Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Funny how much I could give a crap. So what do you win? Aaaah heck, I'll give you a high five!

But jeez, I have been wrong before. I remember that whole debacle with video iPods that I was so animate that were never going to happen. Or what about the 17" Powerbook, boy... blind sided me on that one.
I'm not one to gloat BUT, you acted as if it were FACT, like you were the man. I hate it when people say things as fact when it is just conjecture. This is the only reason why I remember you and your post.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
8800 will not fit in the current case..
I think he was being sarcastic - look at the rest of his list. Honestly, I think many of us feel the same way with the whining threads.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Are you? *Base Model*

- No blu-ray
- 3mb L2 Cache what the ****?
- No Case Redesign
- 8600 Nvidia again
- no new latch

I'm not dissapointed, it's a pretty significant update.

-BR couldn't really be expected, the Mac Pros will get it first for sure
-3MB cache, whatever, the processors are faster (plus it was intel's choice)
-8600- this is pretty much the newest card isn't it? and doubling the memory is pretty sweet, and no one was even predicting that
-case, keyboard, latch- these 3 things will all come as a package on an entirely new MacBook Pro that, IMO, we won't see until, at least, next year

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
This is the only reason why I remember you and your post.

Oh come on now, you can't say it was my stunning good looks too? Maybe just a little??? I am used to being right, when I'm wrong it is like the Sun being eclipsed by the moon. The actual event of me being wrong often makes it rain :(
Go hate Bush, don't hate me.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I too would think a Blu Ray drive would be great, but I don't see it becoming standard for a couple of years. I can certainly see it being an option very soon, but really doubt Apple would slap something that costs a couple hundred dollars that you KNOW not everyone would use.

Let's compare it to the Apple remote...

Not everyone uses it, but it costs apple money (probably like $1 max), so they cut it out, haha. I'm mainly using the example as a joke, but it still makes the point.

saule cogneur

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
The update was exactly what I expected, so I'm not disappointed. I am a bit sad however.

The T9300 in the base model would have been nice as would have been the mag latch, MB keyboard, and the new MBA mag-safe adapter. I know of very few laptops that offer a 1680*1050 res screen on a 15.4", so no shock there.

Jobs wants our money; that's the bottom line. He's going to do everything possible to encourage us to buy the $2500 model over the others. That also means he has no reason to put LED's and the new trackpad in the MB's. They need to look as unappealing as possible despite being the best deal MAC offers.

Oh well. I'm still going to buy the low end MBP.

Bigewilson

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2007
I've been disappointed

Got a new Mbp back in jan. Its indestructible but not really faster than my old old g4 desktop. I wanted to send it back when it was too dumb to figure out the correct time but it was custom. However, getting what you paid for is seldom a virtue of any product these days.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I'm not disappointed as I wasn't going to buy one anyway, but I will say this:

- Both the MacBook Pro and MacBook cases look very stale. The MacBook changed quite a bit in form factor from the old iBooks (widescreen, new keyboard) but the MacBook Pro has been chugging along in pretty much the same case since 2003.

Hopefully this Summer/Fall we'll get all new cases for both lines. The Air has given us a tantalising glimpse of the future. I also think Apple should expand the choice of colours on the MacBook and offer a black/gun metal Pro model.

MooCow

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2007
Oh come on now, you can't say it was my stunning good looks too? Maybe just a little??? I am used to being right, when I'm wrong it is like the Sun being eclipsed by the moon. The actual event of me being wrong often makes it rain :(
Go hate Bush, don't hate me.

bahahahahahaha :rolleyes:

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
Not too bad, actually. Had hoped for an updated form factor, but the base specs are nice. The whole Blu-Ray thing doesn't do anything for me, so I don't particularly care.

I'll probably not buy it, but not disappointed.

dmb3886

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
im getting the base model with 7200 rpm HD, my only disappointment is that we did not see the penyrn, for my model, with the 6 mb l2 cache with 2.5 ghz proccessor which we SHOULD have had. Then the other pros could get the other 2 higher penyrns

I AM PISSED, at however - that the blackbooks have the same processor and same superdrive, with a larger hd

that makes be cringe

calabi

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
i just got the base model with the 7200rpm drive! i'm so chuffed, well worth the wait :)

and to all those people complaining, switch to pc and then see how much you complain.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Got a new Mbp back in jan. Its indestructible but not really faster than my old old g4 desktop. I wanted to send it back when it was too dumb to figure out the correct time but it was custom. However, getting what you paid for is seldom a virtue of any product these days.

This struck me as odd. The MBP destroys any and every G4 machine.... ever. Surfing the web and doing email will never seem faster, but anything that is even remotely processor intensive will fly compared to the G4.

Or, you got a lemon.

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm using mine now, and I love it.
No regrets! Only $1918 after tax with my Edu discount! The store was shocked that I was already there ready to buy. "How did you know this was coming out before I did?" HAHA! :D

Czechmac

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
London, UK
I am not disappointed at all. What I expected was the Penryn processor and multitouch pad. The raise in graphics memory is nice as well. For people who say that they are disappointed that there is no graphics upgrade:

There are no new solutions from Ati or Nvidia available at the moment. Sure, they could put 8800M GTX in there, but if you search the internet, you will see that this graphics card needs some serious cooling, which would raise the size and weight of the laptop significantly and would ruin what I love about MBPs, how relativly thin they are compared to other companies.

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Jeez, why is everyone moaning?? Blu-ray? Are you having a laugh? Apple have not long been able to get a thin enough Dual Layer DVD burner in their machines never mind a DVD-RW/Blu-ray Combo drive!

The updates seem fine to me, more of everything HD space, CPU speed, VRAM etc, plus the Multi-touch, all at the same price, can't be that bad.

This was never going to be a complete overhaul anyway, I'd say that will be in September.

dueweke1697

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
oh you guys

hehe

i love watching people wait for their dream mpbs to come out and now they are stuck with this mediocre update:D

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
England
It's a shame they didn't offer a decent 300gb drive. Who on earth uses 4200rpm drives????

And why not offer that in the 15" model?

tirant

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Update? Hahaha more like a downgrade... They removed things like the Apple Remote...

AirmanPika

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Vandenberg AFB, CA
I was more relieved than anything else. I was HOPING for a nice redesign, better res screens, and a few other things. Problem was I decided to get an IBM for $1500 that utterly destroys a fully loaded MBP spec wise last week and didn't wanna look stupid. I'm hoping for a nice design update when Montevina is released. Maybe a WWDC release time.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
The design, while still nice, has become stale. Its been 5 years, something new should've been out by now.

Feature-wise, I think its fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.