Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Worst Technology Of 2007

Worst Technology of 2007, hands down:
Windows Vista, released on January 30, 2007 to the general public.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
The RRP of the :apple:TV is too much $ IMO, so I bought a 40Gb unit from the Apple refurb store and it turned out to be what appeared to be a brand new unit anyway, in a shrink-wrapped retail box, with everything wrapped inside the box as new. :)

That's what refurbished Apple products are like -- more or less as good as new. They just give a discount in exchange for your assuming the perceived risk associated with purchasing merchandise another customer had rejected.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Most misunderstood tech of 2007

High concept - $229, for a refurbished unit, is as big a gift as anyone will ever get to go into the media biz!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Two things you guys need to remember:

1. That is from an Australian perspective. We have pretty much zero iTunes video content. No movies, no TV shows, just music videos and Pixar short films. This really limits the :apple:tv's functionality big time, video podcasts etc are OK but really they need to get proper video content in all the iTunes Stores quick smart because the rest of the world is really falling behind.

2. Downloadable HD content is going to be massively expensive in Australia because of the way that the telcos have the infrastructure in a stranglehold. A 5GB HD movie would often be double what your average Joe Bloggs (remember, none of us are Joe Bloggs, Joe Bloggs thinks the blue e is the internet and does nothing but email and word processing) has as a monthly download limit.

The :apple:tv may be a great product in the markets where Apple have invested in video content but here it's nigh on useless.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
That's what refurbished Apple products are like -- more or less as good as new. They just give a discount in exchange for your assuming the perceived risk associated with purchasing merchandise another customer had rejected.

I've had a couple of refurb's, a 1st Gen iPod Nano and an Airport Express, both arrived in brown cardboard packaging, with almost zip-lock plastic wrap. I was expecting the same for our :apple:TV, but this was brand new packaging.

1. That is from an Australian perspective. We have pretty much zero iTunes video content.

2. Downloadable HD content is going to be massively expensive in Australia because of the way that the telcos have the infrastructure in a stranglehold.

This is a very similar case in Canada, although we've just recently received TV-Shows (big-deal), the monthly allowances are generally quite low... higher allowances are available for a higher monthly fee. There'll be a lot of hidden costs with on-demand HD downloads. Even 500Mb 'HD' video-podcasts soon eat away at your monthly allowance and hard-drive space.

The :apple:tv may be a great product in the markets where Apple have invested in video content but here it's nigh on useless.

I've never bought anything from iTunes (except for Sonic for my iPod). We use it for Photos, Home Movies (my wife didn't realise we had so much stuck on the desktop), Movie's we've ripped and a surprising amount of YouTube. It could have more, but for now, it's far from the 'worst' tech of 2007.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
I dont think i would call it the worst technology, I think something along the lines of 'biggest flop' would be better. worst technology implies the technology behind it is bad, like if you plug it into your TV it will cause your TV to explode! biggest flop sounds better. it was a really hyped product, the idea of it sounds really good, but there is little to no HD content for it, it doesnt hook to everyones TV (yes about 70% of Americans do NOT have HD TVs!) so just a poor execution of a good idea. but I think the technology is great. people need to think about the format wars, HD-DVD vs Blue-Ray. I think both of those will go the way of the CD, they will disappear and be replaced by digital media. and the :apple:TV is the way to deliver that media. unfortunately not everything is in place for this. . . yet. . . hopefully apple will keep up with the :apple:TV until the content is there for the :apple:TV to compete as a reliable 'format; of HD content.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I knew exactly what I was buying into when they announced it so I'm not disappointed at all with the ATV

True, I wish they updated the software a little more but that could come on the 15th.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Your funny. Probably "try it" would be a better choice of words. People that don't like it have not tried it is what they were trying to say.

Funny thing is I thought of getting an AppleTV, but when I realized my XBox 360 does everything an AppleTV does and more, I quickly lost any interest in the AppleTV. The *only* thing that could get me to purchase an AppleTV is if Steve Jobs announces the "new" AppleTV with PVR capabilities. However, I HIGHLY doubt that's gonna happen.

w00master

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
I love my Apple TV. I don't need to surf the web or record TV cause the whole reason I bought :apple:TV was so I could buy my TV shows from iTunes. But the best thing about the :apple: TV is that it is so easy. Much easier then the media player on the PS3. It is really plug in and your done :D

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Last night Gates jabbed Jobs for calling the Apple TV a "Hobby" when he was talking about the future of the 360 as a media device...hopefully Apple has something up their sleeve...I love my Apple TV, but the lack of HD is getting rather annoying considering the device has been announced for over a year now...not to mention all the other things the Apple TV could do if Apple would just give it some attention.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I dont think i would call it the worst technology, I think something along the lines of 'biggest flop' would be better.

Would "flop" even be appropriate? Is anyone else selling more of a similar box?

I also dispute that it was a really hyped product...apple downplayed it from the beginning and hardly promoted it at all. Gates can say what he wants (did he announce anything beyond more content?), but so far MS has sold far less video content than Apple. Not to mention that the whole situation will change when apple announces the rumored movie rentals and more studios, likely along with updates for aTV and itunes.

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Gates can say what he wants (did he announce anything beyond more content?)

Yes, not only did they recap existing PVR integration with Media Center and a built-in DVD drive, but also expansion to incorporate live TV (full set-top box capabilities), as well as a number of TV manufacturers that were going to integrate 'extender' capabilities right into the TVs themselves - sort of like an Apple TV being built right into next-gen Samsung/Toshiba TVs.

Basically - a variety of cool stuff that people have been asking for with Apple TV...IMO Apple is close to missing a critical window here to elevate things out of hobby status, but we'll see what happens in a week.

