Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Those videos are pretty good. I'm going to keep an eye on BlackBerry and see how the app situation goes. I've been on Windows Phone almost two years and I'm not sure I want to endure another fledgling platform.

Same here, I'm waiting for either more apps to be developed or the Android emulation to get better.

How is the new sense awful?

Have you actually used it or just basing this opinion on video footage, because I like many who actually have the device (including most reviewers) find it very good. It very much sounds like a case of "I don't like the look of that - so it must be awful" mentality...

Sense 5 is very slimmed down and the changes HTC have made to calendar / music / messages / phone and such are actually much improved over stock android experience, and even the keyboard is excellent on sense 5 - and yes as good as swift key.

Sense 5 is the lightest / clearly most optimised version of sense, it's always smooth and fluid, there is no trace of lag and no unnecessary animations between app drawer, launching apps etc.. Memory management is a thing of the past, and multitasking works beautifully on the device.

As I said a few posts above, I have indeed used the HTC One, it's in all the shops in the UK already. I found it to be crap. The software is just a half-assed clone of Sony's social flow or whatever they called it. And why oh why are the icons spaced out so there's only three in each row? It makes no sense.

It's smooth and there wasn't any lag, so it has that going for it, but would I actually buy one of these things? Hell to the no. Of course you'll be able to install ROMs on it but if I'm going to do that there's better handsets for the job.

There is a very good reason HTC is failing. It's not due to lack of marketing - they have commercials running all the time over here - but because the phones they make are just crap compared to the competition.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Same here, I'm waiting for either more apps to be developed or the Android emulation to get better.

As I said a few posts above, I have indeed used the HTC One, it's in all the shops in the UK already. I found it to be crap. The software is just a half-assed clone of Sony's social flow or whatever they called it. And why oh why are the icons spaced out so there's only three in each row? It makes no sense.

5 minutes in a shop and your an expert.... I see.

If you'd actually had used it properly you would know that you can change grid spacing to 4x5.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
5 minutes in a shop and your an expert.... I see.

If you'd actually had used it properly you would know that you can change grid spacing to 4x5.

What do you expect me to do, buy one so I can use it for a few weeks?

Most perspective customers will base their purchase decision on exactly what I did and very few of them will choose to buy this thing.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Most perspective customers will base their purchase decision on exactly what I did and very few of them will choose to buy this thing.

Few weeks. The setting is there in front of your face. It took me less than 20 seconds to change! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The point being your post saying it's crap is hardly an educated opinion of someone who who has actually used the device properly, or for any length of time to appreciate its nuances and where optimisations have really gone into play.

I used a dummy S4 in the phone shop the other day. I could post "It sucks! The interface is totally unresponsive!!!" That's almost the same level of your educated opinion of a device.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I was, but HTC doesn't support their products after launch like Apple does. And iOS still does quite a few things better in my opinion. The One is mighty nice though.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

It took me well over a month to appreciate iOS. If I would have just used it in a shop for a few minutes even hours I would have thought it was total crap.

Now its my preferred mobile OS.

Point being it would have been pretty closed minded for me to only give it a few minutes the condemn it. Even an OS as simplified as iOS has a learning curve that no one could pick up for the first time and master it in minutes.

I could see if you picked it up and said it was too big or didn't like the design, obvious things. But it seems like you assumed that it was iOS (incapable of modifying the simplest of things) and thought it was bad.

Let me ask you. Do you think the iPad makes sense? There's A LOT more wasted space on that screen and impossible to modify (albeit without JB).

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Few weeks. The setting is there in front of your face. It took me less than 20 seconds to change! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The point being your post saying it's crap is hardly an educated opinion of someone who who has actually used the device properly.

I used a dummy S4 in the phone shop. I could post " It sucks! The interface is totally unresponsive!!! " That's almost the level of your educated opinion.

You are missing my point entirely. I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I commenting on the placement of settings.

