Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Next was terrible when they introduced it, but now that they offer $25 off for not taking a subsidized phone it is a pretty good deal.

This guy gets it. It is the $25 credit when you have a 10GB data plan that wins it for the consumer. We have 2 phones on Next and unlimited talk, text and 10GBs of data. Our phones are essentially paid phone by the credits (total balance of about $11 per month for 2 phones) and we'll NEVER hit 10GB of data (we use about 4GB on average combined). We pay less than if we were on contract phones and had 4GBs of data, and we walk out of the stores having paid about $60 per phone (tax) instead of $350. We also each have the choice to upgrade anytime after 12 months in exchange for turning in our phones, or even upgrade before then if we pay off our 12 month number before then.

----------

I have two lines, one unlimited, and the other with 300mb's (my gf never, ever uses data -hippie)
Unlimited texts and a crapload of rollover minutes that never seem to end. Overages? NEVER. In anything.

$125 a month. Two lines. Both iPhone 6.

Both "activation fees" of $40 per iphone were waived, as they are every single year that I upgrade (all you have to do is call them)

Please tell me how I'm paying more than Any, ANY "Next- Mobile share"customer. In fact, if anyone can actually tell me how Next- mobile ripoff share- would benefit me so much that i'd give up my unlimited plan.

Anyone?

All depends on how much actual data you are using and if you are (or care about) having that data throttled. If you have unlimited data and are using 20GB a month and don't notice (or care) if AT&T is slowing you down at some point in your data, hey, keep that unlimited data plan. Why fix what isn't broken?

I would suggest, though, that you check the math every once in a while and see if what you actually need might be more affordable. The plans change so frequently that you might miss something good if you just assume unlimited is better.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I have two lines, one unlimited, and the other with 300mb's (my gf never, ever uses data -hippie)
Unlimited texts and a crapload of rollover minutes that never seem to end. Overages? NEVER. In anything.

$125 a month. Two lines. Both iPhone 6.

Both "activation fees" of $40 per iphone were waived, as they are every single year that I upgrade (all you have to do is call them)

Please tell me how I'm paying more than Any, ANY "Next- Mobile share"customer. In fact, if anyone can actually tell me how Next- mobile ripoff share- would benefit me so much that i'd give up my unlimited plan.

Anyone?

Not trying to be argumentative, just relating my experience. I'm paying $130 for 4 devices, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads, sharing 20 GB of data (10 GB plan + took advantage of double-data upgrade). Unlimited calls & texts. I find the cellular data on the 2 iPads quite useful when traveling. This price includes a FAN discount available to many employees of large companies or organizations. These discounts are widely available - it pays to ask.

You might be better paying $5 less for unlimited data on 2 devices, but the Next/shared data plan on 4 devices is better for me (plus, no contract). Price would be $20 less if I eliminated the iPads. Good to have choices!

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I haven't heard that foreign carriers lock devices the way that AT&T does.
AFAIK, the only major US carrier that doesn't SIM-lock phones being paid for monthly is Verizon, and that's because a stipulation imposed when they bought some frequency from the FCC prevents them from doing so.

So when you say "lock devices the way AT&T does", you're really saying "lock devices the way all major US carriers (that can) do".

FWIW, in the UK, there's only one carrier that doesn't SIM-lock at least some of their phones.

It's still theirs until you pay off the cost they say you owe.
There is no difference in terms of "who owns the phone" between phones purchased on the new AT&T Next/Verizon Edge/ T-Mobile EIP contracts vs. phones purchased on the old 2-year contracts (that just about everyone in the US has been signing for the last decade plus).

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I don't understand the hatred for Next
It's just ignorance and misinformation. Pretty typical for MacRumors, "never let the facts get in the way of righteous indignation. "

1.You have to return the phone if you decided to "Upgrade" to another phone.
Completely FALSE. Yes, returning/trading is an option. The other is pay off your remaining balance on your current phone and it's yours to do with as you wish. Once paid off you can then get a new phone on Next.

