Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
i want to see what is faster... the g4 or the pentium m... i was just wondering if anyone can show me some benchmark proof of it... whichever you say

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Soc7777777 said:
i want to see what is faster... the g4 or the pentium m... i was just wondering if anyone can show me some benchmark proof of it... whichever you say
i didnt use caps everyone... im learning :D

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
depends on the app...

and can i ask why you are asking? i ask because a topic like this often ends up in massive flamewars.

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
jxyama said:
depends on the app...

and can i ask why you are asking? i ask because a topic like this often ends up in massive flamewars.
because i have a friend who is very ignorant when it comes to computers... and i just want to offer some concrete proof that the g4 isnt years behind... and is actually similar to pentium m

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
jxyama said:
depends on the app...

oh and apps.. maybe like photoshop, or ms office.. or some other basic video or word processing or internet program that everyon uses often

krimson

macrumors 65816
benchmark comparisons are stupid IMHO, they're almost never fully comparable.

Machines that use a faster bus, slower bus, less ram, slower ram, etc.. etc... PC users can use exes that are optimized for their processors, Mac users can get alitvec optimized apps. etc.

Like Apples intial audio comparision... use Logic 6 (or 5, i dont remember) vs a PC using Cubase, trying to perform the same thing. Call me a traitor, but i think it's obvious that the G5 would have won in that one.

Anyways, benchmarking a Wintel and a Mac is like comparing Apple and Oranges (pun intended)... either side can and will finagle the test/results.

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Soc7777777 said:
because i have a friend who is very ignorant when it comes to computers... and i just want to offer some concrete proof that the g4 isnt years behind... and is actually similar to pentium m

G4 is years behind and a pentium m is faster.

Think of it like: The 1.7 Pentium M is the equiv of a 3GHz P4.

And the pentium m is currently up to 2.0ghz

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Soc7777777 said:
oh and apps.. maybe like photoshop, or ms office.. or some other basic video or word processing or internet program that everyon uses often

ok, i lied a bit too, it doesn't depend just on apps because different apps for different platforms are optimised differently.

one of many reasons why i choose to ignore benchmarks altogether.

ok, for your friend, just tell him G4 is behind pentium m. afterall, pentium m is the newest chip.

however, g4 being behind pentium m says nothing about the performance/usability of computers using those chips.

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
Soc7777777 said:

Benchmarks are no better then statistics when it comes to "proof". Most benchmarks you will find usually come down to the eye of the beholder. It's really hard to compare the two...

Try one... And also compare battery life, heat, etc...

The Pentium M will probably be faster it's a much newer chip. But the G4 isn't a dinosaur just yet either. Atleast until the G5 Powerbook comes out, and then people will call the G4 a slug. ;) If your friend is trully "ignorant about computers" you probably won't convince them one way or another. They will only believe marketting hype...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
I just got back from the Apple Store SoHo and I have to say that the 1.5 GHZ G4s were pretty fast. I'm not quite sure if they beat my Pentium-M 1.7 GHZ, or if my Pentium-M is slower. It is true that you can't really compare a Mac's performance to a PC's performance.

One thing is for certain: not all PC's are going to be as fast as each other, even if they use the same chip. Check http://www.cnet.com/, go to the Notebooks section, and look for computers running with Pentium-Ms. They have benchmarks. I believe the Thinkpad T42 is currently among the fastest.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Soc7777777 said:

He is not ignorant and he's right. Since no one is giving you a benchmark, let me point you to barefeats.com. This is a mac-centric site and they even admitted that the G4 was walloped by the P-M. They were comparing the top of the line powerbook (17" PB 1.33) of the time to the lowest-end regular Pentium M (1.3Ghz) They've since edited out the test (they made a note of taking the test out and I'll see if I can find a Google archived version--- seems they got too many complaints about the fact that the Centrino killed the PB) It's annoying I can't point to it, but understandable as they still have to make money advertising to the mac community. Now the 1.3 was a Banias Pentium M. Today there is a 2.0 Ghz Dothan Pentium M which has double the L2 cache of the original and runs 4Watts cooler at max (21Watts)

There is this test too, but it isn't quite as even a test as the one they removed. (BTW, the 1.8 Pentium M listed is actually a 1.6 typo because there was no 1.8 version until just this month and that test is from 9/23/03)
barefeats.com

Still annoyed they were pressured to remove the original test...

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
If you look here you'll see at the date 9/19/2003 after the semicolon, the fact that he removed the Centrino info.

And right here, and yes I know I'm going to hell for pointing to this site but it was one of the few I could find that had quotes from the original review, and look about a fifth way down the page for "more benchmark fun", you'll see some tidbits from the barefeats review.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
legion said:
He is not ignorant and he's right. Since no one is giving you a benchmark, let me point you to barefeats.com. This is a mac-centric site and they even admitted that the G4 was walloped by the P-M. They were comparing the top of the line powerbook (17" PB 1.33) of the time to the lowest-end regular Pentium M (1.3Ghz) They've since edited out the test (they made a note of taking the test out and I'll see if I can find a Google archived version--- seems they got too many complaints about the fact that the Centrino killed the PB) It's annoying I can't point to it, but understandable as they still have to make money advertising to the mac community. Now the 1.3 was a Banias Pentium M. Today there is a 2.0 Ghz Dothan Pentium M which has double the L2 cache of the original and runs 4Watts cooler at max (21Watts)

There is this test too, but it isn't quite as even a test as the one they removed. (BTW, the 1.8 Pentium M listed is actually a 1.6 typo because there was no 1.8 version until just this month and that test is from 9/23/03)
barefeats.com

Still annoyed they were pressured to remove the original test...
Oh, crap. There is exactly one metric for the determination of a computer's performance. It is as simple as this:

How fast does the computer do the job that you need done?

