Rene Richie of iMore and John Gruber have both been similarly adamant that there's a large team of people working on both the software and hardware side of appleTV at the moment.

I mean the writer of the report here on macrumours, Kelly Hodgkins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.