Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tessfennnewyork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2023
Hey everyone,

Recently, there have been some M2 MacBook Pro deals in the UK. I was aiming to purchase an M2 Pro laptop, but the only available option was a 14-inch M2 Max base model, for which I paid £2000. I plan to use the laptop for video editing, as I'm currently using a 2020 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro. After selling my current laptop, the total cost would be around £1500. Do you think it's worth it? It does hurt my wallet a bit, as I was hoping to save money, even though video editing is intended to be my future career (it's a hobby for now).

Thank you 😅

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
M2 Max should do video editing just fine. Storage might be an issue but I’ll assume you have something worked out, external devices etc.

So your question is one of value, the £1500 vs some other amount on some other computer - is that right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Monetary value judgments are a very personal metric. I think the M2 Max is a good computer, and probably worth the cost to some users, possibly including video editors. Whether it’s worth that cost to you for your intended use, I couldn’t speculate.

murzika

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
M2 Max is a beefy upgrade on the old M1 Pro. I don't think you can be disappointed.

I created my profile picture here using the power of the M2 Max. I would say it's totally worth it.

Dfds

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
Hey everyone,

Recently, there have been some M2 MacBook Pro deals in the UK. I was aiming to purchase an M2 Pro laptop, but the only available option was a 14-inch M2 Max base model, for which I paid £2000. I plan to use the laptop for video editing, as I'm currently using a 2020 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro. After selling my current laptop, the total cost would be around £1500. Do you think it's worth it? It does hurt my wallet a bit, as I was hoping to save money, even though video editing is intended to be my future career (it's a hobby for now).

Thank you 😅
Just to let you know Costco are currently offering the 14” M2 Max 1TB model for £2299

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
Actually, I just bought one on Apple refurb (16G, 1TB SSD) for the same price as a new M3 MBA (16G, 1TB SSD). For me, the screen size difference was neglible. Have not regretted it all, and would definitely do again. Good luck, as the M2 Max 14s are becoming short in supply.

Last edited:

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
It is really up to you if it is actually worth it. Any of the M series chips are good. Honestly though, seeing as you are doing this as a hobby and not making a living with it, I don't see why you really should upgrade from an M1 Pro. They are not slow computers, still usable for many many many years to come. And as you said yourself it would hurt financially. Don't upgrade, there is no benefit to you and only hurting you financially for something that is a created desire and want by the marketing geniuses at Apple. The high you get from updating your computer will quickly be gone when you realize it is not earth shattering or world changing, and only noticeably faster in a few places, but other then that it is the same as your M1 Pro.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
What software are you using for video editing? Chances are it benefits from additional RAM over the base model offering. It is not just how powerful the system is but how it works with the other two components. More RAM than the base model is common for video editing. A 512 internal SSD plus additional storage is perhaps a good fit.

Perhaps keeping your laptop and also investing in a desktop set up with a Mini and 27" monitor would be a good fit for that type of work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.