Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
California
I just wanted to know what you guys think of the likelyhood of seeing Appleworks 7. There is a suspicious rebate for it (www.apple.com/promo).

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
it seems like a good idea

for people like me who don't need all the bells and whistles of office 2001 for os 9 or office 10 for os x, appleworks has done its job for me

i use appleworks 5 and i know 6 is out, so i suppose an appleworks 7 would be for os x, right?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
AW7

I hope we see AppleWorks 7, its in need of an interface upgrade!

Also, it hasn't been updated in quite a while.

Guy

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
What exactly would y'all want to see in an upgraded AppleWorks 7?

Personally, I'd like Apple to rework Claris Homepage into it, so that website development would be easier than relying on the likes of GoLive all the time.

[Edited by pimentoLoaf on 12-30-2001 at 05:19 PM]

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Claris Homepage in AppleWorks

I would love it if Apple incorporated Homepage into AppleWorks. It would make the application complete!

Just think...Mac OS X let's any person easily serve a website off their Mac. But, let's say, you have somebody who would like to share pictures with others but doesn't know HTML, doesn't know how to get a webspace on another server, but's rich :) and has Cable, DSL or something faster. So, he pops up AppleWorks, goes through some assistants/templates and saves his work (automatically in the /Sites folder) and Presto! His picture gallery is complete for his family and friends to view. He just now gives his IP Address (easily given to him by AppleWorks at the end of his project) to his family and friends and he's done! (what, maybe 10-15 minute?)

We should get on Apple and make them get Homepage into AppleWorks.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA

Yes... 6.2.2 is for OS X. Funny think about Apple works 6 is that it works better in X than it dose in 9. or at least from my experiance. Apple works 6 was built with OS X in mind.. so I guess thats why. They GUI as a bit too intese for OS 9 when it came out I guess. I had all kinds of problems with it. Crashed all the time. Updates for it fixed most of the problems ... but still some instabillity. The OS X version works with no problems for me. I Use Office X my self so I only use Apple works with working with some of my old Files or to convert files typs. Interesting is that MS Works and Office for PC cant talk to each other but Apple works can read and write to both formats. ... thats what I use it for. Windows useres all ways get mad when I take there flopy and put it to a Mac, covert there unreadable file, then give it back to them so they can work with it on a PC. I love it.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
California
Appleworks is Carbon...

And there is some true Mac OS 10 things that need rethinking before I would declare it an OS 10 app. First it doesn't resize windows in real time!!! For those of you who remember Steve Job's keynote "Windows in Mac OS 10 resize in real time!". When the dock is put to the left of the screen the application ignores it! Office does this too sometimes with new windows and I would like this bug fixed!

I could rant all night about this...

But overall with a little upgrade and a couple new nifty features, Appleworks 7 would be a very nice app!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.