Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Just a check-in here;

Are UV filters still a best practice for lens ?
Who’s using them, who’s not, and why?

My prior cameras T1i and 70D and all the myriad of lens I had used a UV filter on. Reasons were .. protection from damage , glare, etc.

On my R5 and it’s 2 lens, I always shoot with a L lens, the lens hood it came with on, and don’t use a UV filter.

From the web;
Just one of the many, this from 2016:
“One of the primary reasons to use a UV filter on a camera lens is to prevent lens flare and ghosting. Lens flare occurs when light enters the lens at an angle and reflects off the internal elements, causing a hazy or washed-out appearance in the image.”

So, as the lens I buy are high end L , they have coatings already to mitigate lens flare.
I feel no need UV filter, nor desire something in my light optics path, as these are $2k+ lens …

1b2b7dd20b734f40c7696a68942c94d6.jpg

bb73869d39b6ca6af350c0e570f3b9a2.jpg

I saw this in a selling area which prompted this thread.
(I sold my beloved EF 70-200 mkii last year)
a85bdfe78c6c781511ff24dd66d50b47.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: transpo1

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
You will find people strongly in both camps.

I use a hood whenever possible. I feel like it affords more protection by recessing the lens from whatever might damage it. I've also seen where smashing a filter causes more damage to a lens because it gets bent out of shape. I have several lenses that don't have hoods, and I just use them bare. I've never seen the point to spending $500-2,000 on a lens and then put a cheap piece of glass in front of it. Others will tell you that the filter saved their lens....I'm never quite convinced because a filter is a much thinner piece of glass than lens glass and therefore more prone to breaking.

The only glass filter I use is a Glimmer Glass filter on my X100V. You need a filter to complete the weather sealing of the camera and I like the slight softness the Glimmer Glass. I actually have a UV filter for it as well, also just for the weather sealing and ended up switching back to the GG, but this is a highly personal decision and understand that GG is not a regular filter for lens protection. I wouldn't recommend it unless someone specifically wants the look.

Also, I'm not sure that using a UV filter was ever "best practice" except for maybe in the film days. It's a very polarizing topic honestly. 🙂

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Back in film days, they were promoted heavily in high altitude areas. This was mainly to offset the increased cyan bias caused by the combination of altitude on Extachrome/Fujichorme films. For print films a good lab could usually restore balance if you did not use a UV filter.

As to preventing lens flare, the only way to prevent it is to shade the lens. You can use a hood, your hand, your partners hand, an old floppy hat, a convenient tree, but don't let the sun hit the glass of the front element. That said the multicoatings used on modern lenses do go a long way towards reducing flare. I doubt a filter would be any improvement.

I do believe in lens caps, best accompanied with a loop around the lens and glued to the cap.

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Even the dpreview from 2013 gave both viewpoints..

Hence I won’t buy nor use a UV filter for my RF lens.

Now, buying a polarizer filter is on my bucket list for the walkabout 24-105 f4 L, I had one for my EF lens, it got sold with them.

“Using a polarizer in landscape photography is often advised. And with reason: colors will be enhanced, reflections in water and on the leaves can be removed, and skies can turn deep blue. But it is not advisable to use a polarizer as a standard filter, because there are situations when it can turn against you.”

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Count me in the camp that doesn't use UV-filters on any glass. I don't buy any of the reasons often offered for them. For me, lens hoods provide much better odds in preventing lens damage, and while I think any image degradation of having an extra layer of glass is probably minimal, why add any image degradation? Finally, I don't find a reduce-glare argument compelling.

On the other hand, other filters (polarizing, ND, etc.) certainly have utility.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Years ago I used UV filters on my lenses but as time went on I gradually stopped purchasing one each time I bought a new lens, and eventually removed them from the lenses that already were wearing them. That said, in certain situations such as at a beach, with sand and breezes blowing salty air around, I prefer to put a filter on whatever lenses I am using there as a layer of protection.

I pretty much always use lens hoods, as they do serve a useful purpose when it comes to controlling the light a bit better plus somewhat protecting the lens.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well here’s a quandary..
A polarizer filter on this would ..
Get rid of the water reflection right?