Unless your job is running benchmarks, no standard benchmarking program can answer that question. It matters not whether barefeats.com or anyone else is pro-Mac or anti-Mac.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
What the!?!?

Check out this comparison from barefeats.com

I dont understand how the 1 GHZ AlBook 17 inch scored soooo much lower than the 1 GHZ AlBook 15 inch. can this be right? or could the machine just have a bad day? :(

Attachments

• al15-ogl.gif
    al15-ogl.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 200

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
G4 vs Pentium M

Call a G4 pretty close to a pentium M (last years revision). 1.5 G4 is pretty close to a 1.5 Pentium M.

but considering they don't even make a pentium M that slow.

and the new pentium M with 2 meg of L2 cache is a bad mammer jammer.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
krimson said:
Anyways, benchmarking a Wintel and a Mac is like comparing Apple and Oranges (pun intended)... either side can and will finagle the test/results.

You mean Apples to Lemons? :D
(sorry)
The easiest way to compare these 2 for a purchase decision is to write the pros and cons for the 2 devices... a lot of these can be very subjective (ie "looks cool"), and therefore only applies to you. An objective comparison is flawed at best for the reasons stated by Krimson.

-Wyrm

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
wide said:
Check out this comparison from barefeats.com

I dont understand how the 1 GHZ AlBook 17 inch scored soooo much lower than the 1 GHZ AlBook 15 inch. can this be right? or could the machine just have a bad day? :(

The Benchmark is OpenGL - and since the 15 inch was sooo much after the 17 PB it had a better video processor. Not much really to do with the cpu.

-Wyrm

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Wyrm said:
The Benchmark is OpenGL - and since the 15 inch was sooo much after the 17 PB it had a better video processor. Not much really to do with the cpu.

-Wyrm

ohhh thanks...i didn't know the two computers were released at different times

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
wide said:
ohhh thanks...i didn't know the two computers were released at different times

Yeah, to the chagrin of all.
The first Hammerhead was a nvidia 440Go Spec

The first 15 Al was an ATI 9600 Mobility... Spec

As the benchmarks show - night and day OpenGL performance.

-Wyrm

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
apple needs a mobile chip. sticking a G5 in a laptop sounds hot and loud and power-consuming. my Ti G4 powerbook is hot as it is. i think there could be something better than putting a G5 in a laptop. i hope apple has a cool practical solution in the works.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
ifjake said:
apple needs a mobile chip. sticking a G5 in a laptop sounds hot and loud and power-consuming. my Ti G4 powerbook is hot as it is. i think there could be something better than putting a G5 in a laptop. i hope apple has a cool practical solution in the works.

Yeah, true - same with the Al book... gets nice and toasty! I haven't heard too much from IBM... but even a 1Ghz 970 was like 10W or something right? Maybe some of the FX series or the mystical 975 would be able to maintain that power level with a little more oomph. Oh well, there's a long summer ahead and a new PowerMac should be coming out first.

-Wyrm

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
edesignuk said:
A Pentium M will crush the G4. But what OS do you like? That's really what it come down to.

:rolleyes: I'm not sure "crush" is a good word to describe the performance difference... the G4, in it's recent incarnations, is a pretty capable cpu. No complaints here...

It's package, it's presentation, it's feel, it's status, it's the cool factor, it's eye-candy, it's being different, it's taking the other road, it's style, it's the brand, it's the buzz, it's being hip, AND it's not being affected by the %@^$ Sasser! :D

-Wyrm

bishopdante

macrumors newbie
Well... As it happens.

Apple seem to think that the Pentium M is so much better that they're going to put the dual core ones in the new macs next year. Shocking! OSX for intel will probably run better than longhorn, but the hardware will inevitably cost more. What is happening to the world? Apple and Microsoft using the same hardware architecture! The G5 is a superb chip, but costs a small fortune, pumps out loads of heat and needs the same amount of power as a tungsten lightbulb. That's because the original version of the chip is about 6 inches across.

It's all about the laptop these days.

But why didn't apple choose to use the cell? I'm disappointed.

It seems weird that apple developed the PowerPC architecture, and now it's in all of the new consoles, one of which is made by Microsoft, and Apple are now switching to X86 chips. It's just surreal.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Well according to Macrumors they were considered but they found out it wasn't a good PC architecture

Major highlights:

- "They run Windows fine. All the chipset is standard Intel stuff, so you can download drivers and run XP - on the box."
- Game devs optimistic. "They look forward to the day they don't have to support PPC."
- Cell and AMD were evaluated. Cell not intended for PCs; AMD with supply constraints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.