Application/way to see which process Reads/writes to disk

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by justperry, Feb 24, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

justperry

7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano
    As per the Title, is there a way to see which process is reading/writing to the HD.
    I am having continuously having writes to my disk and want to find out which process is the problem.
    Not continuously but every 2 seconds it will write to disk, this always going on when the Mac Mini is in use.

2. macrumors newbie

Try Hands Off!:

3. macrumors 68020

.. assuming that there is a problem, of course. :D

iotop and fs_usage are the tools for this.

4. macrumors 603

justperry

I'll check this out later, cheers.

The problem was iStatMenus, it has been resolved, IstatMenus replied to me, said is was resolved in 4.0.2, yet it is not so I disabled it, actually I disabled the Agent and still have some Menus and the issue is gone.
    I started a Thread on this, guy wasn't to happy I think, in another thread he literally said: In another thread someone started this and he got a few replies now, he was the only one to reply.

Thanks for the commands, I''l check them out.

5. macrumors 68020

I'm a great believer in not spending my life watching apps that monitor disk activity, fan speed, CPU temperature, Memory/process management, network activity, etc, etc unless there's an actual problem.
    OS X is likely to monitor these things more accurately than I can -- and even if it's not perfect, life's too short for me to do the OS's job.

There's a certain irony in using an app to monitor disk activity to investigate an app like iStatMenus....!

6. macrumors 603

justperry

Have to agree here, but, I just moved stuff over to a new Mac Mini 2012 and that's the reason I monitored it, the "sad" news was that iStatMenus created the problem and not the stuff moved over.
    So, irony yes.