I still have hope ;)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Yes, not only did they recap existing PVR integration with Media Center and a built-in DVD drive, but also expansion to incorporate live TV (full set-top box capabilities), as well as a number of TV manufacturers that were going to integrate 'extender' capabilities right into the TVs themselves - sort of like an Apple TV being built right into next-gen Samsung/Toshiba TVs.

XBOX doesn't do PVR and pausing live TV, or does it? (Will it?) And if not, then aren't the xbox streaming movies and the PVR (on a computer) two separate products? As poorly as the aTV has done, both from a critical and sales standpoint, it looks like Media Center has done even worse so far.

Is anyone selling a freestanding (for sale, not something with a monthly fee like a TIVO) box that does PVR and streamed movies?

The extender built into a TV is a cool idea...the big question with that is if it is locked to a proprietary format like MCE, or if it would be able to talk to iTunes as well?

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
XBOX doesn't do PVR and pausing live TV, or does it? (Will it?) And if not, then aren't the xbox streaming movies and the PVR (on a computer) two separate products? As poorly as the aTV has done, both from a critical and sales standpoint, it looks like Media Center has done even worse so far.

Is anyone selling a freestanding (for sale, not something with a monthly fee like a TIVO) box that does PVR and streamed movies?

The extender built into a TV is a cool idea...the big question with that is if it is locked to a proprietary format like MCE, or if it would be able to talk to iTunes as well?

The XBox 360 itself is not a PVR. It is essentially (besides being a game machine) a stream machine much like AppleTV. It does not recognize the iTunes library, but you can direct any folder on your network in order to stream media: photos, music, and videos. Since 99% of my music is not bought through the iTunes store, this is more than enough for me. In terms of Video streaming, imho it does a far better job than AppleTV does since it recognizes nearly every format including H.264. The only thing that it doesn't recognize are iTunes bought videos/tv-shows for me (since I don't buy iTunes videos) and Real Media (blah), isn't a big deal at all.

However, if you use a Mac to stream to your xbox360, there's a product called "Connect 360" and (I believe) it allows you to stream your iTunes library, iPhoto Library, and your Movies folder. I believe this includes iTunes playlists, etc. Of course, it still cannot play the iTunes bought media, but it's still a very good product (from what I've heard).

PVR functionality comes from Windows Media Center. The integration is very well done. It allows you to use your Xbox 360 as an extender. You could view, record, fast forward, rewind, etc. all through the extender capabilities of the xbox 360. Personally, I'm with you on the extender part. Media Center's penetration is very low, but people who have it love it. I'm personally a fan of Tivo, so I've never really cared either way.

w00master

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
If the xbox lets you watch tv wirelessly from your computer and do things like pause live TV, that is pretty cool. But it still requires having the box plus a computer, just like aTV does. Probably wouldn't satisfy those who have been asking for something that does dvr in the box.

Retired
May 16, 2006
If the xbox lets you watch tv wirelessly from your computer and do things like pause live TV, that is pretty cool. But it still requires having the box plus a computer, just like aTV does. Probably wouldn't satisfy those who have been asking for something that does dvr in the box.

The Xbox isn't compatible enough and the UI is awful for controlling music.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
The Xbox isn't compatible enough and the UI is awful for controlling music.

I personally don't find the interface that different than AppleTV's. What do you mean by "isn't compatible enough?" My library is unprotected mp3 and aac. What sort of "incompatibility" are you talking about? Or are you saying these things just b/c it's a MS product?

w00master

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA

1. That is from an Australian perspective. We have pretty much zero iTunes video content. No movies, no TV shows, just music videos and Pixar short films. This really limits the :apple:tv's functionality big time, video podcasts etc are OK but really they need to get proper video content in all the iTunes Stores quick smart because the rest of the world is really falling behind.

2. Downloadable HD content is going to be massively expensive in Australia because of the way that the telcos have the infrastructure in a stranglehold. A 5GB HD movie would often be double what your average Joe Bloggs (remember, none of us are Joe Bloggs, Joe Bloggs thinks the blue e is the internet and does nothing but email and word processing) has as a monthly download limit.

So you don't have DVDs and Handbrake down under?

What you point out as local problems extend to the US, too. All of my content has been ripped from DVD. I look to ITMS as a good source of free podcasts -- nothing more. I think you;ll find few people actually download content from ITMS for viewing on the HD TVs.

jashic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
it doesnt matter if you love ATV or not. Just because you and the 19 other people who bought ATV last year think it is the end all be all of all things holy, doesnt make it not a flop.

Apparently, apple agrees its a flop too. Considering they haven't done a single update since it's inception.

Btw..betamax was better than VHS. And Laserdisc was better than DVD's.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I'm pretty sure we'll see an update to bring the OS up to the 10.5 codebase, if nothing else. I'm sure they would include atleast some new features with that. :D

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
I love my AppleTV. I actually think its one of the best pieces of tech from 2007. 2TB of films & series on the back end helps too though :)

The best thing about it is that it's beautiful and simple to use. I don't want to be messing around with 360's & PS3's or running twonkyvision / mediatomb on my mac.........It's all about beautiful simplicity and elegance......

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
it doesnt matter if you love ATV or not. Just because you and the 19 other people who bought ATV last year think it is the end all be all of all things holy, doesnt make it not a flop.

Apparently, apple agrees its a flop too. Considering they haven't done a single update since it's inception.

Btw..betamax was better than VHS. And Laserdisc was better than DVD's.

Obviously they did do an update (to v.1.1) .....betamax was techincally superior to VHS but it was never better........It's all about the content.....and betamax / laserdisc never had it....with AppleTV you make your own....it's because people are lazy that it has perhaps been a sales flop.....for none lazy people it's a frickin marvel....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.