Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I use Account Edge for Mac for our financial records. The account selection process could be speeded up by using keyboard shortcuts.

Instead of pulling down a menu and searching for accounts, I would like to assign function keys to enter the account numbers and then tab to the next field. I used to use Quick Keys, but this does not work with newer Mac Os's like Lion. Is there something else?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use Account Edge for Mac for our financial records. The account selection process could be speeded up by using keyboard shortcuts.

Instead of pulling down a menu and searching for accounts, I would like to assign function keys to enter the account numbers and then tab to the next field. I used to use Quick Keys, but this does not work with newer Mac Os's like Lion. Is there something else?
You can create application-specific shortcuts by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts
When you click the "+" to add a shortcut, simply select the Application it applies to from the dropdown menu at the top.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
You can create application-specific shortcuts by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts
When you click the "+" to add a shortcut, simply select the Application it applies to from the dropdown menu at the top.

I tried that, and assigned a few function keys, but it does not work. I want it to type out "1-1500" in a field, for example, but nothing happens in the application. Thanks.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
You can't add new menu commands - only change key codes for those that are already there.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I tried that, and assigned a few function keys, but it does not work. I want it to type out "1-1500" in a field, for example, but nothing happens in the application. Thanks.
It sounds like you need to use a text expander, such as:
Maybe the following text expanding / text macro applications* can help (?):

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
It sounds like you need to use a text expander, such as:

Great resources; I will investigate tonight. Quick Keys no longer works in Lion/Mountain Lion.
I need something that will allow me to create a numeric string and assign it to a function key.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.