Say I'm in the market for a new phone, I've been offered an upgrade on my contract and I walk into the shop to look at what's on offer. I've been told the two best new phones out are the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the HTC One, so I use both of them.

Now as a potential buyer for these phones, am I going to spend hours going through every menu or am I going to use it for a few minutes and base my purchase decision on whatever my impression is?

Think about it, most people don't use these things for ages and do a bunch of research, they choose the one they like the best in store. And what I'm saying is that the interface for the HTC One is terrible and it will be unappealing to most customers. Where am I getting this information from? HTC's own profit figures, which have been in sharp decline over the past year and that's a trend that's only continuing. Compared to early 2012, their profit is down over 90%. Last quarter, BlackBerry actually made more profit than HTC despite the fact most of the phones they're selling are still BB7 devices! There are literally more customers for BlackBerry Bolds than there are for anything HTC is putting out right now.

So yes, in my "uneducated" opinion, I think this phone is doomed to failure.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You are missing my point entirely. I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I commenting on the placement of settings.

Say I'm in the market for a new phone, I've been offered an upgrade on my contract and I walk into the shop to look at what's on offer. I've been told the two best new phones out are the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the HTC One, so I use both of them.

Now as a potential buyer for these phones, am I going to spend hours going through every menu or am I going to use it for a few minutes and base my purchase decision on whatever my impression is?

Think about it, most people don't use these things for ages and do a bunch of research, they choose the one they like the best in store. And what I'm saying is that the interface for the HTC One is terrible and it will be unappealing to most customers. Where am I getting this information from? HTC's own profit figures, which have been in sharp decline over the past year and that's a trend that's only continuing. Compared to early 2012, their profit is down over 90%. Last quarter, BlackBerry actually made more profit than HTC despite the fact most of the phones they're selling are still BB7 devices! There are literally more customers for BlackBerry Bolds than there are for anything HTC is putting out right now.

So yes, in my "uneducated" opinion, I think this phone is doomed to failure.

I would say, using your example, it would likely come down more to the "looks" of the phone than anything else if first impressions are all you'll base it off of.

Personally, I don't find your post idiotic because you only spent a few minutes with the thing (I recognize your example and most of the buying public will likely buy whatever their kid or the salesperson recommends anyways), I find it idiotic that you can say with certainty that the phone sucks and is crap and that MOST people won't buy it.....

If you had added "for me" to the end of your sentences and come up with the conclusion that, given your preferences, it simply isn't the phone for you, you would've looked a lot less arrogant and idiotic.

Oh and the reason HTC's profits are so terrible this quarter is because they haven't put ANYTHING out yet....so congrats to BB. Their phones are selling more than nothing.....

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I would say, using your example, it would likely come down more to the "looks" of the phone than anything else if first impressions are all you'll base it off of.

Personally, I don't find your post idiotic because you only spent a few minutes with the thing (I recognize your example and most of the buying public will likely buy whatever their kid or the salesperson recommends anyways), I find it idiotic that you can say with certainty that the phone sucks and is crap and that MOST people won't buy it.....

If you had added "for me" to the end of your sentences and come up with the conclusion that, given your preferences, it simply isn't the phone for you, you would've looked a lot less arrogant and idiotic.

I'm basing the assumption that most people won't buy it on HTC's current market position. They're literally doing worse than BlackBerry. Clearly people don't like their phones anymore.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm basing the assumption that most people won't buy it on HTC's current market position. They're literally doing worse than BlackBerry. Clearly people don't like their phones anymore.

Read my edited post.....you're basing that logic off a quarter in which BB released new BB10 devices and HTC released nothing.....

As I said, congrats to BB for outselling nothing.

I tried out the Z10 at a Best Buy mobile shop. Pretty interesting device, though the build quality was terrible - it was popped open on the side so I snapped it shut....felt like it wasn't even a real phone.

