Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy-ch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Beeze Shehu Makom Baolam
Hi, I would like to ask..
Is MacPro with Bootcamp v1.2 compatible?

Because when I installed Windows on my MacPro (using BootCamp v1.2 + Apple Bootcamp Drivers installed) my Windows suddenly hang, even I re-installed Windows and still the same.

I think this is caused by a Hardware/Driver Conflict, because when I right-clicked My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager.

There's few hardware that is not detected properly, and has no driver installed properly.

This problem is not happening on my 17" C2D MBP & 24" C2D iMac, only with my MacPro.

Anyone here has the solution/idea/encountering the same problem?

Please share here, Thank you.

savesteve

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2007
Fremont, CA
Hi Andy,

I actually just installed bootcamp last weekend. Apart from a wierd issue with my Dual monitor setup on my Mac Pro, it seems to have went smooth as glass.

So a couple things to look at:

-Bootcamp does require Windows XP with SP2. Are you using a Windows XP CD that includes SP2? Since you've got it running on a couple other Macs you probly do.

-Since my Mac doesn't have the stock 7300GT it might be an issue with the video drivers?

-Maybe try to give Windows Update a shot and get all the latest and greatest patches and updates installed, then try running the Apple driver CD again to put fresh drivers on.

From the top of my head Andy that's all I've got. What I can tell you is that my Mac Pro also had 2 things that the Driver disk apparently didn't have the driver for. (Not sitting in front of my Mac atm I can't remember what they were) It didn't seem to be anything important as everything was working for me.

Does the hanging start once you install the drivers? or does it do it anytime you're in Windows?

PianoPete

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
I just ordered a Mac Pro and i want to get windows for games. Good to know I need windows XP with SP2 because I probably would have purchased Vista. Do i need the pro version or will the home version do?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I just ordered a Mac Pro and i want to get windows for games. Good to know I need windows XP with SP2 because I probably would have purchased Vista. Do i need the pro version or will the home version do?

Bootcamp 1.2 is compatible with Vista. In fact it was always possible to install Vista using Bootcamp given a bit of tinkering.

PianoPete

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
Bootcamp 1.2 is compatible with Vista. In fact it was always possible to install Vista using Bootcamp given a bit of tinkering.

Thanks. I am not much of a 'tinkerer'. As a matter of fact I have never used windows and know nothing about it. Hope it isn't too hard to run games as that is all I will use it for.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
Thanks. I am not much of a 'tinkerer'. As a matter of fact I have never used windows and know nothing about it. Hope it isn't too hard to run games as that is all I will use it for.

Should not take you more than an hour to get up and running with Windows. Just make sure to use either XP SP2 or Vista 32bit edition for ease of installation if you don't want to tinker with things.

PianoPete

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
Should not take you more than an hour to get up and running with Windows. Just make sure to use either XP SP2 or Vista 32bit edition for ease of installation if you don't want to tinker with things.

Great. Thanks again for the info. Is vista better for games or will XP do?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006

Depends, if you need to buy a copy of Windows and just need to decide which one I would personally go for Vista myself as that way you can guarentee you won't need to upgrade it for at least five years :)D). But Vista still has a few issues, nothing major but it might not be as easy as using XP SP2.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

I have 3 SATA drives in my daughter's MacPro with XP & Vista installed on separate drives. The games we have work great under either OS. My daughter prefers the look and feel of Vista (she's 11) but spends most of her non gaming time in OS X.

3D games we tested on a MP 2.66 with ATI are:

Company of Heroes
LOTR BFME2
LOTR BFME2 ROTWK

Frame rates on Company of Heroes slightly less under Vista.

Cheers,

savesteve

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2007
Fremont, CA

Yeah hehe sorry, didn't mean to imply that Vista wasn't supported, just that if you're using XP, it has to be SP2 :)

For XP Home vs Pro, if you're just going to use it for gaming, there's nothing wrong with Home and you'll save some $$$.

andy-ch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Beeze Shehu Makom Baolam
I'm using Windows XP SP2,
Anyone here tried to install MacPro (Standard-configuration) and encountering the same problem with mine?

Btw, I tried to install Vista Ultimate and the result is even worst, VGA Undetected & there is no driver compatible :(

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Baltimore, MD
Actually, Home isn't the best option b/c it doesn't support multi-chip systems (while it will support multicore). If you want all four of your cores supported, go XP Pro.

andy-ch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Beeze Shehu Makom Baolam
If I had created Bootcamp Driver CD on iMac already, when I want to install Bootcamp at my MacPro, do I have to re-create the Bootcamp Driver CD at MacPro too?
Are they different? (I mean the Driver CD)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.