Key is need to both realize & remember there’s times you want reflections, and other times not.

264203625eff46ce36fd68db896e47d4.jpg

“Using a polarizer in landscape photography is often advised. And with reason: colors will be enhanced, reflections in water and on the leaves can be removed, and skies can turn deep blue. “

Reactions: transpo1

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Sure, it makes sense to use a polarizer or an ND filter for specific situations. I think most of us do that from time to time, or may experiment with a specialized filter such as a "star" filter or a filter that distorts the image in some interesting way. That's different than putting a UV-Haze filter on a lens and keeping it on there all or most of the time.

Reactions: arkitect

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’m in the no UV filter camp.

All my lenses have a hood. I always use them. Not only do they protect the lens somewhat but help control the light hitting the glass.
I do use a polariser or ND filters when required. Quality Lee filters.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Feel like it was a bigger concern when using film. I thought most digital cameras have a UV coating applied to their FPA during manufacturing so aesthetically there is no longer a need.

Although I still have UV filters on some lenses just to protect the lens. Much easier and cheaper to replace a UV filter than a scratch lens

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I’m solidly in the UV filter protection camp.

But I don’t skimp on them, and have mostly bought the B&W filters from B&H Photo, which are of extremely good quality.

I do it mainly because I’ve noticed the difference in look in outdoor photography when not using a UV filter, and in order to protect the lens surface from the elements. If you always have a UV filter, you almost never have to clean the actual lens. I don’t believe it degrades image quality much unless you use a cheap model.

I should also point out that there are two types of people in the world, those who like lens flare in photos and those who don’t, and I’m the former, so that’s of no concern for me (and that’s what a lens hood is for anyway). 😉 ☀️

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Not worth it. Zero effect on the image.

Also I don't bother with lens protection either. I literally got sandblasted by volcanic sand at 70mph last year and there's no sign of any damage to the coating on my lens.

DSC_2880.jpeg

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Optical glass used in camera lenses has little to no UV transmission. Using a UV filter to cut out UV light mattered as little in the film days as it does now. This means that there's nothing a UV filter can do to improve image quality. If anyone doubts this, I actually finally have a working UV-VIS spectrophotometer at work now, and I'm happy to throw any lens I have that will physically fit in the beam path of it onto it and show the spectral transmission of a lens without a UV filter(as compared to the transmission of a UV filter).

Back in the film days, "Skylight" filters, which have a faint pink color, were popular and they can take a bit of blue tinge out of your photos. I'm not sure if anyone still makes Skylight filters(if anyone does, it's probably Tiffen) but there's also no shortage of them out there as long as you don't need them in a crazy size(and if you want known quality, since a lot of 70s and 80s filters were junk, Nikon's number is L1A, or L1BC for slightly stronger). I personally like something more along the lines of an 81A or even 81B sometimes for slide film, although that's not an all the time thing either(an L1BC is kind of an 81A "light" so is a great compromise for an all the time slide film lens).

The only practical benefit of a clear, uncolored glass filter has ever had has been to basically be a clear lens cap, or a front element protector.

The comment about "preventing" lens flare and ghosting is complete and utter nonsense. Flare and ghosting are a result of reflections inside a lens. Coatings have done a lot to improve this, but classic lens designs from the days before coatings, like the Triplet(often 3/3, sometimes 3/2), Tessar(4/3) and Sonnar(4/3), all were designed with an eye toward minimizing glass-to-air surfaces. In fact, lenses like the Planar(which is simple as modern lenses go, but as a 6/4 is complicated as older lenses go) didn't come into favor until practical coatings were around despite being a sharper/better resolving design than the Tessar.

Coatings are super advanced now, and 20 elements in a dozen groups are certainly not unheard of. I've quit even keeping track of how many a typical modern zoom has in it. I just looked out of curiosity, and the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8E I use all the time is a 20/16 design. That's for fast mid-range zoom without even a full 3x range.