The interface was interesting, I liked the multitasking implementation and the gestures, but other than that, the UI was too "business" for me (which I know is what they go for) and if you hate the iPhone for its lack of customization, I figure you'll likely hate BB10 for the same reason.....also not nearly as responsive as iOS or even JB 4.2.2 for that matter.

But I only used the thing for 10 minutes - personally wouldn't base my buying decision off that time.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Read my edited post.....you're basing that logic off a quarter in which BB released new BB10 devices and HTC released nothing.....

As I said, congrats to BB for outselling nothing.

I tried out the Z10 at a Best Buy mobile shop. Pretty interesting device, though the build quality was terrible - it was popped open on the side so I snapped it shut....felt like it wasn't even a real phone.

The interface was interesting, I liked the multitasking implementation and the gestures, but other than that, the UI was too "business" for me (which I know is what they go for) and if you hate the iPhone for its lack of customization, I figure you'll likely hate BB10 for the same reason.....also not nearly as responsive as iOS or even JB 4.2.2 for that matter.

But I only used the thing for 10 minutes - personally wouldn't base my buying decision off that time.

BlackBerry only sold a million Z10's, the bulk of those sales and the source of most of those profits was actually their old phones based off BlackBerry OS 5, 6, and 7. Even without the Z10 they still would have outsold HTC.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
BlackBerry only sold a million Z10's, the bulk of those sales and the source of most of those profits was actually their old phones based off BlackBerry OS 5, 6, and 7. Even without the Z10 they still would have outsold HTC.

Source? I can't seem to find a global marketshare report for Q1 2013.....only US which has HTC in third and doesn't even list BB (although the Z10 only came here a few weeks ago).

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Source? I can't seem to find a global marketshare report for Q1 2013.....only US which has HTC in third and doesn't even list BB (although the Z10 only came here a few weeks ago).

Sure thing:

Sales of older generation BlackBerrys drifted down to 5m, from 6.9m last quarter

So, as you'd expect, sales for those old devices are falling, but they sold a lot more of them than Z10's and made a better profit than HTC. Which just goes to show how bad HTC's situation is, eh?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Sure thing:

So, as you'd expect, sales for those old devices are falling, but they sold a lot more of them than Z10's and made a better profit than HTC. Which just goes to show how bad HTC's situation is, eh?

Perhaps.....

Though I still stand by the fact the One was delayed plays a big role in those terrible numbers - sales are always bad before a release....combine that with the fact that the release never happened (that quarter) and you're bound to be headed for "disaster".

Also, those who are "hardcore crackberry" users don't have any alternative when a new Blackberry wasn't released - HTC loses potential buyers to other Android OEMs. This would also inflate Blackberry's sales numbers a tad.

HTC still owns a larger portion of market share than BB does (at least here in the US, neither are in the top 5 worldwide so I'm having a hard time finding any numbers) and when the One actually IS available, I'd be willing to bet a HUGE quarter for HTC.

And if not, well as long as the phone works for me, I really don't care if anyone else thinks its a good phone. I hope, though, people will at least give it a chance. And that HTC markets the thing properly in order to give it a chance as well - I don't think Samsung slammed the door like they could have with the GS4 release....

Plus, who buys their cellphones based on earnings reports???

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Perhaps.....

Though I still stand by the fact the One was delayed plays a big role in those terrible numbers - sales are always bad before a release....combine that with the fact that the release never happened (that quarter) and you're bound to be headed for "disaster".

HTC still owns a larger portion of market share than BB does (at least here in the US, neither are in the top 5 worldwide so I'm having a hard time finding any numbers) and when the One actually IS available, I'd be willing to be a HUGE quarter for HTC.

Plus, who buys their cellphones based on earnings reports???

The One is delayed in the US. It's already out here and there's a big marketing campaign on TV for it too. They still don't seem to be selling many. Of course you're right things could turn around when it's released in the US, but considering HTC's profit has been plummeting all of last year I don't think this is a short term issue personally. But we'll see.

