Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
can it be done and does the phone have to be unlocked first?its a 3g its unlocked but keeps saying no service

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
if the device was jailbroken with blackra1n to download the unlock before it was activated, it needs to be restored as the phone can only be used with non official carriers now. this is because blackra1n hacktivates the phone. restore it in itunes, say good bye to the jailbreak, and have fun using your stock firmware phone...if you restore it to 3.1.2, you can jailbreak and unlock with blackra1n (jailbreak), blacksn0w (unlock).

as long as you are using at&t on a locked iphone, the sim card will work in it. even if it has been unlocked also.

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
it is jailbroken and unlocked using blackrain then blacksnow running3.1.2 i have all the custom ipsw firmwares saved on my computer it just willm not connect to at&t ...i have done it a million times with tmobile just never at&t go sim card and did not know if there was a difference with it......i can restore it back to 3.1.2 with 5.11.07 baseband no problem does it need to be unlocked using that at&t go sim card?

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
it was hacktivated thats why. you need to search on google for iphone 3g 3.1.2 firmware download, download it, place it on your desktop. in itunes, hold shift and click restore, (if your on a pc), or if your on a mac, hold option + restore. select the file where you placed it on your desktop. jailbreak and unlock with blackra1n/blacksn0w again. but i really dont see why you would need to unlock since you're already on at&t. i unlocked my phone but im on at&t, just incase my dad cancels my plan, and get one with tmobile....not really sure its gonna work considering i have to be 18...lol. maybe prepaid sims you can be any age.:confused: but remember this, activate the phone with the at&t sim card, BEFORE you jailbreak with blackra1n. otherwise you will have to restore....again....lol.

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
it was hacktivated thats why. you need to search on google for iphone 3g 3.1.2 firmware download, download it, place it on your desktop. in itunes, hold shift and click restore, (if your on a pc), or if your on a mac, hold option + restore. select the file where you placed it on your desktop. jailbreak and unlock with blackra1n/blacksn0w again. but i really dont see why you would need to unlock since you're already on at&t. i unlocked my phone but im on at&t, just incase my dad cancels my plan, and get one with tmobile....not really sure its gonna work considering i have to be 18...lol. maybe prepaid sims you can be any age.:confused: but remember this, activate the phone with the at&t sim card, BEFORE you jailbreak with blackra1n. otherwise you will have to restore....again....lol.

thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Pcs are junk you have no clue what you talking about do you?
What does hactivating and unlocking have anything to do with not accepting an AT&T go-phone sim?
Do you have any idea or you're just trying to pass out your false guesses as advice?

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
Pcs are junk you have no clue what you talking about do you?
What does hactivating and unlocking have anything to do with not accepting an AT&T.
Do you have any idea or you're just trying to pass out your false guesses as advice?

the phone had at&t service but not with me i do not want a contract and wanted to try at&t go phone service to see whats its like .....applej you got any ideas

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
The sim card is locked to the particular prepaid phone for 6 months.
When you take the sim out of the prepaid phone and put it in the iphone it will display that you have no signal.
Unlocking or hactivating or whatever nonsense was posted above can be disregarded.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
um no. apple juiced you are wrong. hacktivating an iphone, will not allow you to use it with the official carrier. and if you paid any attention at all, which its obvious you didnt, you would have noticed that i told him theres no need to unlock. man you people need to learn how to read.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
um no. apple juiced you are wrong. hacktivating an iphone, will not allow you to use it with the official carrier. and if you paid any attention at all, which its obvious you didnt, you would have noticed that i told him theres no need to unlock. man you people need to learn how to read.

