Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Why does the text in appleworks look so bad? It seems to not be smoothed at all (even with font smoothing on in the appleworks preferences), while TextEdit looks beautiful. I'm comparing Helvetica 12pt to Helvetica 12pt in both...why the difference?

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
Appleworks is a pretty old application and probably not optimized for OSX's text smoothing. Miscrosoft Word is definately the best word processing app out there.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
AppleWorks definately does use antialiasing, but it is not the same type as TextEdit. I suspect that, as Maclarny said, it is not optimised for Mac OS X.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Well i did some searching and I found a preference pane that makes all carbon applications use OS X's antialiasing and font smoothing...appleworks looks like textedit now.

Silk

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I use Openoffice.org, the free suite. On the PC it's much better because it runs natively in windows whereas this one has to go through X11. It's really not bad at all though. All the features are still here, and it's a rock stable word processor. Text doesn't look so nice though...
-Kevin

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by themadchemist
AppleWorks is a piece of junk any way you slice it. Extremely unstable.

It is?

I'm only annoyed by one thing lately and that's the way it handles Japanese since Mac OS X. It just won't display the whole character and of course, it prints it exactly as you see it.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
appleworks has never crashed on me it's stablke fast and usefull I prefer the simple interfase to word anyday

come on do you really need all that complecated crap?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: AppleWorks Text Sucks

Originally posted by oldschool
Why does the text in appleworks look so bad? It seems to not be smoothed at all (even with font smoothing on in the appleworks preferences), while TextEdit looks beautiful. I'm comparing Helvetica 12pt to Helvetica 12pt in both...why the difference?
ya know its called antialiasing :)

Anyway, AppleWorks is not a cocoa app. TextEdit is. They do it differently, yeah I was gonna suggest you use Silk...

AppleWorks is great I guess... v7 is probably going to be killer...but I guess I can make do with TextEdit and Keynote until then :)

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Re: Re: AppleWorks Text Sucks

Originally posted by übergeek
ya know its called antialiasing :)

Anyway, AppleWorks is not a cocoa app. TextEdit is. They do it differently, yeah I was gonna suggest you use Silk...

AppleWorks is great I guess... v7 is probably going to be killer...but I guess I can make do with TextEdit and Keynote until then :)

What's text smoothing then? Or was i just making up words?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.