Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Hello

I have 2 questions:

1) I downloaded Xee (http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee.html) to use instead of Preview. I like it.

But whenever I click on an image file, it starts up in Preview instead of Xee. When I right click on the file and select Open With -> Xee, it opens correctly but next time it again opens up in Preview. How can I change file/application bindings globally? I want all kinds of images to start in Xee instead of preview?

I am sure you can do it but I am not able to find the option? Pointers....

2) Is it possible to bind some key sequence like F12 to start an app? I use the terminal window a lot and to start it I have to either use Mouse to start it or I have to go through Spotlight search (if I dont want to use Mouse) or I have to use Alt+Tab to move through opened applications (if Terminal is open). Instead of all that I would like to just press F12 to start the terminal. I can do this with my KDE so was just wondering if its possible on my Mac?

PS: I dont have any idea to use Applescript of Automator (recently shifted to Mac) so if the above problems can be solved using any of the two methods, any pointer on the topic would be nice :)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
1) Get Info on File and select App to open that file (i.e. Xee) below that drop down menu hit the button "Change All..." that will enable all of those file types to open in Xee instead of Preview.

2) You'll need to get a launcher program, I highly recommend Quicksilver, in which you can set key strokes (triggers) to open certain apps or files. Or just use Spotlight which is built-in to the OS, hit cmd-spacebar and type Terminal.

acidity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
1) Get Info on File and select App to open that file (i.e. Xee) below that drop down menu hit the button "Change All..." that will enable all of those file types to open in Xee instead of Preview.

2) You'll need to get a launcher program, I highly recommend Quicksilver, in which you can set key strokes (triggers) to open certain apps or files. Or just use Spotlight which is built-in to the OS, hit cmd-spacebar and type Terminal.

Thanks for both answer. I knew about QuickSilver before but never gotten around to use it. Now once I installed and hacked around to implement the above feature, I can its a beautiful application. Will do more research tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.