Well hactivating my iPhone alowed me to use my AT&T GoPhone simcard on my Original iPhone. So pcs are junk, you are wrong. I agree with Applejuced, no one listen to his advice. Most of it is incorrect, then he blames his fellow MacRumors members for his mistakes, because with provided HIM WITH THE WRONG information.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
Well hactivating my iPhone alowed me to use my AT&T GoPhone simcard on my Original iPhone. So pcs are junk, you are wrong. I agree with Applejuced, no one listen to his advice. Most of it is incorrect, then he blames his fellow MacRumors members for his mistakes, because with provided HIM WITH THE WRONG information.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ok so whats the verdict can it be used???? like I said I never had at&t service on the phone but i jailbroke and unlocked it with blackrain put and the sim form the go phone and on it says is no service

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Ok first, all 3G and 3GS iPhone will work with ANY AT&T sim card and will activate with no problems.

There is a requirement that AT&T started last summer that can lock the sim to the original phone in which it was activated for about 6 months. This happens only if the GoPhone was activated with the original sim that it came with IF it included bonus airtime credit such as $15 or even $50. If you try and use this sim in the iPhone, it will not activate and you will not get service until the 6 months is over.

To get past this, you can simply go to AT&T and tell them you either lost the sim or damaged it and they will activate a new one for you. You can now take that sim and put it in the iPhone.

Data can also work with the prepaid sim and you will need a modified carrier file uploaded to the phone if you want to access the net. You can buy data packages on prepaid, 1MB for $5 or 100MB for $19.99. If you want to use data on your phone, on your phone using Safari, go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/#_Custom and find the AT&T carrier and upload the update to your phone, it's very easy to do. Reboot the phone and data will now work on the phone.

MMS will also work on the 3G and 3GS phones without doing any mods to the phone and you don't have to have a data plan to send MMS. AT&T has data enabled on all GoPhone by default (pay per use) so MMS will always work as long as you have a texting package such as 200 for $5.00 or unlimited for $20.

If you are using firmware version 2.2.1 on your 3G, you don't need the carrier file to use data, it will just work but the iPhone will need to be unlocked to use the GoPhone sim.

If you are using firmware 3.0 and above, the phone needs the carrier file I listed above to use data but the phone doesn't need to be unlocked and will activate with any AT&T sim.

To use a GoPhone sim in the original iPhone, the phone needs to be unlocked.

Hope this helps! :)

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
Ok first, all 3G and 3GS iPhone will work with ANY AT&T sim card and will activate with no problems.

There is a requirement that AT&T started last summer that can lock the sim to the original phone in which it was activated for about 6 months. This happens only if the GoPhone was activated with the original sim that it came with IF it included bonus airtime credit such as $15 or even $50. If you try and use this sim in the iPhone, it will not activate and you will not get service until the 6 months is over.

To get past this, you can simply go to AT&T and tell them you either lost the sim or damaged it and they will activate a new one for you. You can now take that sim and put it in the iPhone.

Data can also work with the prepaid sim and you will need a modified carrier file uploaded to the phone if you want to access the net. You can buy data packages on prepaid, 1MB for $5 or 100MB for $19.99. If you want to use data on your phone, on your phone using Safari, go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/#_Custom and find the AT&T carrier and upload the update to your phone, it's very easy to do. Reboot the phone and data will now work on the phone.

MMS will also work on the 3G and 3GS phones without doing any mods to the phone and you don't have to have a data plan to send MMS. AT&T has data enabled on all GoPhone by default (pay per use) so MMS will always work as long as you have a texting package such as 200 for $5.00 or unlimited for $20.

If you are using firmware version 2.2.1 on your 3G, you don't need the carrier file to use data, it will just work but the iPhone will need to be unlocked to use the GoPhone sim.

If you are using firmware 3.0 and above, the phone needs the carrier file I listed above to use data but the phone doesn't need to be unlocked and will activate with any AT&T sim.

Thanks for clearing this all up for me.......

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

To use a GoPhone sim in the original iPhone, the phone needs to be unlocked.

Exactly.

ifollowkitty

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
NO problem. If you need anymore help on this, just ask. I was using a GoPhone sim in my 3G from June 09 till December and never had any problems.

