Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I've read that on launch day Carriers prioritize 2-yr contract customers and won't sell you just a contract free iPhone. I take it the Apple store is different than this though?

I've bought iphones before on release day, but it's possible this year is different. I also didn't buy my ip5 on release date, so am not sure what they did last year with this. Carriers on the other hand will do anything to avoid selling a full price phone, even months after release, but you can just order it on their website.

donkeycrushr

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2013
1) iPhone 4/4S do not support LTE at all so you will not get it - only iPhone 5 and future iPhones (5C/5S) support LTE

2) I would say Craigslist or eBay - not many other places to find the "best deals"

3) Craigslist will be the most you can get for your Sprint iPhone 5....they are worth the lowest of all the iPhone models/carriers...mainly because Sprint does not unlock them for USA use (meaning cannot use on any US carriers) and even for international use A) Extrememly hard to get sprint to unlock the phone B) No 3rd party Unlock services available to unlock sprint iPhones therefore even international customers aren't interested in buying the brick of a phone/carrier made phone it is.

4) yes you can port your numeber over to AT&T, You will have to Port over before you cancel from Sprint and once AT&T ports your number, your acc will automatically close and you will get the ETF billed on your last statement you get from Sprint.

5) Sure you can use Cash to pay as I'm sure you will get about 30 days to pay. Mind you Sprint iPhone 5's right now only fetch about $250-$350 and as the days get close for 5C/5S launch...your only going to see value decrease.

Satnam,

Thanks for the great info.

In regards to question#5, it sound like it would be monetarily beneficial for me to sell both my Sprint iphone5 immediately and then buy ATT iphone5 after September 10, 2013. So what do you suggest I do in the meantime in regards to phone usage between the sell of my iphones (for example: sell it on September 6) and buying iphones after September 10?

I think I might only have 1 old workable phone HTC evo and I do not know anyone with an extra sprint phone. Is it as easy as going to a sprint store and tell them i want to use my HTC evo for 1 of my lines? Thanks again.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Satnam,

Thanks for the great info.

In regards to question#5, it sound like it would be monetarily beneficial for me to sell both my Sprint iphone5 immediately and then buy ATT iphone5 after September 10, 2013. So what do you suggest I do in the meantime in regards to phone usage between the sell of my iphones (for example: sell it on September 6) and buying iphones after September 10?

I think I might only have 1 old workable phone HTC evo and I do not know anyone with an extra sprint phone. Is it as easy as going to a sprint store and tell them i want to use my HTC evo for 1 of my lines? Thanks again.

It should be as simple as going in and saying you want to swap phones on the account - I would recommend to dump the sprint iPhone 5's asap because as I said they already are worth the least but once next iPhone launched the value will depreciate further.

As for other line- keep looking maybe someone can help you? or you can maybe go through a few days without a phone....I sold my phone and have my calls forwarded to a google voice # - only thing I miss out is texts but thats not a big deal, at least everyone can leave me VM's if needed or I can see that someone has called me and I just return the calls from another phone.

aritax100pre

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
My Straight Talk Monthly billing cycle is due soon and been rooting to get this plan but I know if I ditch my Straight talk plan by porting over my number ill be giving up the SIM as its a AT&T one, was really hoping to get lots more feedback for users going on this $60 plan as they said it offers LTE...so if anyone reading this is on the $60 plan please share regarding:

- 4G (Speed)
- LTE (Yes? and Speed?)
- Visual Voicemail?
- Can you tether at all?

I'm on the $60.00 plan and using an IPhone 5 in Charlotte NC and here is what I'm getting:

- 4G (yes)
- LTE (yes and I'm getting DL +-49mbps UL +- 13.00 mbps. I have noticed that the results changed base on the area you are in even with in your city)
- Visual Voicemail (Yes )
- Tethering ( Not allowed)

DeeAlmighty

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
I have a question about callingmart. Do the refill codes ever expire? I purchased two 60.00 refills with a 10% discount and I just wanna know if I can still use the other code next month. Thanks

Fedmahn Kassad

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
New York City
I have a question about callingmart. Do the refill codes ever expire? I purchased two 60.00 refills with a 10% discount and I just wanna know if I can still use the other code next month. Thanks

It says it somewhere on the site or on your receipt. However, you can also just use both codes now and the credits will be on your account. Then you don't have to worry about paying your phone bill for a while. That's what I did last month.

DeeAlmighty

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2013
It says it somewhere on the site or on your receipt. However, you can also just use both codes now and the credits will be on your account. Then you don't have to worry about paying your phone bill for a while. That's what I did last month.

Hey thanks a lot bro it worked like a charm I wasn't sure if I had to wait until the end of the cycle to refill since this is my first month using go phone. Now it says that I have a $60 credit balance on my account so like you said I don't have to pay next month. Thanks again

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Guys, what is the total real cost of the $60/plan with taxes and fee's and such?

My post-paid plan totals $120, but with all the extra's it's typically around $145. Does the $60/mo prepaid plan have similarly high "charges" added-on?

Thanks!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Guys, what is the total real cost of the $60/plan with taxes and fee's and such?

My post-paid plan totals $120, but with all the extra's it's typically around $145. Does the $60/mo prepaid plan have similarly high "charges" added-on?

Thanks!

no extra charges and you can get it for $54 Total out the door using callingmart's monthly 10% off coupon.

Fedmahn Kassad

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
New York City

Thanks!

Hell no. I used to be post-paid on ATT since 2008 when I bought a 3G. My bill was about $120 as well after tax. I got a work discount and got it down to $100, which I thought was a bargain. Silly me lol.