2.For those of us that have unlimited data and don't want to use the mobile share plan it's a bad deal, as the subsidy price is already built into the cost of our plans.
Since you're already stuck paying the subsidy whether you upgrade or not, that does make Next a bad choice since you don't get any savings to offset the embedded subsidy. That's really the fault of the plan rather than the fault of the Next program.

----------

So, AT&T gets to keep your phone at the end of 12 months to 'offset' the balance on the phone.
No, the choice to turn in the phone or keep it is on the owner.

It's better described as a guaranteed trade-in amount equal to six months of payments. If you don't want to trade it in don't. Keep using it if you wish. Pay it off and sell it somewhere else if you wish.

infantrytrophy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
It's just ignorance and misinformation. Pretty typical for MacRumors, "never let the facts get in the way of righteous indignation. "

Completely FALSE. Yes, returning/trading is an option. The other is pay off your remaining balance on your current phone and it's yours to do with as you wish. Once paid off you can then get a new phone on Next.

Since you're already stuck paying the subsidy whether you upgrade or not, that does make Next a bad choice since you don't get any savings to offset the embedded subsidy. That's really the fault of the plan rather than the fault of the Next program.

----------

No, the choice to turn in the phone or keep it is on the owner.

It's better described as a guaranteed trade-in amount equal to six months of payments. If you don't want to trade it in don't. Keep using it if you wish. Pay it off and sell it somewhere else if you wish.

Good points except for one: on Next, you DO get a discount for being off-contract. In my case (10 GB shared data plan), the discount is $25 per phone. I pay $15 per phone (instead of $40), plus the cost of the plan itself. This effectively removes the phone subsidy cost that is embedded in the "contract" plans. (Apology in advance if I misunderstood your remark about embedded cost of phones)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Good points except for one: on Next, you DO get a discount for being off-contract. In my case (10 GB shared data plan), the discount is $25 per phone.
Sorry I wasn't clear; I was talking only about the old 2yr contract subsidy plans (since the topic involved unlimited data), NOT about the newer mobile share plans that DO allow you to separate out the subsidy from the service.

MuckyDuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Kept my unlimited with Next

I have an AT&T plan from the spring of 2006 that is unlimited throttled data for $30 a month.

I believe it is called "Nation 250". A whopping 250 minutes for another $30. IIRC that was a lot of minutes in 2006. I think I have breached the talk limit once.

Got the 6+ via Next 12 with no change to my plan, so at least in my world you can do Next and keep unlimited.

FWIW I have been throttled a couple of times and it turns the device into a very well designed brick IMHO.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

I certainly have no warm and fuzzy feelings for AT&T. I don't trust them AT ALL and would rather do my own cellular service, if there was a way to do it (which if course their isn't).

AT&T, et al, are nothing but a bunch of money grubbing hysterical bullies who rollover and give MY information to the government for a belly rub, and a bag of cash.

I do not trust the Next program. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is, and triply so with those crooks.

I'm waiting for AT&T to be forced to offer totally unlimited data for all of us with unlimited data plans.

Their conduct over Net Neutrality should be proof enough of their evil side.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
Has anyone received their bill credit yet? I did my NEXT plan in the Apple Store on November 15th so I guess people will be getting credits soon?

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Has anyone received their bill credit yet? I did my NEXT plan in the Apple Store on November 15th so I guess people will be getting credits soon?

Turns out this was all a scam by AT&T. I never received my credit. I was told back in October that it would automatically appear on my bill after 45 days of being on the Next plan and I wouldn't have to call back about it... so this should have happened by end of November to beginning of December. But it never appeared, and now the "promotion" is over and they won't honor it! Even though they said I didn't have to call back, that it would automatically be applied! I am furious... I've never sued anyone, but this has to be cause for a lawsuit, yes?