In any case, throwing a filter on the front of your lens adds an additional glass to air surface, but unlike all the ones filling the body of your lens, its one the designers quite literally have no control over. Yes, the front of the front element is typically still coated, but there are also a lot of uncoated filters out there. In most situations, an uncoated filter will reduce contrast and create the potential for flare and ghosting. High quality coated filters may not have much practical effect, but the potential is still there.

When I bought the 24-70 f/2.8E I mentioned above, I was rather unhappy that it had an 82mm filter thread, as I did not have anything else with a filter thread that big(or at least not something else that doesn't also have a rear filter drawer). Good 82mm filters are expensive, and I did splurge a not small amount for a Nikon-brand polarizer to put on it. I think I lucked out and found a used, like new one at B&H for $175 or so, as I when I bought the lens I think they were around $250 new.

In any case, Amazon sells cheap "UV" filters, and I spent about $15 for an 82mm to stick on the lens. It was awful, and I found myself removing it most of the time-and a lens cap is a whole lot easier to remove than a filter!

These cheap filters have their place-they're great if you're in a dirty location and want something that you don't care about. When I took my X-T5 to the beach this past summer, if I hadn't had a polarizer on it, I'd have considered one of these filters just the ticket. If you want to play 80s wedding photographer and smear vaseline or clear nail polish or whatever else on a filter to make your own soft focus, vignette, etc, they're also a great canvas for that(but someone's old box of Cokin filters is even better for that with a lot of the hard work already done for you, and a lot of camera shops with boxes of those sitting around still might even pay you to get them out of their way).

Otherwise, though, if you insist on using them, first of all remember that a UV filter really is just a clear lens cap. With that in mind, though, if you're going to do it, use a good filter. It doesn't make any sense to me to use Canon L glass, Nikon gold ring/S glass, or whatever other premium glass your brand has(or even less than premium-even cheap lenses are pretty darn good these days) with a filter of questionable optical quality. I'm partial to Nikon filters, especially for polarizers, but they're not only optically excellent with great coatings, but I like the thin mounts. B+W is equally is good. Both of them make truly neutral polarizers and ND filters, something you can't necessarily count on from other brands. Hoya is probably 95% as good as either of those and often 2/3 or half the price for an equivalent filter(although Hoya makes a range of filter qualities-AFAIK Nikon only makes one quality of filter, and B+W has a pretty limited range). Tiffen is good for the oddball stuff no one else makes or that you'll only use occasionally. With all of these, even "UV" filters are expensive enough that you'll probably still want to use a cap and/or hood to protect the filter!

In the distant past, optical flatness was a real concern with cheap filters. Now I don't worry about that, but the name brand filters seem to all be coated these days and a lot of the generic ones aren't. That's a bigger deal to me. Also, this doesn't pertain to UV filters, but at one point maybe 10 years ago I bought a set of cheap yellow/red/orange 67mm filters on Ebay. I had just gotten by Bronica SQ-A and didn't have anything that fit it. I used the red(R60-and yes that's how it was labeled) and something was up with it-it acted a bit like a weak yellow filter with a little graying of the sky, but overall not much difference vs. no filter. R60 is sometimes called the "horror movie" filter since it should render(on panachromatic B&W film) the sky as nearly black but clouds as still bright white(yellow, Y48, is more practical for many uses as it it's a lot more subtle-light gray sky with white clouds, rather than just a featureless white sky with no filter). I gathered up all the R60s or whatever other naming convention I had in different sizes-even some ancient Kodaks in "series" sizes, some older store brand ones, and a few Hoyas, Tiffens, and other decent brands. Proper B&W contrast filters are "cut off" filter, meaning they have a sharp transmission cut-off below a certain wavelength. An R60 filter should only transmit 600nm and longer, and all the "good" ones I had worked this way, albeight with a bit less sharp of a cut-off on some of the cheap filters and one particular Kodak that had probably been used hard. BTW, this is why red filters have such a high filter factor. The Ebay cheapy just had a narrow cut-off band that made it look red to your eyes but didn't do much for the film.

