Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
So I'm trying to update to 2.1 and all I get is a message that says "AppleTV can't check right now. Try again later." :eek:

Anybody else getting this? The internet connection seems fine because I can still download trailers & see rentals. Is this possibly because the Apple servers are getting hit hard for updates right now?

RNSheets

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
Columbia, Missouri
So I'm trying to update to 2.1 and all I get is a message that says "AppleTV can't check right now. Try again later." :eek:

Anybody else getting this? The internet connection seems fine because I can still download trailers & see rentals. Is this possibly because the Apple servers are getting hit hard for updates right now?

it could be.

I updated my TV earlier this evening and had no probs.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Similarly, I can't buy a TV show through my Apple TV after installing the new 2.1 software. It says to try again later because it can't access the iTunes store.

Anyone else getting this? :confused:

update: my issue is that you have to click AGREE to the new terms and conditions on the computer iTunes, then you can purchase again on Apple TV. Quirky bug!

scottrussell

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
can't check right now

I've tried four days in a row to download the 2.1 update on my AppleTV, but I keep getting the "can't check right now" message. Did you ever figure this out?

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
UPDATE:

Yes, it was because my AppleTV was patched. It seems that if you patch, it disables updating so your hacks don't get broken. I did a factory restore and everything is working fine now.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
UPDATE:

Yes, it was because my AppleTV was patched. It seems that if you patch, it disables updating so your hacks don't get broken. I did a factory restore and everything is working fine now.

That is the point. Usually the update server address is changed. You can either undo the changes in the "hosts" file or just do a factory restore.

scottrussell

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
ATV patch preventing software update

Aha! I wondered if that was it! I do love the additional functionality that the patch brings, though. Does the patching still work if reapplied after the 2.1 update? Thanks very much.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
ssh still works, other plugins need to be updated/ adjusted.
PM me for more info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.