Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can an AppleTV help if connected to a non smartTV? Can it upgrade the experience by adding features to an old TV?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I’m trying to understand your question, connecting an Apple TV to a smart TV or a non smart tv will have the exact same experience. The Apple TV wouldn’t interact with any of the smart tv apps.

Smart TVs normally come with some pre-installed limited apps such as Netflix etc.

The Apple TV gives you access to a wider variety of apps, I have a smart TV but do not use any of its apps. I just use the Apple TV.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The non smart tv, doesn’t have the ability to connect to the internet, or play films with the use of an app. Can I use the AppleTV for those two needs?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
The non smart tv, doesn’t have the ability to connect to the internet, or play films with the use of an app. Can I use the AppleTV for those two needs?
Yes, so the Apple TV can connect to the internet via wifi or a cable ?

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Even being forced into buying a 'smart' TV these days, connecting it to the internet is the last thing IMO from a security standpoint you want to do, which essentially strips out the smartness and turns it into a dumb panel. Otherwise, how else do you rid yourself of all these unwanted voice apps microphone to your life (Alexa & Google) just waiting to be hacked and have some TV maker sniff your programming habits / questioning your lifestyle when the TV is on/off / serving up ads on the screensaver etc, no thanks.
I prefer my panel to be dumb until :apple: bring out their long rumoured TV which will no doubt carry a price tag of at least $10k!?
At the moment with Apple TV you get the benefit of a smart TV without having to worry about any security implications and also mostly all of the apps that already exist on the iOS platform, plus it makes it easier to share/view content from your :apple: device such airplay etc.
If you're thinking of getting one, and a new one doesn't launch with this rumoured product next week, opt for the 4K version, not because you have/haven't a 4K TV, just because the chip in it is faster, more capable and still works with a non 4K TV.

Reactions: mallbritton
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.