Ok, please check my process:
1. Bought a 3G Gophone Sim from ebay (no credits)
2. Got a number from At&t using an IMIE from an old phone
3. Put the sim in my 3G jailbroken Iphone 3.1.2
4. Downloaded the At&t carrier file from unlockit.co.nz and rebooted
5. Iphone says "Invalid SIM"... did I do something wrong?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Ok, please check my process:
1. Bought a 3G Gophone Sim from ebay (no credits)
2. Got a number from At&t using an IMIE from an old phone
3. Put the sim in my 3G jailbroken Iphone 3.1.2
4. Downloaded the At&t carrier file from unlockit.co.nz and rebooted
5. Iphone says "Invalid SIM"... did I do something wrong?

Did you sign up for a new prepaid account through AT&T using the sim you bought on eBay? It sounds like it's not activated.

Krisrk

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
I also bought a gophone... activated sim with the gophone. I received my $15.00 credit.

In my iPhone "No service" appears. Once I had signal bars until I restarted the phone and had played with the PIN, PIN2 settings.

If I go to AT&T and say I lost my sim card... should I bring the gophone inside or just say I left it at home and give them my name and the phone number?

Update: I went and got another SIM didn't bring the phone in with me... called the number spoke to a CSR and said I had the sim card with me for the swap and just said I left the phone at home and it wasn't on, she said no problem i'll activate it. I waited a few minutes... bingo... typed in the settings for AT&T... and volia.

Thanks everyone on this site... I read up on a lot... so I am grateful for everyones help!

furby3

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2010
at&t go phone sim with iphone

NO problem. If you need anymore help on this, just ask. I was using a GoPhone sim in my 3G from June 09 till December and never had any problems.

SpaceKitty, I have some questions: I got an iPhone 3Gs in November. I hardly use the phone, I made one call in the last billing cycle. I use about 132 MB of data/per month.

Can I go to the AT&T store, buy the cheapest GoPhone for $15 and ask AT&T to transfer my iPhone number to it? Then pop the sim into my iPhone and have it work?

If I can't transfer the number, it's really no big deal, since I haven't given it out to many people anyway, but I would like to get rid of this high cost plan, and still have 3G when I need it. I realize I will have to pay to break my current contract.

ifollowkitty

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
Did you sign up for a new prepaid account through AT&T using the sim you bought on eBay? It sounds like it's not activated.

You were correct. It's fully activated now with $ but shows Invalid SIM when in the iphone. Works fine in the gophone. Thoughts?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
You were correct. It's fully activated now with $ but shows Invalid SIM when in the iphone. Works fine in the gophone. Thoughts?
If the sim works in the GoPhone but not the iPhone, it sounds like the sim is locked to the GoPhone for six months. You would need to go to AT&T and tell them you damaged your sim and need a new one. The new one should now work in the iPhone.

Xperiment

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
iPhone 3G/3.1.3/ Jailbroken but locked

Hi. I have an iPhone 3G which was previously JB and unlocked (3.1.2) and working with T-Mobile prepaid card. Long-story short... Did a software update and, inadvertently, lost the lock. Baseband (5.12...) and bootloader (5.09) now prevent any unlock. I was at least able to J/B it using redsn0w 0.9.4. It is basically just a glorified iTouch (ha). Now that this phone may be 4ever locked, could I use it with a prepaid AT&T plan? If so, how? I appreciate all your help on this. Many thanks

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Hi. I have an iPhone 3G which was previously JB and unlocked (3.1.2) and working with T-Mobile prepaid card. Long-story short... Did a software update and, inadvertently, lost the lock. Baseband (5.12...) and bootloader (5.09) now prevent any unlock. I was at least able to J/B it using redsn0w 0.9.4. It is basically just a glorified iTouch (ha). Now that this phone may be 4ever locked, could I use it with a prepaid AT&T plan? If so, how? I appreciate all your help on this. Many thanks

3G and 3GS iPhones don't need to be unlocked to use a GoPhone sim in them. Just insert the sim and you are ready to go.

If you want data, it's 1MB for $4.99 or 100MB for $19.99. You would need a custom APN uploaded to the phone to use data since the phone blocks data on sim cards not on official iPhone plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.