Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hey guys, i have an elderly mother who i want to show the apps i've been working on, however she doesn't use a phone or a computer. she does watch TV so i thought i could buy an AppleTV and create apps for it. from what i can tell, it isn't possible to directly develop apps for the AppleTV because Apple hasn't released an SDK.

does anyone know a way for me to show my mother the work i've been doing? is it possible to say, develop an app for an iPod Touch (i just started using this to test apps) and then connect the AppleTV to the iPod Touch wirelessly? this is the only thing i could think of that would allow me to show my mother the work i've been doing. if i was a painter i could easily show her my canvas so i was hoping i could show my programming 'canvas' in another way. i've never used an AppleTV so i don't know much about it.

i'd appreciate any feedback.

thank you

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
you can use the mirror facility which will display your ipad/ipod touch/iphone screen on the appletv.

you will need a ipad/ipod touch/iphone that supports mirroring and a suitable appletv.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
you can use the mirror facility which will display your ipad/ipod touch/iphone screen on the appletv.

you will need a ipad/ipod touch/iphone that supports mirroring and a suitable appletv.

ok, thanks. what's mirroring? how can i try it out?
Why not use an iPad connected to your Moms TV? HDMI connection is all you need and you are good to go. She will be able to view your work on her TV as long as it's fairly up to date.

i don't have an iPad.. only an iPod Touch.

----------

what else can be done with the AppleTV? AirParrot seems really great. is there an alternative that's free?

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Mirroring requires either an iPhone 4S or iPad2, so that is not an option if you only have an iPod Touch.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
AirParrot seems really great. is there an alternative that's free?

Display mirroring capability will be included in OSX 10.8, if your Mac hardware supports it.

If you want to display the iOS apps you've been developing, you're going to need to update your hardware.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Display mirroring capability will be included in OSX 10.8, if your Mac hardware supports it.

If you want to display the iOS apps you've been developing, you're going to need to update your hardware.

oh ok. i have a mid2011 mac mini with 4gb of RAM. will this support display mirroring? the tv doesn't have HDMI AFAIK.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
oh ok. i have a mid2011 mac mini with 4gb of RAM. will this support display mirroring? the tv doesn't have HDMI AFAIK.

if the TV doesn't have HDMI then you won't be able to connect an AppleTV to it!
AppleTV only has an HDMI connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.