Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iieee

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
Istanbul
If you look closely you can see that the majority of the building is actually underground and you can see a hallway leading to the right. I'm guessing that the entrance is floor down and you can't actually get near the glass part.

You're right sir.:apple:

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
An all glass building in an active seismic zone...

"Clear glazed single panel walls with no connections to distract the eye, 10m long by 3m high on four sides, provide an efficient structural form capable of resisting seismic loads, while providing total transparency and architectural purity. The lightweight ultra-thin roof made of CFRP panels (carbon fibre reinforced plastic) seamlessly joined on site, provides a completely smooth uniform soffit while also improving the seismic performance of the whole structure." - istructe.org

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
i like the big icon on top and that the glass has no breaks in it. This seems like an improvement over the cube in New York. I wonder if they will retrofit NY to this design.

I could be wrong, but isn't this store in an indoor mall? The NY store has to contend with weather, particularly snow, which is very heavy and limits how far they can push the envelope.

Nosferax

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2014
"Clear glazed single panel walls with no connections to distract the eye, 10m long by 3m high on four sides, provide an efficient structural form capable of resisting seismic loads, while providing total transparency and architectural purity. The lightweight ultra-thin roof made of CFRP panels (carbon fibre reinforced plastic) seamlessly joined on site, provides a completely smooth uniform soffit while also improving the seismic performance of the whole structure." - istructe.org

Seismic load isn't equal to seismic activity...

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
I think it's an excellent utilization of space: relatively unobtrusive and unimposing at ground level, while utilizing underground space for enhanced security, insulation, etc., all while creating a compelling visual presentation and "come-on" to all passersby.

It's great that they're using glass in such uniquely major ways for its transparency, strength, and recyclability.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I do like the look of it but come on an award for a glass box...

Like what someone else said, I like it when they do up old buildings.

it's a structural engineering award.. not so much an aesthetics/architecture award.

[edit] nvmnd.. what 617arg said a few posts after yours.
;)

Nosferax

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2014
I think you should contact the architects / engineering firm right away to notify them of their terrible oversight.

Or, you may get educated on the subject yourself... That way you would know that seismic load as nothing to do with seismic activity.

And considering we are talking about Apple, it's all a matter of form and design over function these days.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I do wonder if/how that roof is insulated however. I'd love to see construction details.

maybe they're viewing/calculating the whole volume above the ground as an insulated layer? like, it's its own little atmosphere in the volume which offers a protective layer against the functional space below?

[edit] oh wait.. upon further reading, it appears this may be located inside a mall's open area.. it's probable there's another roof over this one which is doing the insulating.

Last edited:

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Shame so much focus is on the architecture on the retail outlets instead of the architecture of their software. Would iOS 8 receive a similar award for design excellence? I don't think so .....

iOS8 definitely wouldn't receive a "Best of" award. Perhaps it could make some "Worst" lists tho.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
This isn't an award for a renovation.

You can't build this. Neither can the team that built your house. It's special. That's why it won, deservedly.

Wow, that was intense considering I spoke not of the award. I also get bored with Jay-Z , he's special, and he wins awards (deservedly or not).

If you didn't see what I did there, he does the same things over and over a little bit different with larger and larger budgets and wins awards.

AppleTools

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Seismic load isn't equal to seismic activity...

The store is within a commercial center. The bigger structure is the one that is designed to support seismic activity. Your office is not anti-seismical, your building is.

----------

Cold, sterile, uninviting.

Echoing others' comments, I do love it when they put the stores in old buildings like Covent Gardens and Paris Opéra.

I do love the rennovation of old structures and the eclectic look combining the past and the future but that does not demerit the design of ultra modern architecture.

They are two completely different things. It's like comparing Classical Music to Electronic. You might like one or the other or both or none but the artistic fundaments of each one cannot be denied.

I like both. In this particular case, I think is clean, light, open and inviting.

AppleTools

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
I do like the look of it but come on an award for a glass box...

Like what someone else said, I like it when they do up old buildings.

This is an award for structural design. The engineering required to build something like this is quite impressive. New technologies allow architects and constructors to push the boundaries in their designs every year and if you read the article, the way this structure is assembled is outstanding. That's what the award is for not because it just looks pretty...

----------

Beautiful Yes.
But, How the heck do you get in?

there is a ramp that goes around the cube and you enter below the glass panels. It took me a while to see it... ;-)

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Wow, that was intense considering I spoke not of the award. I also get bored with Jay-Z , he's special, and he wins awards (deservedly or not).

If you didn't see what I did there, he does the same things over and over a little bit different with larger and larger budgets and wins awards.

Sorry for being intense. It was early. I was probably moody. I take it back.

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
The quoted piece says the ceiling is not glass, but CFRP – Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic.

That's quite an amazing structure. I love seeing engineering that pushes the boundaries of what we know and accept.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.