Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The problem is TMO can't compete in coverage with 3G, let alone 4G/LTE with Verizon or AT&T. They have to offer those things just to compete. The other issue with carriers are tech differences, i.e. CDMA vs GSM. In other countries where it most likely is GSM only, it's a lot easier to BYOD because you have 3-4 choices of carrier.
T-Mobile coverage covers all the major cities. I travel alot and I have yet to find a major city that T-Mobile does not cover. So T-Mobile can compete with verzion and att. The main purpose of having a smartphone is to consume data, currently att does not allow u to do this. Att could offer me a free iPhone every year and it still would not be worth it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I see a few people complaining about modifying existing contracts. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think an upgrade date is part of your actual contract. Not saying that its cool of AT&T to do this, but if the contract doesn't expressly say anything about upgrades, I see this as far less shady than their "recent" imposing data caps on unlimited data plans.

----------

T-Mobile coverage covers all the major cities. I travel alot and I have yet to find a major city that T-Mobile does not cover. So T-Mobile can compete with verzion and att. The main purpose of having a smartphone is to consume data, currently att does not allow u to do this. Att could offer me a free iPhone every year and it still would not be worth it.

I just gave it a test run this past week in Boston, and frankly it was awful. If all I need is voice and texting, it's passable. Data? No can do. I was pretty shocked because Boston should be a huge market for them. Maps look great, however.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
How does this work exactly. $10 extra a month but doesn't the new iPhone line also require a data plan adding around another $30? Isn't it really am extra $40 a month?

I didn't see anyone answer you, so I will. Essentially you replace the iPhone with a dumb phone and then drop the data. They have allowed this for years (though they may not forever). This way you are only paying $10/mo for the additional line. On the forums, this has been given the unofficial name of "ghost line".

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Apple has no say if AT&T or Verizon decide to pay for their customers upgrades every 18-20 months or every 24 months.
Apple is just the manufacturer and doesn't control whatever agreement goes on between you and your wireless carrier.

Nowhere in my post did I suggest Apple can make this decision for the carriers, but I'm sure they could influence it. One way: raise the price of wholesale iPhones. What's the carrier going to do? Stop selling it? Pass the cost onto the consumer and have them go to another carrier?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
This change doesn't seem too bad. I don't upgrade as often as some people, and every two years seems about right. I get AppleCare and insurance on them so I know they are going to last.

Right now I have 4 lines out of 5 eligible for an upgrade. I might use one or two of them when the next iPhone comes out.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Yep, they were the only one left who allowed less than 24 months

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...evice-upgrade-wait-time-from-20-to-24-months/

So they need to drop the monthly Data, Minute, and Text plan price after you meet your 24 month agreement and choose not to upgrade?

I just think it stinks that they do this and leave us hanging on our monthly bills after 24 months, but VZ and Sprint do the same, so they are joining in the club.

Wonder if anyone has considered sales of all devices will slide a bit since many of us upgraded sooner before, but now that everyone has to wait 24 months for a discount, it will surely hit the MFG's bottom lines for Mobile device makers. Then there will be those who will continue to pay full price just to get the newer device, for me, I will now wait 24 months to upgrade no biggie, or if they can drop my monthly fee, I might keep my device longer.

T-Mobile may have something if their service gets better, only thing is I would lose my FAN if I switched and then switched back to AT&T if T-Mob was not good :(

----------

Not surprised. VZW just did this.

Not a big deal to me. I've never been denied an early upgrade by AT&T, especially because I've been around so long anyways. :D

No reason for me to jump ship. I like my phone to actually work everywhere I go.

They are allowing all other devices to upgrade early Except the iPhone 5 according to 3 calls I had into Customer Service. The iPhone is the only phone that must wait 24 months before you can upgrade. This is what I was told not saying it is going to be fact moving forward, but it makes sense.

DawnM

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
This isn't really an issue for us, we tend to keep our phones a while. My husband is on ATT through work and has an iphone 5.

Right now I actually use Straight Talk with an iphone 4 (ATT brand).

Found out yesterday that he is allowed to add me to his plan for $50/mo for unlimited talk/text and 4gb data shared, so I may move over when the month is out.

I actually would plan to use ATT with my current iphone 4 as I don't want to upgrade yet until I see what the 5s is like. I may even get a Galaxy at this point because I really, really want a larger screen!

T-mobile does NOT work well here and is very spotty when you get even a few miles out of the City.

For us, it is Verizon or ATT.

Dawn

rabbitjetta

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Left AT&T for this reason, Left Verizon for bad call quality in my area, now on sprint and couldn't be happier.
AT&T is one of the most expensive carriers. It seems like they would have the shortest upgrade times.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
It was only a matter of time. Me and my family are making the transition over to T-Mobile this afternoon. At this point, it's not even about the upgrades it's about the fact that AT&T is just outright expensive.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Yup, AT&T actually has working data but is completely unusable! Spot on Mr. TMo

Yet again, you miss the key issue. Its not in the major cities where they suck, its outside of them. Suburbs, etc

----------

For those complaining about price, are you serious? There's a reason why AT&T and VZW cost so much. They actually spend billions and billions of dollars constantly improving. Yes, some of their actions are greedy, but whatever. You have to pay for the privilege of a reliable connection. Nothing comes cheap.

They don't let their network rot like Sprint and TMo

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
My date changed from 09/05/14 to 02/05/15. I usually upgrade yearly so it affects me less than most but I can understand most people being mad.

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013

Sprint will most likely do this next too. This is unfortunate but that's the way it is.

I will admit that I do like the new way T-Mobile does their upgrades with their Uncarrier stuff but the problem is that their network is so inadequate. Edge outside the cities and along major highways. They STILL don't even have 3G along I-95 between Richmond, VA and Savannah, GA. That's hundreds of miles of Edge along the busiest interstate in the country. Makes it worthless. So I will pay premium for premium service with Verizon.

For those on AT&T who want to upgrade every year, just sell your old iPhone and pay the early upgrade price on the in between years. Not that hard. I've been able to upgrade from the 2G, 3G, 4 with AT&T and then the 4S and 5 with Verizon. iPhones hold so much resale value that this isn't an issue.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What? You're expected to carry out a 2 year contract? Wah!

Seriously, just stop buying subsidized phones if you don't want to deal with upgrade restrictions.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Sprint will most likely do this next too. This is unfortunate but that's the way it is.

I will admit that I do like the new way T-Mobile does their upgrades with their Uncarrier stuff but the problem is that their network is so inadequate. Edge outside the cities and along major highways. They STILL don't even have 3G along I-95 between Richmond, VA and Savannah, GA. That's hundreds of miles of Edge along the busiest interstate in the country. Makes it worthless. So I will pay premium for premium service with Verizon.

For those on AT&T who want to upgrade every year, just sell your old iPhone and pay the early upgrade price on the in between years. Not that hard. I've been able to upgrade from the 2G, 3G, 4 with AT&T and then the 4S and 5 with Verizon. iPhones hold so much resale value that this isn't an issue.

There is no more early upgrade pricing. It will be 2 years to upgrade going forward.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My upgrade was pushed back 5 months. I was originally eligible on 9/6/2014, now its not till 2/6/2015. BS!

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Then what's the point of this story then? I thought this has been the case for a good while now. You can't get subsidized pricing until your 2 years is up and there is early upgrade pricing after 6 months.

at the 6 months early upgrade you pay the price of the phone 199 plus 250. what they took away is the full subsidized pricing at 18-20 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.