I switched to the GoPhone plan a few months ago. $65 after tax. No fees, no hidden charges, nothing. It just doesn't work that way, and even better: they notify you immediately if you incur any overages (texting to countries you can't, etc).

Now I buy codes from CallingMart. I paid $57, no tax, for last month. I put it in my ATT account and got the $60 credit.

There is absolutely no way that I ever go back to post-paid. Simply not worth it by any means for a personal account.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I'm with ATT already and I love the idea of this plan.

Unfortunately, they won't let me bring my tel# with me...

any way to get around that?

Fedmahn Kassad

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
New York City
I'm with ATT already and I love the idea of this plan.

Unfortunately, they won't let me bring my tel# with me...

any way to get around that?

Do you mean going from post-paid to pre-paid?

Ask them what the terms of the change are. You can definitely go from post- to pre-paid, but for me I had to be out of contract and have $0 due on my account.

I was told that I wasn't allowed to make the change at first, then eventually someone explained to me those were usually the terms. Pay your bill and ask them to switch you over - for me it only took a 10 minute phone call.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Do you mean going from post-paid to pre-paid?

Ask them what the terms of the change are. You can definitely go from post- to pre-paid, but for me I had to be out of contract and have $0 due on my account.

I was told that I wasn't allowed to make the change at first, then eventually someone explained to me those were usually the terms. Pay your bill and ask them to switch you over - for me it only took a 10 minute phone call.

thanks!!!

i'll look into that...

donkeycrushr

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2013
I just got this plan and it's awesome, highly recommend.

1. What happens when someone goes over their 2gb allowance if we are not interested in purchasing the extra $10/1gb? Are the data speeds slowed down or we no longer have access to the Internet?

2. If their is money on your account does att gophone take the $10 from your account if a person goes over the 2gb?

lawlbringer

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
What about visual voicemail? Do you have to dial in to check your voicemails?

That plan looks pretty good for what you get, similar to Verizons. My dad kept talking about getting more "jiggabytes" with his iPhone 4 now that he's off-contract.

Not bad. I'm on aio wireless and pay $40 with 250mb of 4g and unlimited edge.

Lawl, unlimited edge. :D

BigiApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
What about visual voicemail? Do you have to dial in to check your voicemails?

That plan looks pretty good for what you get, similar to Verizons. My dad kept talking about getting more "jiggabytes" with his iPhone 4 now that he's off-contract.

Lawl, unlimited edge. :D

We have this plan in the home on one of the phones:

- 4G + LTE works 100%
- Visual Voicemail works 100%
- 2GB Data - I don't think that line has ever gone over the 2GB limit so cant tell you what happens next but from what I understand you can always buy the $10 add-on...I don't think AT&T will auto purchase it for you, but will give you the option to do so immediately or just prior to your data running out.

I also know from experience that Straight Talk even though they have added LTE to their plans on AT&T, they did not add Visual Voice Mail.

Visual Voicemail does work on All AIO Wireless plans and may also work on Walmart Family Mobile (off topic but just to share).

Aio Wireless (AT&T) and Family Mobile (Walmart) are "Official iPhone" Carrier's listed on Apple's site so they support all features of Any iPhone that is unlocked or sold by the Carrier it self.

----------

Does this plan work internationally?

Quick read on ATT website, it says roaming is allowed in Canada and Mexico but you will be required to have balance on the account in order to use roaming minutes and texting service.

RISE165

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
Question about AT&T Version iPhone 5 LTE thru Go Phone

Hello, currently using Straight Talk with an old Droid, and recently I decided I wanted to switch to Go Phone with an iPhone 5.. I purchased an AT&T iPhone 5 on ebay, and was wondering if it was okay that its AT&T version, rather than Unlocked and if I could still get LTE and MMS using a Brand New Sealed AT&T iPhone 5 if I instantly out of the box just use the AT&T Sim that comes in it & start a Brand New Go Phone plan(Rather than trying to transfer & keep the same number) [I haven't been with ST long and I got a new number when I started my ST phone so I haven't had the number long] with the AT&T Sim that comes in the AT&T Version and that I'll FOR SURE still get LTE AND MMS straight out of the box without having to do any kind of Sim Swap or any of that crap to access any of these features?? I can get it unlocked if I need too.. Just trying to make an educated decision! Thanks!!

Last edited:

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
So now that the AT&T GoPhone plans are official, whose switching over?

AT&T Offers:
- Unlimited Talk + Text (Incl International)
- 2GB 4G LTE Data
All for just $60/Month!

Purchase the refills from callingmart.com or ebay(from reputable sellers only - otherwise be warned as you may be scammed)and save $10-$20

I'll be leaving straight talk for AT&T GoPhone for my next billing cycle:D

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

update:

- Couldn't be happier with the plan! getting to use my iPhone like an iPhone should be used! Full features (minus FaceTime over Cellular)

Need a Refill? $60 Available Here <-- Support me if possible

I'm fine with Straight Talks 2.5GB ATT 4G LTE

johnsmith007

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Hi folks,
would i be able to activate this plan with a nano-sim in a local at&t-store in NYC to use it on my iphone 5s for my next holidays? i've read some older posts on other forums where people reported some problems. Some at&t-stores said that the go phone plan isn't available/wouldn't work as prepaid for iphones. If this problem is still actual, it's maybe better to buy now on ebay a new sim and activate the plan by myself? any suggestions of experiences?

Thank you very much

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
does this still work??

What phones can be used for this?

It works for all smartphones. Get a gophone sim and you are set. Dont use att to refill, they charge taxes and stuff, using callingmart's 10% coupon will bring the cost down to 54 a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.