Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colddragon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2015
I have a contract with AT&T for the iPhone 6, but I'd like to upgrade to the iPhone 6s. Is it possible for me to buy an iPhone 6s? How does this process work?

Thanks

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
You can pay off your 6 and they'll allow you to start all over again paying for the 6s. Or you can carry on and wait until Apple releases the unlocked model and purchase it outright from them.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I have a contract with AT&T for the iPhone 6, but I'd like to upgrade to the iPhone 6s. Is it possible for me to buy an iPhone 6s? How does this process work?

Thanks
If you had the Iphone6 under the NEXT program, you could move to the 6s with no problem.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
You can always buy the new phone for its full price as well and switch to it.

This is the option that I probably would do. OP, are you making payments on the 6 via NEXT? Or do you have an older contract plan where you paid $199 for the subsidized iPhone?

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL

Thanks
It's really going to depend. If you signed a two year contract then no, AT&T will not let you upgrade to the 6s. This is because you were given the option initially to utilize the NEXT program. When customers choose to do a 2-year, because NEXT is an option, the company is being a lot more strict about making people stick out the two year contract. You may be able to do an early upgrade, in which case you'd be paying a minimum of $450 out the door for a new two year. Otherwise, you'd need to pay the ETF in order to upgrade; also very expensive. Now, if you did sign the NEXT agreement on your 6, then you will be able to upgrade at launch no problems.

pokerplayer73

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Florida, USA

Thanks
If its a 2 year contract, they will offer a new 2-yr contract with Phone price - 200. eg if you get the basic 16GB 6S, it will cost you $449 with a new 2yr contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.