Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
If you listen to dub step, house, electronic, hip hop, and rock, the bass in beats is killer!

I listen to dubstep. I assure you that my Sennheiser HD518's are perfectly fine. Not perfect, but definitely pretty darn good. I did also love my HD429s...

ANd if you really want to get the best headphones you can, take what you'd spend on your beats, and get the equivalent Sennheiser or Audio technica. I hear the M50 is pretty nice (audiotechnica)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yes, bass is everything to me! I first bought Bose which are the same price but I was like where's the bass?

I went with beats and OMG it's perfect for me.

I don't listen to classical guitar, so I need mega bass. For my kind of music, more bass = more amazing (dubstep music, house, electronic, hip hop, rock).

----------

Why do people hate on beats? The bass is crazy good. I listen to dub step, house, and electronic. Also rap and rock. So I need bass! More = better :D

Fair enough. But assume you would also like clarity in the mids and treble?

if you ever get a chance listen it some alternatives, you can get your bass and clarity also. For instance buyerdynamic dt 770 pro

While Beats are for bass heads , well mid bass to be specific , you pay a lot for the branding with Beats. I find beats to be an image thing! it's cool to have a pair due to the marketing, which they do very well.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
I don't believe in the Bose are rubbish tune. Like I mentioned I have a number of Bose products. Just in the scheme of audio gear, they only go so far from my experience, but that is probably due to the highend gear I compare them to.

The soundlink mini you mention has some great reviews. Though not something I am interested in, as I have a mobile rig I use, I prefer headphones.

Anyway, glad you enjoy them.

No worries, small / portable and decent sound is all I was after :)
As for the internal MBP speakers ... no way !!
( unless you just want to listen to vocals and hi-hats !)

For headphones I have AKG 270's and Sony Pro MDRV706 IIRC.
M.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Not full time. But they are great. I have a bluetooth speaker and I also use headphones. Apple ear buds for youtube videos and Beats by Dre for musc :D:D:D

So basically you don't like good audio quality all that much :p (Especially with the bluetooth speakers).

No, I would not even dare think of using the MBP's speakers as more than a convenience when nothing else is around. I have high end bookshelf speakers for my computer room and even better tower speakers in the living room for any listening I do.

jkundi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
I'm torn between buying the B&W MM1s and the Harman Kardon Novas, need to make my choice in the next day, I love listening to music and the standard speakers on my late rMBP 15" sound awful in closed environments (small desk in my room) they are ok when I'm listening to music in an open environment (living room/kitchen).

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm torn between buying the B&W MM1s and the Harman Kardon Novas, need to make my choice in the next day, I love listening to music and the standard speakers on my late rMBP 15" sound awful in closed environments (small desk in my room) they are ok when I'm listening to music in an open environment (living room/kitchen).

Well, one retails for 260 pounds, the other for 400 pounds, unless you really really love the B&W, the Harman is an excellent speaker.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I have an iMac but feel the same sometimes I want slightly "louder" sound, would also like something for my iPad as well.

Can somebody recommend a good bluetooth speaker that is not very big?

jkundi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
Well, one retails for 260 pounds, the other for 400 pounds, unless you really really love the B&W, the Harman is an excellent speaker.

Yes I'm aware, and I don't mind paying for the B&W's but if in a small room both would sound the same to me I would opt for the Harman, which I'm leaning towards (plus I save allot of £).. now what colour would look nice the white or black :rolleyes:

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
At first, when I spent a year with my Classic and then six months with a Retina: Perfectly fine to me. The sound was clear enough and I could watch movies on my desk in between classes or listen to music while I do my homework.

And then my roommate/FWB girl brought her Lenovo Y510P into my room so we could watch House of Cards together and I was blown away by the sound quality. Our other housemate had to ask us to turn it down because she was studying. After that, MacBook speakers weren't up to snuff.

And then I had to carry her Y510P back to her room, with the charger and almost threw out my back doing it: Then MacBook speakers were just fine for me. :cool:

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Why do people hate on beats? The bass is crazy good. I listen to dub step, house, and electronic. Also rap and rock. So I need bass! More = better :D

People like to hate on things that are popular :)

They might not be the best choice for everybody, but a lot of people like them for what they are!

abowlby

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Eastern US
I recently got my first Mac and I have to be honest the speakers are one of my favorite features. I came from ThinkPads and Sony's Vaio series. I've also used Dell and MSI machines and none of them sound anywhere near as good as my rMBP speakers. I'm very happy with this machine. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.