Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'm reinstalling and re-downloading a few of my favorite themes...I'll do an initial test as soon as it's done, but I am headed to bed, so I know I'll just wait until the morning to really see if it's fixed. My guess is that if Saurik says it's fixed, it's likely fixed. :)

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
I haven't seen this bug since I restored as I mentioned earlier. But today while using the eat 24 app it would constantly get killed when I exited and opened another app. I could reproduce it every time with ease. After the winterboard update/fix I can no longer reproduce it. Hopefully it's working for everyone else.

Avoid The Dreaded "vnode" Leak

Some users have been reporting that, recently, while using WinterBoard, it is hard to keep many iOS applications running in the background: after you run more than a few, they are killed.

This issue did not correlate with new versions of WinterBoard (downgrading did not help), but it did clear itself up if you uninstalled WinterBoard. It did not require any themes to be active.

I have managed to track this down to leaking a key resource, something called a "vnode", of which Apple, by default, only allocates 1250; this bug is a complex multi-component overlap.

In this case, when using iOS 6.1 (maybe also 6.0, but maybe not), with a 0.9.400x version of Substrate, and virtually any version of WinterBoard, you will probably encounter this issue.

After spending a couple days looking into this reported issue with some custom vnode debugging tools I wrote (which required getting some help from planetbeing, due to kASLR), I have determined WinterBoard is the correct place to fix this issue, and have done so there in 0.9.3911.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
New WB update works great for me as well. No problems at all. \m/ Saurik.

Last edited:

billyker

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2013
Erm... Am I the only one which after updating to the new winterboard, my apps such as Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade still crashes upon opening... =(

Pared3s

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Im still getting crashes also following update. Downcast keeps crashing.

UPDATE: ever since this day my phone has stabilized and I haven't really had any app crashes. I had a couple instances of the phone respringing for no reason in SB Settings but other than that things have been good.

Last edited:

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Delete, reboot, reinstall? I had a similar problem with words with friends but it wasn't winter board related.

billyker

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2013
I narrowed all my tweaks down to just winterboard... it has to be that.. and I thought the update would fix it.. but apparently not yet...

anyone else with similar problems?

ckong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Previously, I downgraded to Mobile Substrate 0.9.3999.6 and removed WinterBoard 0.9.3910 to help stabilize my iPhone 5. It wasn't perfect, but it was the best I could get.

Last night, I upgraded Mobile Substrate to 0.9.4001 and installed the new WinterBoard 0.9.3911. It was late so I didn't do much testing, but at least my phone didn't end up in a re-Spring loop.

This morning, I noticed (apparently like many here), that Apps are still being killed. Here's the latest one from the /var/log/syslog file:

Mar 2 11:34:06 ckongs-iPhone com.apple.launchd[1] (UIKitApplication:com.saurik.Cydia[0xb108][2109]): (UIKitApplication:com.saurik.Cydia[0xb108]) Exited: Killed: 9

Yup. Cydia itself closed on me while I was browsing around. Ah the irony!

The latest MS and WB combo is a lot better than before, but there are still unexplained App exits.

Not sure if this is normal, but I have 180 of them today so far:

ckongs-iPhone:/var/log root# grep "^Mar 2.*Exited: Killed: 9$" syslog | wc -l

I'm thankful Saurik (and PlanetBeing) and whoever else is working on this issue. After all, they are doing it for free. I'm going to be patient and wait for any updates. At least my iPhone seems to be running much more stable than before.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
My winterboard had been perfect up until today (have the latest update). For some reason I keep losing parts of my theme. Hard reboots, deselecting/reselecting the theme does nothing to help. Items that are in my theme aren't being applied, such as my 2x2 folder icon as a quick example, even though nothing in my theme folder has changed, I can see it there still. Wish I never updated.

brittag

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Erm... Am I the only one which after updating to the new winterboard, my apps such as Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade still crashes upon opening... =(

There are a few games that seem to consistently crash when Winterboard is installed - Marvel War of Heroes and Hellfire are a couple of others that I've seen reported. This isn't related to the vnode bug; it's some other kind of problem, and saurik will look into this when he can.

My winterboard had been perfect up until today (have the latest update). For some reason I keep losing parts of my theme. Hard reboots, deselecting/reselecting the theme does nothing to help. Items that are in my theme aren't being applied, such as my 2x2 folder icon as a quick example, even though nothing in my theme folder has changed, I can see it there still. Wish I never updated.

This isn't likely to be caused by this Winterboard update; it just fixed the vnode issue and didn't change other things. Did you recently upgrade ayecon? Some people ran into issues with that upgrade; reinstalling ayecon should fix that problem.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
There are a few games that seem to consistently crash when Winterboard is installed - Marvel War of Heroes and Hellfire are a couple of others that I've seen reported. This isn't related to the vnode bug; it's some other kind of problem, and saurik will look into this when he can.

This isn't likely to be caused by this Winterboard update; it just fixed the vnode issue and didn't change other things. Did you recently upgrade ayecon? Some people ran into issues with that upgrade; reinstalling ayecon should fix that problem.

I'm not using ayecon.

billyker

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2013

Ohh.... So it seems like its mobage's games that has issues.... hmm.. okay.. Thanks! =)

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Since the update, I haven't had a single app crash, nor any early app closures in the multitasking department. At least for me, the latest update has fixed all my issues.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Since the update, I haven't had a single app crash, nor any early app closures in the multitasking department. At least for me, the latest update has fixed all my issues.

Ditto. All good here. Facebook was crashing every time I opened it before, now it's working great.

atr45

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2011
I removed winterboard to see if this fixes the crashes. I havent test further will post back in few days. But seems to be stable. I didnt see any new updates for Winterboard and didnt update since within the month or two.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I previously had problems with Facebook crashing constantly. After updating Winterboard tonight, I just scrolled all the way down my news feed into yesterday, randomly clicking in and out of pics and profiles, and no crash yet. Hopefully it stays this good!

COBRASVT

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Atlanta
I haven't had any problems in the last week or so either and I'm running Winterboard with the Ayecon them again.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Well, a quick update...

Facebook has crashed a couple times today, but only on one particular profile for some reason. It did seem to still kill the background apps as well. But at least it's a much rarer occurrence now.

Aside from that, I haven't had any other of the persistent crashes, so this update has at least helped something. Good job to the dev(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.