Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

octavs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
Hi, I would need to make an Appleworks database available to Windows .
The Mac and the PC are already networked for internet access. Is installing Appleworks for Windows on the PC going to help? Is this the only solution?
How much it would cost and where can I buy it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Appleworks database available on PC

Depends what you mean

Do you want a windows user to be able to open and use an Appleworks database, see everything onscreen as the Mac user does, change information, and possibly send back the file to your Mac Appleworks machine? Then buy Appleworks for Windows

Do you want to do a one-time transfer of information from Appleworks Mac to a different program on Win.? You can export data from Appleworks in a number of standard formats. Realize that you will lose all of your fonts, layouts, graphics, forms, calculations etc, when you export. The recipient will get only the static data, which they can import into Excel, Access, Filemaker, whatever they want. They would have to re-do any calculated fields in their own program.

Do you want the Win. user to see a relatively small amount of data complete with layouts and graphics, but they don't need to change the data or do searches? Send them printouts or screenshots of your Appleworks screens in PDF format.

Do you want to distribute your data to a number of different Windows users, who may or may not have the right software on the machine, and allow them to browse, search, print and modify data with your layouts, scripts and calculations? Purchase Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Pro Developer, redo your database in Filemaker Pro and use Developer to create "double-clickable" runtime databases for both Mac and Windows users. Or contract that work out to a Filemaker programmer.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

octavs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
Thanks Trevor, the kind of answer I was hoping for...:) I am a PC database guy, and I needed a quick solution for a list of about 800 customers. I realized that AW for win would be the only quick solution to maintain a single database, but it looks like they don't want to buy it. I did export the list in text, opened in Excel and then imported into Outlook, no big deal, but it is a one time shot. I tried to save it as .dbf but my "save as..." window lacks a selection list for file type. The only list I have is appleworks 5.0/6/claris 5/6/ascii file...
I didn't know about the FileMaker...I'll try that, I have to have it somwhere around...
Thanks again for your prompt answer!

Octav

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.