Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Apologies if already posted
I have finally decided what Mac to get so i wondering what apps or software you would recommend to download in order to help your laptop.

I am completely new to Mac so have no idea what to download. I am seeing software like Glimmreblock and Clamxav on this board?

should i download those and if not what software do i need?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
;)

erm do i need glimmblocker and caffine?

i want to use my mac for doing essays, music, movies and browsing really.
Glimmerblocker works well in blocking ads on websites. Caffeine is useful for overriding your Energy Saver settings to keep your Mac awake with a simple click on the Menu Bar icon. I use and recommend both apps.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Some of my favorite apps I cannot live without

• Menutunes - iTunes Notification & Menubar controller
  • DayOne - Journal
  • Trillian - Messenger
  • AppCleaner - App Uninstaller
  • CopyPath - CopyPath Tool
  • Growl - Notification system
  • TextWrangler - Powerful free text editor
  • TheUnarchiver - Archiver/Unzipper Utility
  • Perian - quicktime plugins/codecs
  • Flip4Mac - plugin - watch wmv's through quicktime
  • CarbonCopyCloner - powerful backup utility
  • SnapNDrag - screenshot utility
  • Transmission - torrent
  • Write2 - Lightweight text editor
  • BetterTouchTool - Trackpad/mouse gesture tool
  • Paragon NTFSforMac - Read/Write to NTFS Paritions
  • BatchImageResizer - Resize Images in Batch to various formats
  • Toast Titanium - burning software
  • Burn - free powerful burning software
  • Handbrake - ripping software

Last edited:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Not too many apps…ML have everything I am looking for except for apps for deaf/hearing impaired.

Twitter
CCleaner
AppZapper
Adobe CS5
Aperture

I love Trillian but I had to remove it because it does not have a push notification not like Windows version. :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
A couple observations. You can certainly use any apps you choose, but those who are new to Macs may benefit from some additional information about some of these. Frequently when these app recommendation threads are posted, people include app removal software such as AppZapper, AppCleaner, etc. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

The other type of app mentioned from time to time are apps like CCleaner or similar apps. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Again, use whatever apps you want, but this may help those who want to know the truth about such apps. Just because an app exists or is popular doesn't mean it's necessary or completely effective.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Glimmerblocker works well in blocking ads on websites. Caffeine is useful for overriding your Energy Saver settings to keep your Mac awake with a simple click on the Menu Bar icon. I use and recommend both apps.

Do you download them off the website or app store?

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
A couple observations. You can certainly use any apps you choose, but those who are new to Macs may benefit from some additional information about some of these. Frequently when these app recommendation threads are posted, people include app removal software such as AppZapper, AppCleaner, etc. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

The other type of app mentioned from time to time are apps like CCleaner or similar apps. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Again, use whatever apps you want, but this may help those who want to know the truth about such apps. Just because an app exists or is popular doesn't mean it's necessary or completely effective.

Ahh thanks for that!

so i dont need a ccleaner or anything. On macs you dont need to clean cashes or anything?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ahh thanks for that!

so i dont need a ccleaner or anything. On macs you dont need to clean cashes or anything?
No, unless there is a specific problem that needs to be addressed by deleting a particular cache. As I stated, caches are there to improve performance. "Cleaning" them degrades performance. I suspect the urge to "clean" or "maintain" is some leftover Windows mentality.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
No, unless there is a specific problem that needs to be addressed by deleting a particular cache. As I stated, caches are there to improve performance. "Cleaning" them degrades performance. I suspect the urge to "clean" or "maintain" is some leftover Windows mentality.

Yep. Just cleaning cookies or left over 'stuff' from websites visited, is something i did regularly on my windows laptop.

Also i just wanted to ask something since your a mac expert.

When i 1st start my mac for the first time and i set up my username and password, does that make me the administrator and if yes, should i keep it that way, where i am always asked to type my username/password for pop ups or whatever. In other words can you turn that feature off where there in no administrator.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yep. Just cleaning cookies or left over 'stuff' from websites visited, is something i did regularly on my windows laptop.
You can clear your cookies and browser cache easily from within the browser. There's no need for an additional app to do that.
Also i just wanted to ask something since your a mac expert.
I'd never claim to be an expert. There is always something new to learn.
When i 1st start my mac for the first time and i set up my username and password, does that make me the administrator and if yes, should i keep it that way, where i am always asked to type my username/password for pop ups or whatever. In other words can you turn that feature off where there in no administrator.
Yes, when you first set up your Mac, you are by default an administrator. Yes, you should keep it that way. There must be at least one administrator for your computer. There is no disadvantage to running an administrator user account.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
There is no disadvantage to running an administrator user account.

Correct me if I'm wrong I read in another thread that using the admin account made you more vulnerable to specific types of malware. The poster might have just been wrong.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Just a couple that I use everyday:

• MacVim
  • iTerm2
  • IntelliJ
  • Alfred
  • Divvy
  • Better Touch Tool

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Dont know what i need
Try putting the cart behind the horse instead of in front of it.

Start with this: What do you need/want to do? Find software to fit your needs versus browsing every possible application and wondering if each one is useful to you or not.

xAgustinx

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
PcMagazine of this month, recommends some free software.

Bring me your email and I can share it.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.