Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evermorecas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2021
My sister bought me second hand airpods pros a bit ago (the seller had good reviews and the airpods were sold as personal item of theirs, it came with a protective case and was not packaged to look brand new) and I noticed the limited warranty had been extended due to the extension of the replacement program. I wanted to look into replacing them since I have noticed they have some static but now I'm not sure if they are real or not.

When inputting the serial number as shown on the case I see a valid purchase date but then I try putting in the serial number for the right and left buds and it says that the serial number isn't valid.

The airpods model number is a2084 if that matters. Other than the static they work fine. They're on the latest update, connect immediately to my iphone and macbook, I can hear the audio shifting as I move when using spatial audio, ANC does a good job of filtering noise out, seamleslly toggles between transparent, ANC and off modes with a notable difference in each mode, all the features related to the airpods in settings work including the ear tip test and audio sharing, they charge wirelessly, optimized charging works great but I know fakes are getting better so now I'm not sure if these aren't some really good fakes.

Since I can't access an apple store at the moment I was thinking of doing mail in for the replacement program. If I sent them and they turned out to be fake, they should just send the airpods back with a message that they're fake right? I don't want them to think I was trying to scam them or anything. Or is there a better way to figure out if they're legit or not?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 12.08.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 12.08.23 PM.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5365.PNG
    IMG_5365.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5366.jpg
    IMG_5366.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 91
  • message.png
    message.png
    733.1 KB · Views: 98

naotoyo

Suspended
Aug 22, 2021
I don’t like that AirPods pro because there are far too many options that are better.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Possible you’re entering the serial number wrong or using the wrong one. It’s generally inside the cover for the case and super duper difficult to read that the website wants or on the box if you still have it. Unsure where you’re getting serial numbers for the individual airpod. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one for each. Have replaced one or the other a couple times and used the number inside the case for reference.

You also shouldn’t be hearing static as you described. That ain’t normal. >.<

Reactions: DeltaMac

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The location for Air Pod pros serial number is inside the case. There's no individual left/right serial numbers.

AirPods or AirPods Pro​

If you have AirPods or AirPods Pro, your AirPods and your charging case share a serial number. You can find the serial number on the underside of the lid of your Charging Case or Wireless Charging Case.
AirPods Charging Case and Wireless Charging Case serial number

Last edited:

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Use the serial number on the case. The L/R serial numbers link to that particular case. The firmware revision that you posted in the attached picture is the current Apple firmware which you not not likely see if they were not genuine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.