Last thing too since several mentioned this-for lens protection, hoods on the whole are often the better choice. Not only do they give bump protection and keep fingers and such off your front element, but their optical impact ranges from "do nothing at all"(provided the hood doesn't cause vignetting) to "improves contrast." That's quite a different from UV filters, where "does nothing" is the best case scenario.

With all of that said, I do have a few 39mm Leica-brand UV filters on their way to me. I've just spent some money on Leica glass, and some of the lenses I have are notorious for the coatings and/or glass itself being notoriously soft and easy to damage when cleaning. I'll certainly use those with some discretion.

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Camera repairman pointed out to me that most lenses have more than enough glass and coatings to absorb UV light. That was long before digital. That included the ancient 127mm Xenar he was examining at the time. Yep the shutter was bang on, the issues I was having at that time had more to do with film reciprocity failure at slow shutter speeds.

Last edited:

meggie_v

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
I've always used them and will continue to do so. Why?

As a practical concern, the high-quality filter brands I've tried--B+W, Breakthrough--all have coatings that are vastly easier to keep clean that those on the production Canon and Nikon lenses I've used. They're just so much more oleo- and hyrdro-phobic. Dust and gunk and spray and finger prints do not stick to them. (The latest B+W MRC-16 and Breakthrough X4 models, particularly, are just something else in this regard--near miraculous. I'm a very satisfied customer of both.) It's a difference you notice quite a bit if you photograph around the ocean, beach, etc. Regardless of where I've been photographing, I find that keeping the glass showroom-spotless just doesn't involve more than a small bulb-blow, or occasionally a light breathe & brush with a lens pen.

High-quality filter coatings (again: B+W, Breakthrough, etc.) tend to be more durable, too. I don't think this is a case you can make against every lens per se. But many photographers have noticed over the past couple of years that Canon's recent high-end fluorine coatings improved oleophobic qualities at the cost of being less hardy than their predecessors. Google "Canon fluorine coating durability" and take a look. (FWIW, Nikon and Tamron have also introduced oleophobic fluorine coatings, and these seem not to be netting longer-term durability complaints.)

Finally, many lens designs just require a filter to complete weather resistance specs. The manufacturers will explicitly tell you when this is the case (read the manual) and, ya know, ignore them at your peril.

Then there's the other matter: a while back I started to notice that all the photographers I knew who didn't use protection filters had . . . shall we say . . . a rather different idea than I did around what constitutes a "clean" front element. They all talked a big game about lens hoods being all-the-protection-you-need and more-glass-causes-more-flare, but then I actually looked at the lenses they were using and noticed the pattern staring back at me: obviously dirty, obviously scratched-up.

Now, does that matter much? Whatever's on the front element of any lens ends up being far out of focus--so far out that even some obvious grime or outright injury to the glass or coatings usually won't show in your images in most shooting circumstances. How many times have we all seen someone demonstrate that on Youtube?

Where scratches will ding you--and HARD--is in your wallet, whenever you're upgrading and trying to sell your old kit. Since the market is flood-full of pristine used glass (lots of photographers use protection filters, eh?), your resale take will crater accordingly. Mentioning the word "scratch" could cost you 50%. Not mentioning it could cost you even more in headaches if the buyer doesn't appreciate your post-transaction explanation of why the scratches you didn't disclose "don't actually matter."

(OK, let's say I've sold you on the practical reasons for protecting your lens's front element when circumstances warrant it. So should you be using UV or just coated neutral-clear filters to do it? I've always used UV because (a) I use some of my lenses on film bodies, too, and (b) I use some of my lenses on DSLRs, where that's my eye at the end of the through-the-lens optical viewfinder. Taking UV frequencies out of light projected into my eye? Yep, I want that. If I were shooting a mirrorless body only, however, I might just as well go with coated neutral-clears.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

As a practical concern, the high-quality filter brands I've tried--B+W, Breakthrough--all have coatings that are vastly easier to keep clean that those on the production Canon and Nikon lenses I've used. They're just so much more oleo- and hyrdro-phobic. Dust and gunk and spray and finger prints do not stick to them. (The latest B+W MRC-16 and Breakthrough X4 models, particularly, are just something else in this regard--near miraculous. I'm a very satisfied customer of both.) It's a difference you notice quite a bit if you photograph around the ocean, beach, etc. Regardless of where I've been photographing, I find that keeping the glass showroom-spotless just doesn't involve more than a small bulb-blow, or occasionally a light breathe & brush with a lens pen.

