Application specific keyboard shortcuts?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by senseless, Dec 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

senseless

I use Account Edge for Mac for our financial records. The account selection process could be speeded up by using keyboard shortcuts.

Instead of pulling down a menu and searching for accounts, I would like to assign function keys to enter the account numbers and then tab to the next field. I used to use Quick Keys, but this does not work with newer Mac Os's like Lion. Is there something else?

2. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

You can create application-specific shortcuts by going to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts
    When you click the "+" to add a shortcut, simply select the Application it applies to from the dropdown menu at the top.

3. macrumors 65816

senseless

I tried that, and assigned a few function keys, but it does not work. I want it to type out "1-1500" in a field, for example, but nothing happens in the application. Thanks.

4. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You can't add new menu commands - only change key codes for those that are already there.

5. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

It sounds like you need to use a text expander, such as:

6. macrumors 65816

senseless

Great resources; I will investigate tonight. Quick Keys no longer works in Lion/Mountain Lion.
    I need something that will allow me to create a numeric string and assign it to a function key.

Thanks again!