Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you keeping always on display on?

• Keeping it on

Votes: 147 48.5%
  • Turned it off

Votes: 156 51.5%

• Total voters

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Coming from an 11 pro, so this is a new feature to me. I think I kind of like the always on display, but am I suffering from huge battery drain? Have people turned it off and having battery battery life ?

Reactions: Tsepz and Zayway86

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I have to say we would have heard about burn in by now so leaving it on may not be a problem.

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
I have to say we would have heard about burn in by now so leaving it on may not be a problem.
My 13PM got screen burn from a non always on display. It’s basically the same panel so I’d be stunned if the always on didn’t leave some sort of burn or retention over time. It’s off for me.

jfim88

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Spain
I like AOD, but I have it off to preserve battery life and because I’m not sure if it’ll cause burn in

Ariel32

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I have had always on display for a few years now on Android phones and I can’t really be without it (well, I can, but why?!). I don’t think it has any impact on screen. My Samsung S20 FE’s screen is still as bright as it was 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Soybomb

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2019
There's zero retention on my 4 year old always-on watch. I'm going to leave it on and see if I eventually find it helpful, initially it's distracting as I'm not used to seeing it on.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Love always on display, especially live activities for sporting events, etc. Must have for me, Pro Max has very good battery life, so I just don't worry about it.

Reactions: Student of Life

Lex404

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US)
I had AOD on another phone many years ago and loved it. 15 will be my first iPhone with AOD, and probably it will stay on.

Burn in shouldn't appear because the brightness is low and the pixels shift so it will not always use the same pixels.

Also, not expecting a huge battery drain difference, again, brightness is low on AOD and the pixel count is also low.

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
I’m nearing the end of a 12 hr shift at work at the hospital.

1 more hour to go, I’m at 39%, with AOD on.

Been using it quite a bit.

Reactions: sack_peak

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I’m nearing the end of a 12 hr shift at work at the hospital.

1 more hour to go, I’m at 39%, with AOD on.

Been using it quite a bit.
How do you like or dislike your 15 Pro Max over your 11 Pro Max?

Asking for a friend who is mulling an upgrade.

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
One thousand percent worth it

My phone was on its last legs. Probably my own fault, it wasn’t in the greatest condition physically, but even software wise it was super laggy, took many seconds going to different chats in WhatsApp for example, lots of noticeable lag when typing.

It feels like night and day difference. The camera is so much better (not like I am some kind of photographer or anything, but makes up for my amateurish skill) and the sound is much louder so that’s great. The 120hz display makes me feel like I am browsing MacRumors in an F1 car, lol.

I think it’s a perfect upgrade from an 11 pro max. I am also glad I waited 4 years, the conglomeration of upgrades over this time makes this feel truly substantial.

I think 4 years is a good time to wait between upgrades for pro max models.

Andy_in_Colorado

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
I had mine on the first 36 hours but turned it off earlier today. It's probably more a me issue than a phone issue but I kept thinking I was getting notifications when I noticed the display wasn't off and it was driving me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.