High-quality filter coatings (again: B+W, Breakthrough, etc.) tend to be more durable, too. I don't think this is a case you can make against every lens per se. But many photographers have noticed over the past couple of years that Canon's recent high-end fluorine coatings improved oleophobic qualities at the cost of being less hardy than their predecessors. Google "Canon fluorine coating durability" and take a look. (FWIW, Nikon and Tamron have also introduced oleophobic fluorine coatings, and these seem not to be netting longer-term durability complaints.)

Finally, many lens designs just require a filter to complete weather resistance specs. The manufacturers will explicitly tell you when this is the case (read the manual) and, ya know, ignore them at your peril.

Then there's the other matter: a while back I started to notice that all the photographers I knew who didn't use protection filters had . . . shall we say . . . a rather different idea than I did around what constitutes a "clean" front element. They all talked a big game about lens hoods being all-the-protection-you-need and more-glass-causes-more-flare, but then I actually looked at the lenses they were using and noticed the pattern staring back at me: obviously dirty, obviously scratched-up.

Now, does that matter much? Whatever's on the front element of any lens ends up being far out of focus--so far out that even some obvious grime or outright injury to the glass or coatings usually won't show in your images in most shooting circumstances. How many times have we all seen someone demonstrate that on Youtube?

Where scratches will ding you--and HARD--is in your wallet, whenever you're upgrading and trying to sell your old kit. Since the market is flood-full of pristine used glass (lots of photographers use protection filters, eh?), your resale take will crater accordingly. Mentioning the word "scratch" could cost you 50%. Not mentioning it could cost you even more in headaches if the buyer doesn't appreciate your post-transaction explanation of why the scratches you didn't disclose "don't actually matter."

(OK, let's say I've sold you on the practical reasons for protecting your lens's front element when circumstances warrant it. So should you be using UV or just coated neutral-clear filters to do it? I've always used UV because (a) I use some of my lenses on film bodies, too, and (b) I use some of my lenses on DSLRs, where that's my eye at the end of the through-the-lens optical viewfinder. Taking UV frequencies out of light projected into my eye? Yep, I want that. If I were shooting a mirrorless body only, however, I might just as well go with coated neutral-clears.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don’t think you’ve sold anyone. Not one of my 7 lenses has a mark on the front and some of them are well over 10 years old.

Reactions: arkitect and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve got only ever heard of one lens needing a filter for weather sealing and that’s the one on the Fuji X100 series. I shoot Nikon, Fuji GFX, have shot Canon, and for no other lens ever have I read about needing to add a filter.

I have lenses that are 15 years old and in pristine condition because I use a hood when shooting and keep a cap on when I’m not using them.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Interesting, but not sold. :) I use filters to alter light coming through the lens only when I need it, such as ND filters or color filters for black and white. I've never been sold on the UV-filter as a protection element. Most of my lenses don't qualify as weather-sealed anyway, with or without such a filter.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
For me, there's no one answer. I buy high quality filters for most of my glass, then hardly use them 😂 I will put them on if I'm going to be around blowing sand or salt sea spray, etc., more for ease of cleaning than for protecting the front element.

Most of the time I leave the filters off, though.

Aside from that I have ND filters (completely different usage) and a couple other specialty filters that I would use on occasion.

meggie_v

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
@mollyc : I’ve got only ever heard of one lens needing a filter for weather sealing and that’s the one on the Fuji X100 series. I shoot Nikon, Fuji GFX, have shot Canon, and for no other lens ever have I read about needing to add a filter.