People don't buy phones based on earnings reports, but rather, the earnings reports reflect who buys the phones ;)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The One is delayed in the US. It's already out here and there's a big marketing campaign on TV for it too. They still don't seem to be selling many. Of course you're right things could turn around when it's released in the US, but considering HTC's profit has been plummeting all of last year I don't think this is a short term issue personally. But we'll see.

People don't buy phones based on earnings reports, but rather, the earnings reports reflect who buys the phones ;)

And its tough for people to buy phones, when they expected something new that hasn't arrived ;)

Given the US is the largest market in the world (and HTC still holds a roughly 9% market share here) I'll bet they'll see a nice rise in a few weeks.

Heck, between the One and T-Mobile's new uncarrier stuff, it's pre-orders are already sold out at T-Mobile.

I'd just like to see another OEM jump into the Samsung/Apple mix. I think BB has done some interesting things with the Z10, but I think they are playing to a niche crowd and won't achieve the same widespread success they once saw.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
And its tough for people to buy phones, when they expected something new that hasn't arrived ;)

Given the US is the largest market in the world (and HTC still holds a roughly 9% market share here) I'll bet they'll see a nice rise in a few weeks.

Heck, between the One and T-Mobile's new uncarrier stuff, it's pre-orders are already sold out at T-Mobile.

I'd just like to see another OEM jump into the Samsung/Apple mix. I think BB has done some interesting things with the Z10, but I think they are playing to a niche crowd and won't achieve the same widespread success they once saw.

That's all fair enough, we'll just have to see. I absolutely agree that the more competition the better but I'm trying to be realistic and not let emotions affect my opinion is all.

I think the BB10 has a nice chance of capturing a more mainstream audience with devices like the Z10 as long as developers make apps for it. The Q10 is more niche for sure, but there's still a market for it out there that no one else is even trying to capture, so I think if they keep going at this rate they might have a place in the market for the foreseeable future, although I do agree they are unlikely to be as big as they once were any time soon.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I thought you were keeping an open mind. You sound to me like you have made your mind up about sense already, which is far from keeping an open mind ;)

Keep an open mind about the device itself because, as you know already, there are a few things I dislike about it, beautiful though it may be.

Sense has always been a turn off, especially the forced BlinkFeed page. From the very onset when I was seriously considering the One, Sense was likely going to go.

I mean, I'll use it for a bit, but I rather put a stock-looking (or flash real stock) Android on it.

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
1. it looks like you prefer expandable storage yet you are using iphone 4s with non-expandable storage. tmobile htc one offers 32gb. not enough?

2. 4.1 is fairly recent. at this point in time, i dont think htc had enough time to test out 4.2. but i'm willing to bet it will get 4.2 and the upcoming lime pie.

3. wow!!! really? changing a launcher literally takes less than a minute. just choose what you like from the market if you don't like the default one.

I have a 64GB 4S, why would I downgrade? HTC is notorious for not updating phones on schedule if at all. Changing the launcher makes some of the Sense components unavailable that I might want to use. I know what I want in a phone and what my personal preferences are if I choose to go back to Android. I swear I need to be handcuffed when I visit this forum.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Maybe. I am concerned about battery life coming from the iPhone 5, though. Anyone else? (from Anandtech)
hepubava.jpg

azyrasu7.jpg

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Maybe. I am concerned about battery life coming from the iPhone 5, though. Anyone else? (from Anandtech)

There is no way those stats are right. I have the iPhone 5 and note 2, and the iPhone 5 comes no where near the note 2 in battery life.

With that said the HTC One will for sure be a drop from the iphone 5. If the S4 is anything Luke the note 2 on the software side, it will have some things to help control the battery. Still though the stand by on the iPhone is by far one of the best.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
There is no way those stats are right. I have the iPhone 5 and note 2, and the iPhone 5 comes no where near the note 2 in battery life.

It's true. Notice how iPhone 5 is listed twice in the browser battery test? The lower score is the "real life" score and the one listed as LTE is some freak accident is some freak accident that is not representative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.