Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
iPad 1: Basically a prototype, bad buy
iPad 2: Much more powerful, lasted a long time, good buy
iPad 3: Too weak to drive the retina screen, bad buy
iPad 4: Plenty of power to drive the retina screen, good buy
iPad Air: 64 Bit but 1 GB of RAM, bad buy
iPad Air 2: A8X + 2 GB of RAM...should be a really good buy that will be for sale well into the future and handle numerous iOS updates?

Thoughts?

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
iPad Air 2: A8X + 2 GB of RAM...should be a really good buy that will be for sale well into the future and handle numerous iOS updates?

Thoughts?
If it's spec'd out the way you've written, then yes, it'll be able to handle numerous iOS updates. My iPad 4 is chugging along just fine going on its two year anniversary.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006

Thoughts?

If the Air 2 has 2GB, then I completely agree with your assessment on all of the models.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
The reason I brought up this thread is because historically there have been iPads worth getting, and others that weren't. The Air 2 looks to be the one to get, but it begs the question, will Apple keep oscillating and somehow inadvertently cripple the Air 3 next year? We know we are getting the iPhone 6 form factor for the iPad next year, which would be very refreshing over the chamfered edges of the Air 2. The chamfered edges just don't look good next to an iPhone 6.

I don't upgrade every year, so if I knew next year's iPad would be a solid buy then I'd wait for the new form factor, but if next year's iPad were to be revealed pretty much right away it was a bust, I'd hate to wait for the Air 4. If next year's iPad is as solid as the Air 2, then I'll kimNd of wish I had waited.

But it does seem that the Air 2 is the one to get, at least for now...? Too conflicted, I love my weighty 4 so much.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
it is interesting that they flip flop like this.

mini seems to follow same path.

mini 1- bad buy (repackaged iPad 2, which was a good buy but late into its cycle when A6x was dominating)
mini 2 - good buy. nitpicky issues like "Bad" gamut (with color profiles my screen looks great) now a better buy because its cheaper
mini 3- bad, arguably terrible buy

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
The reason I brought up this thread is because historically there have been iPads worth getting, and others that weren't. The Air 2 looks to be the one to get, but it begs the question, will Apple keep oscillating and somehow inadvertently cripple the Air 3 next year? We know we are getting the iPhone 6 form factor for the iPad next year, which would be very refreshing over the chamfered edges of the Air 2. The chamfered edges just don't look good next to an iPhone 6.

I don't upgrade every year, so if I knew next year's iPad would be a solid buy then I'd wait for the new form factor, but if next year's iPad were to be revealed pretty much right away it was a bust, I'd hate to wait for the Air 4. If next year's iPad is as solid as the Air 2, then I'll kimNd of wish I had waited.

But it does seem that the Air 2 is the one to get, at least for now...? Too conflicted, I love my weighty 4 so much.

I'm leaning towards going with the Air 2, but I don't currently own an iPad (had a 3 and sold it) so it's not as hard of a decision. I don't see what Apple can bring to the table next year to make the Air 3 as big of a leap as this Air 2 is. There's not a lot of room for them to make it smaller and lighter than 6.1mm, and they finally have gone to a laminated and much less reflective display. Along with 2GB of RAM (assuming that's true), they've addressed all of the weak points of the iPad Air's hardware.

I really want split-screen multi-tasking down the line, though. I would pre-order immediately if I knew for sure it was coming and that the Air 2 would handle it well.

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
2 GB of RAM would really solidify a purchase for me at this point. I am still holding on to my trustworthy iPad 2 that's been everywhere with me but iPad Air 2 looks like a really good replacement. A bit concerned about the smaller wattage of the iPad Air 2 battery but still no figures on the mAh or usage reports so only concerns at this point.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I think next year we will largely be looking at a form factor change and an A9, among other small things. And if it gets a higher PPI, therein may lie the crippling of the Air 3 if the processor can't drive a potentially upgraded display.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
I have the air and love it, but am handing it down to my girlfriend while I get the air 2. This is the first iPad that's come out where I said to myself "there is literally nothing else I want in a tablet in the next few years. I can keep this for quite awhile". The screen is better, it's as thin as it can get, twice the ram, better camera, Touch ID. I mean what else is there? What can possibly come in the next...say...3 years that I'll have to upgrade?

I'm gonna buy the max gig iPad air 2 and use it til it dies. My iPhone ill still upgrade every year or two, but with my tablet....it's like my laptop. I don't really need to keep going out and getting the new one. I'll be fine for a long time

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I'm leaning towards going with the Air 2, but I don't currently own an iPad (had a 3 and sold it) so it's not as hard of a decision. I don't see what Apple can bring to the table next year to make the Air 3 as big of a leap as this Air 2 is. There's not a lot of room for them to make it smaller and lighter than 6.1mm, and they finally have gone to a laminated and much less reflective display. Along with 2GB of RAM (assuming that's true), they've addressed all of the weak points of the iPad Air's hardware.