It's not unusual for Canon L-series lenses to require a protection filter for fulfillment of manufacturer-guaranteed weather-resistance specs. Two pretty common, non-exotic examples that come to mind where Canon tells you, explicitly, to use one: the EF 16-35mm f/4L IS zoom and the RF 50mm f/1.2L prime.

Just to put a point on this, Canon's language is not equivocal in either case. In the 16-35/4 zoom's manual:

You need to attach a filter for adequate dust- and water-resistant performance. Without a filter, the lens is not dust- or water-resistant.

And in the "handling precautions" section of the 50/1.2 prime's manual:

This lens needs to have filters attached to achieve its dust-resistance and water-resistance performance.

There's more Canon L glass in this category, both EF and RF, zooms and primes, but those are two for which I happened to have the manuals in arm's reach and could quickly verify the printed word.

Here, have a look for yourself:

EF 16-35mm f/4L IS: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/94146.pdf

RF 50mm f/1.2L: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/524710.pdf

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Where scratches will ding you--and HARD--is in your wallet, whenever you're upgrading and trying to sell your old kit.

I’ve never been swayed by the idea I should buy high quality equipment and then degrade the performance and experience for myself so that it’s better for the next person…

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I've been using cameras for more than 50 years. Owned a number of lenses. Never once have I scratched or dinged a front element. When not in use I use a front lens cap when the lens is on the camera, front and back when off camera.

I've owned three waterproof cameras which have spent countless hours riding around in the pocket of my life preserver. Two of them with almost zero lens protection. Both of those cameras are no longer in use but that has nothing to do with lens damage, there is none. The current Olympus TG-6 has a lens cap, but its value is making sure there are no waterdrops on the lens when it comes time to take a picture. A droplet on a filter would degrade the image as badly as a drop directly on the lens.

Long story short, lenses are incredibly tough and as long as you are gentle when it comes time to clean them, the odds of damaging them are incredibly low.

The original 50mm ƒ-2 Nikkor lens on my first Nikormat is in sad shape, because there is internal de-lamination between two elements. Even so it continued to serve as an incredibly sharp enlarger lens, until I retired the old D2 enlarger in 1995.

meggie_v

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
I’ve never been swayed by the idea I should buy high quality equipment and then degrade the performance and experience for myself so that it’s better for the next person…

"Degrade the performance."

HA!

Use a high quality filter, you'd be shooting through Schott B270 ground glass and the most advanced nano-particle coatings known to mankind, not the bottom of a coke bottle.

At any given shoot moment, your camera system's performance would be more "degraded" in vastly more significant ways by factors you wouldn't even think about considering. Like . . . the relative humidity of the air you're looking through. Or the minute temperature-related expansion-contraction of parts in your camera screwing with focal plane calibration. Or the capacitors on your camera's ADC circuits landing an occaional pulse frequency ever-so-slightly off their RMS spec.

There's a point at which you can lose sight of the forest for the trees, friend. Which is not good in photography!

Take it easy!

Reactions: cogzero

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
"Degrade the performance."

HA!

Use a high quality filter, you'd be shooting through Schott B270 ground glass and the most advanced nano-particle coatings known to mankind, not the bottom of a coke bottle.

Then why don't the lens makers provide that piece of glass at the front as standard issue? Why not stack 4 in front?

The answer is because every piece of glass, if it does not serve a purpose in the optical design of the system, degrades the optical performance. When I want to add a polarizer or ND filter, it's an extra step to remove the protective UV filter, store it, and add the functional filter. The difference between the top tier lenses and the second tier costs a lot of money for small benefits, I don't see a reason to lose any of that small benefit just so the next person can have it.

At any given shoot moment, your camera system's performance would be more "degraded" in vastly more significant ways by factors you wouldn't even think about considering. Like . . . the relative humidity of the air you're looking through. Or the minute temperature-related expansion-contraction of parts in your camera screwing with focal plane calibration. Or the capacitors on your camera's ADC circuits landing an occaional pulse frequency ever-so-slightly off their RMS spec.

"There's lots of sources of error" isn't a reason to just add more.

I didn't mean my comment as a judgement on your choices, only as an alternate point of view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.