Apps Taking Forever to install! Normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redbarchetta85, Aug 4, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Ever since I got my iPhone, it seems like it takes forever to install apps, regardless of how big they are. I have about four pages of apps now, and every one took 3-4 minutes to download and install. It's really, really annoying.

Is this normal?

2. macrumors 604

mcdj

Forever and 3-4 min are not really the same, last time I looked at a clock. Mine have taken a couple of minutes, maybe 3, on wifi. If you are on Edge, yes, forever is plausible.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, 3-4 minutes seems like forever when the app is just a few megs. I simply don't understand why it takes so long.

And no, it's not via EDGE, it's via Wifi -- I'm like 2 ft from the router. The downloading isn't the problem, it's the installing.

4. macrumors 604

mcdj

have you rebooted the phone lately? not saying it will help...

the installation process does seem to be slower than it should for a small app.

5. macrumors newbie

Apps take forever to update on mine.

6. macrumors 68000

extraextra

Mine take forever to update and install. If I download it via wifi onto the phone it takes forever. If I download it onto the computer it goes fast, but when I sync my phone it takes forever (and no, I am not backing up anything, I'm talking about the individual app). :mad:

7. macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Lowdown:

Over EDGE = Forever

Over Wi-Fi/3G = Longer than it has to be IMO

Hopefully it's just a 2.0 thing...but your not alone. Also about the syncing part above, I believe the 2.1 firmware will address this.

8. macrumors Core

alphaod

I think everything needs to be revamped.

9. macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Even on quick Wifi, I can see installations for even smaller programs take 5-10 to even 15 minutes

Is odd though as other programs take 2-3 minutes

I have restarted the phone and done all that but it seems to be a flip of the coin for me as they either are quick or 5-15 minutes

10. macrumors 603

Mine also seem to take awhile. They key is to NEVER EVER DO IT USING THE PHONE. I've had to use recovery mode twice to get my phone working after updating apps using the phone.

But I think we're comparing the iPhone CPU to a desktop CPU. It's obviously going to take longer on a phone, and the desktop stuff is just so darn fast that we're spoiled. Same thing happened with EDGE. 4x faster than dial-up over a phone network really isn't "slow." The iPhone just bridged the gap so well between computers and phones that people got antsy about it. I'm not saying I'm so darn happy with EDGE, but it ain't that bad.