Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391892353.274866.jpg

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
Ya that's exactly give or take what mine are. I only have one more tier upgrade I can do in my area up to 50 download. So I'd say that's above average yes.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Compared to my wifi yeah that's awesome. I get 2.5 download at home:( I dream of getting google fiber but that will never happen

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
That's higher upload than Time Warner gives me. Mine is only around 15mb down, 3 up. I get better speeds on LTE from my phone than my WiFi.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It's wifi, look at the symbol. The 5S can do very well with both LTE and wifi.

The symbol on the top of the screen doesn't tell me anything though. You can turn WiFi off to run the test and then turn it back on. It depends on when you take the screen shot.

The image you posted is more informative.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The symbol on the top of the screen doesn't tell me anything though. You can turn WiFi off to run the test and then turn it back on. It depends on when you take the screen shot.

No, try it. Run the test. Take the screenshot. Press the home button and go back into the app. Tell me what happens.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I don't bother with Wi-Fi at home because I know what service I buy.

Cellular wise my best speed has been 37.82up/17.85down. My worst has been 6.81up/5.99down.

Pings average 75.

Miami, Fl.

----------

No, try it. Run the test. Take the screenshot. Press the home button and go back into the app. Tell me what happens.

You know you can turn on/off Wi-Fi without closing out of the app or going into the settings, right?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Are my speed numbers good?

Why would you press the home button? Verizon's crappy 3G with and without wifi indicator.

ugezyges.jpg

gedaje3e.jpg

----------

OP that's pretty good better then my Comcast. When I had Fios it was 30/30 very consistently though.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why would you press the home button? Verizon's crappy 3G with and without wifi indicator.

----------

OP that's pretty good better then my Comcast. When I had Fios it was 30/30 very consistently though.

The version on your phone works differently than the version on mine. Mine always goes back to the home screen not the results screen. And as you can see in my screenshot I get good lte and 3G speeds.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The version on your phone works differently than the version on mine. Mine always goes back to the home screen not the results screen. And as you can see in my screenshot I get good lte and 3G speeds.

Goes back the home screen when you pull up control center?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

Regardless, you can tell by the size of the image that the screen shot most likely came from a non LTE iPhone, ie: 4 or 4S. Verizon didn't have anything before that, and the LTE iPhones have a longer screen.

And Verizon 3G isn't going to get that fast. So yeah, Wifi...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Regardless, you can tell by the size of the image that the screen shot most likely came from a non LTE iPhone, ie: 4 or 4S. Verizon didn't have anything before that, and the LTE iPhones have a longer screen.

Look, I was just pointing out that the OPs question wasn't very clear. For all we know it could be an iPad screen shot.

More information is better, otherwise people have to assume things.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012

Verizon iPhone 5, actually.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Does the iphone 5s have mimo? If it doesn't it is still very fast. See my speedtest above. I'm sure I could have gotten faster, if I took the time to find an unused 5mhz channel on my router.

It doesn't. Basically I can get the same speeds on my iPhone but I have to be closer. MIMO allows me to get full speed from the 2nd floor of the house whilst being in a room that is the furthest away from the router.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It doesn't. Basically I can get the same speeds on my iPhone but I have to be closer. MIMO allows me to get full speed from the 2nd floor of the house whilst being in a room that is the furthest away from the router.

There are way too many variables in wireless to give a pat answer. Depending on the construction, being in the next room may not be able to even get reception.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
There are way too many variables in wireless to give a pat answer. Depending on the construction, being in the next room may not be able to even get reception.

Depends, the second attena will boost signal reception under normal circumstances. That's a fact. Yes, under some circumstances it may be different but most houses and buildings will see a difference, even if the results are varried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.