I really want split-screen multi-tasking down the line, though. I would pre-order immediately if I knew for sure it was coming and that the Air 2 would handle it well.

A 1080p screen for one thing.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
If it has 2gb, I'd definitely say yeah.

The next iPad will presumably have a res bump, and unless that comes with an appropriate GPU bump, the next one would could be a lesser purchase for the long term.

I'm sitting this one out, sticking with my rMini.

Still wouldn't be surprised if the Air 2 still has 1gb ram though. Apple and RAM is like Alex Ferguson and good midfielders post Roy Keane.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012

I'd say iPhone 6 doesnt look good next to chamfered edges. I personally love chamfered edges. The shine provides extra elegance without the added looking cheap like a chromed or glossy material.

fugmaglottu

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
The chamfered edges just don't look good next to an iPhone 6.
10n.jpg

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Maybe I'm biased because I have one and love it but the Air has plenty of longevity built into it. The Air 2 is not much of an upgrade as far as I'm concerned. An extra GB of RAM is nice and all but doesn't suddenly make the Air 2 some lifetime certified tablet. People will still complain about something and then the posts for 4GB of RAM and "if it only had this feature" will start to crop up.

Y'all should know how this goes by now.... ;)

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England

Thoughts?

Each to their own,

iPad 1: First iPad, breakthrough product, good buy
iPad 2: Incremental update, bad buy
iPad 3: First iPad to have Retina screen, good buy
iPad 4: Not compelling enough if you have the 3, bad buy
iPad Air: Substantially lighter and thinner, good buy
iPad Air 2: ??

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
If it has 2gb, I'd definitely say yeah.

The next iPad will presumably have a res bump, and unless that comes with an appropriate GPU bump, the next one would could be a lesser purchase for the long term.

I'm sitting this one out, sticking with my rMini.

Still wouldn't be surprised if the Air 2 still has 1gb ram though. Apple and RAM is like Alex Ferguson and good midfielders post Roy Keane.
LOL! This was something that made me spit my water all over the place from laughing lol.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I feel like the Air 2 is THE product Steve Jobs had in mind originally when dreaming up the iPad. Just took 4-5 years to get there.

Still on the fence about a preorder. So hard to let go of my 4 since it is absolutely flawless in terms of QC, has a perfect screen, etc.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Why would Apple want it to last a long time, they'd rather sell you a better one next year!

Thus the iPad Air 1 was born, to make everyone upgrade to an iPad Air 2 with 2GB of RAM ;)

I personally feel that with those least showing the A8X and 2GB of RAM, because they got the A8X right (as well as the colour :p ), I think it is 99.9% getting 2GB of RAM. Scrap that, 100%, yeah I went there ;)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Thoughts?

You've basically nailed my thought process for everything except the first model. But I like buying the first model because it's so crazy, new, and I always keep the first model forever. But I'm probably an outlier in that regard.

There is a definitely a pattern to it. The A8X is different enough that it could have more RAM, and those leaked photos seem to suggest it has the proper model number for 2GB of RAM. Since the iPad Air had a higher clock, it actually doesn't Geekbench much lower than the base A8 in the iPhone 6. Apple touts a 40% speed increase over the original Air, which would put it well ahead of the A8. If the math works out, that would put it in the ballpark of a 2011 MacBook Air, and perhaps as high as the base 2010 MacBook Pro. That's fairly impressive for iOS, and the performance would feel even better than those machines considering that iOS is much more lean and optimized than OS X. 2GB of RAM would be perfect for this machine for advanced tasks like working in Lightroom, Pixelmator, and apps that haven't even been thought of yet that could use that extra RAM for advanced processing. Otherwise I'll just wait it out.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Each to their own,

iPad 1: First iPad, breakthrough product, good buy
iPad 2: Incremental update, bad buy
iPad 3: First iPad to have Retina screen, good buy
iPad 4: Not compelling enough if you have the 3, bad buy
iPad Air: Substantially lighter and thinner, good buy
iPad Air 2: ??

This is kind of how I see things as well. The iPad 1 was definitely crippled, but it was a completely new type of device and you missed out on that experience for over a year by waiting. The iPad 2 would not have been all that long-lived had it not been for the fact that Apple decided to keep it around for educational and corporate use due to the 30-pin connector. For the average user it was a very minor upgrade - especially considering most of the limitations at that point were in software, not hardware.

I went from the iPad 1 to the 4 - which in my mind was the first time the hardware and software really got in alignment and it started to become my main personal computing device. I only went to the Air because it was such a leap in design that it felt like the first device that was really what the iPad was envisioned to be from the start - ie. the first iPad that was effortless to hold all day.

The Air 2 builds on that, but I honestly see it as another incremental improvement. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have one, but at this point I'm sitting it out. Even if it has 2gb of RAM, I'm not convinced the software is yet going to be optimized for it to make much difference. I don't expect that alone to change the user experience much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.