Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Just did the upgrade and restore from my 3gs -> 4s. Went pretty smoothly, except when I go to the voicemail, it says "Cannot Connect to Voicemail".

Anyone else have this issue? Is it just a problem with busy AT&T servers, or what? I noticed I had to re-enter my password for all my email accounts after the restore. I thought this could be the problem, but in the phone settings, there is no password reset option.

Last edited:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You have to put in your voicemail password. It's in Settings, Phone, change voicemail password.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
You have to put in your voicemail password. It's in Settings, Phone, change voicemail password.

I would... but I don't get that field on the 4s!

It is still there on the old 3gs. Wonder if I should try it there. It says "Visual Voicemail is currently unavailable" and has No Service, but I could try over wifi...

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
Call your voicemail access number manually and do the initial setup.
Then go into the voicemail tab and it will show up correctly.

The problem is finding the voicemail access number for your location.

My access number in NC is 678-761-9969

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it:

1) go to the phone app and dial your own phone number. Run the call about 20-30 seconds.
2) end the call and close the phone app
3) the enter voice mail password prompt will show up. enter the password and then visual voicemail is back up!

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
OK - I think the key here is to just wait a bit. I just received a text from AT&T welcoming me to my new service, blah blah blah. So, I checked my voicemail, and this time it asked me for my password and visual voicemail now works!

So - for those who it is not working, sit tight a bit and wait for the text, then try it.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it:

1) go to the phone app and dial your own phone number. Run the call about 20-30 seconds.
2) end the call and close the phone app
3) the enter voice mail password prompt will show up. enter the password and then visual voicemail is back up!

Worked like a charm! Thank you!!

zoomike

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Solved for Verizon

I had same problem. I called apple and verizon. Verizon had to turn off visual voice mail on their end. Then restarted my iphone. Then they turned it one again and I had to restart my iphone again and it started working. Also backing up from itunes also started the problem all over again. So, next time I had the problem, I set the setting to "Set as a new iphone" and it has been working perfectly ever since. I do not use itunes to backup my iphone anymore, I use iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.