Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phil.black

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hello scripting gurus!!! (Help, please...)

I've looked through various forums, but can't find a COMPLETE solution to what I believe should be a fairly straightforward problem. I'll start by asking the question as concisely as I can, then bring in more information about what I have tried, and learned, so far. I'll also outline my broad (mini) project aims at the end, just in case anyone is interested.

*** Q: How can I add attendees, from my Address Book, to an iCal event, so that ***ALL*** the attendee details are included?

Note: It is VITAL to me that attendees' phone number(s) are available through iCal, not just {display name, email, participation status}. This is because I want MobileMe to synch the event with my iPhone, so I can call attendees directly from iCal. (or at least have iCal open the attendee's Contacts record so I can call from there!)

WHY DO I THINK IT SHOULD BE POSSIBLE?

Manually, I can simply dbl-click on the event, click into the attendees field, start typing the attendee name, and hit enter. When I do this, it works. MobileMe synchs it to the iPhone, I open iCal, select the event, tap the attendee, and I'm calling.

WHAT I'VE TRIED USING APPLESCRIPT

When I try the following script, I've only managed to set Sheila's name/email/participation status. I can retrieve her phone number from Address Book using the above approach, but unsure how to make it stick in iCal *** such that I am able to use it to call directly from iCal on the iPhone ***

++++++++++++++++++++++++

tell application "Address Book"
set anAttendee to name of (first person whose name contains "Sheila")
end tell

tell application "iCal"
set newEvent to make new event at end with properties ¬
{summary:"Meeting Info.", location:"ZIP", description:"More yak", start date:SD, end date:SD + 120 * minutes}
make new attendee at end of attendees of newEvent with properties {display name:anAttendee}
end tell

++++++++++++++++++++++++

WHERE I'VE LOOKED FOR SIMILAR EXAMPLES

Thanks to Rob (et al) for providing script examples used to create the above, see here: http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=5692

I've also looked at the following article, which makes me think I somehow need to use the PERSON ID in the event attendee list. Unfortunately, I have only managed to retrieve the ID, but had no joy trying to set it.

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech … index.html

THE PROJECT

I'm a surveyor, and using dialog(s) to enter relevant info., I'm looking to streamline my preparation for surveys when I make each new appointment.

My mini-project presently enables me to print survey forms (based on a Pages template) with details relating to the specific property (address/contact name&no./appointment date&time etc.) It also uses the appointment date&time to create the appropriate event in iCal.

I'm also confident I can add the contact details, such as agent/owner name(s) and phone number(s) in Address Book.

IF I COULD ONLY ADD THESE AS ATTENDEE(S), AS IF ADDED MANUALLY, I WOULD ALSO BE ABLE TO PHONE THE PROPERTY OWNERS WITH A COURTEOUS REMINDER WHEN I'M ON THE WAY!!

Can anyone help me achieve this?
Here's hoping.
Phil (wiimixer)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.