Sairasings

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Apple extends promotion

Screenshot%202015-01-10%2008.07.39.png

Apparently, Apple has extended the promotion to 1/15/15. I don't understand why it's such a secret, but I'm glad to profit!

Last edited by a moderator:

BrighterShades

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
$50 "adjustment" credit appeared on Feb 4th

Turns out this was all a scam by AT&T. I never received my credit. I was told back in October that it would automatically appear on my bill after 45 days of being on the Next plan and I wouldn't have to call back about it... so this should have happened by end of November to beginning of December. But it never appeared, and now the "promotion" is over and they won't honor it! Even though they said I didn't have to call back, that it would automatically be applied! I am furious... I've never sued anyone, but this has to be cause for a lawsuit, yes?

I purchased an iPhone 6 at local Apple Store on 11/26/2014 and the credit appeared on February 4 with no description other than "adjustment credit."

The AT&T telephone customer service reps were clueless when I asked about the promotion before the credit appeared. On February 5, I asked AT&T support by chat and got this response:
"the $50 credit you receive is the AT&T Apple Promo Credit you receive when you upgrade your device for another Apple device through AT&T Next."

As the old saying goes, "your mileage may vary," but for me the promotion is genuine.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
I purchased an iPhone 6 at local Apple Store on 11/26/2014 and the credit appeared on February 4 with no description other than "adjustment credit."

The AT&T telephone customer service reps were clueless when I asked about the promotion before the credit appeared. On February 5, I asked AT&T support by chat and got this response:
"the $50 credit you receive is the AT&T Apple Promo Credit you receive when you upgrade your device for another Apple device through AT&T Next."

As the old saying goes, "your mileage may vary," but for me the promotion is genuine.

I wound up having to go through 3 reps and eventually have it escalated to a manager who had the promotion in hand, as well as my records, and then immediately issued the credit for me. He also profusely apologized for his employees who "didn't have the proper information".

But it took a whole lot of fighting and jumping through hoops initially that shouldn't have been necessary... but at least I did get the credit in the end. :)

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Read the FAQ found on the link you posted and educate yourself.

This is so WRONG. So ignorant.

As others have said,once you pay for the phone, it is yours. Stop spreading such nonsense.

Okay guys:

"How do I trade-in my AT&T Next smartphone to upgrade to a new smartphone?

Once you've made 24 (if you have AT&T Next 24), 18 (if you have AT&T Next 18) or 12 (if you have AT&T Next 12) monthly installment payments on your AT&T Next installment agreement, you are eligible to trade in and upgrade your smartphone. Your trade-in must be in good physical condition and fully functional to qualify. "

It clearly says you have to trade it in. You can keep the phone, but then you're not making use of AT&T Next to upgrade to a new model, are you? Do the math.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Okay guys:

"How do I trade-in my AT&T Next smartphone to upgrade to a new smartphone?

Once you've made 24 (if you have AT&T Next 24), 18 (if you have AT&T Next 18) or 12 (if you have AT&T Next 12) monthly installment payments on your AT&T Next installment agreement, you are eligible to trade in and upgrade your smartphone. Your trade-in must be in good physical condition and fully functional to qualify. "

If you've only made 24(if you have AT&T Next 24), 18(if you have AT&T Next 18) or 12(if you have AT&T Next 12) monthly installment payments, you haven't fully paid for the phone.

The Next 24 plan is actually a 30 month payment plan, so at 24 months you've only paid $520 for your $650 16GB iPhone 6.

The Next 18 plan is actually a 24 month payment plan, so at 18 months you've only paid $487.50 for your $650 16GB iPhone 6.

The Next 12 plan is actually a 20 month payment plan, so at 12 months you've only paid $390 for your $650 16GB iPhone 6.

It clearly says you have to trade it in. You can keep the phone, but then you're not making use of AT&T Next to upgrade to a new model, are you? Do the math.

You only have to trade it in if you don't pay it off. If you choose to pay off the remaining balance before you upgrade, you keep your phone. You can pay off the remaining balance at any time.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.