Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I think $1 actually sounds better psychologically than free which may be the reason. Might just be a marketing move.

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
I remember that at one point, in Germany it was forbidden to offer 2-year contracts for free so they went to 1 DM back in the days. Reason: You offer "For free!" and it sounds like you don't have to pay which violates the "Morals and good beliefs" - a very vague law used to prohibit unmoral practices such as phishing.
Thought behind that is: If you say "We offer it for free!" You actually mean "We offer it with no money down and milk you over the next two years!" Now, if you say, "We offer it for less than $1!" People are more likely to see you have to pay. "Free" offers could be mistaken for promotion events where things are given away for free no strings attached. Paying about $2000 / contract in total is everything but free.

I know, the US does not have such a catch-it-all law used to prevent people from looking for holes in the law. That has something to do with the English system of precedence law. So, you can look for loop holes. Oh and don't worry - the law in Germany does therefore not mean you violated that premise and you go to jail. It ends up preventing you from further using the loop hole once someone caught up on it.

I fail to see how "buying for a dollar" implies additional future payments more than "free". Both are statements about right now, not the future. Of course, the law usually doesn't make intuitive sense.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Maybe they experienced a Y2FREE bug with $0 orders. ;)

Or maybe Sarbanes Oxley accounting rules? Like how Apple used to have to charge something for OS updates, before they changed their accounting practices?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Its like imagine getting an Xbox 360 for free.

Then imagine someone selling you an Xbox 360 for $1. What would you brag to your friends more about?

Obviously you would be filled with joy in both instances, but I think you would feel more excited about buying one for $1 because it feels like you got something huge in return with your small investment.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Let me dig under my couch cushions and see if I can come up with the money for this phone.

TheMirrorsTruth

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
only

Now available at the low, low price of 99 cents, you can have your very own iPhone for the same cost as a single song on iTunes!

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
Wait - AT&T is evil because they charge $.99 for a phone.

I'm certainly neither a defender nor a fan of AT&T, but how does charging $.99 for a phone make them evil??:confused:

They're not evil for this one instance, but yes they are evil.

Doesn't matter if it's dropping unlimited data, dropping text choices, dropping calls, or charging .99 for a phone. Evil is evil.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
I fail to see how "buying for a dollar" implies additional future payments more than "free". Both are statements about right now, not the future. Of course, the law usually doesn't make intuitive sense.

Is that what you missed when you read my post?

"Free" offers could be mistaken for promotion events where things are given away for free no strings attached. Paying about $2000 / contract in total is everything but free. Therefore, the courts found it is an immoral contract.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
The popularity of the 3GS shows how many people are bad at math.

Oooh I save $200 up front for a phone that retails for $300 less.

Now my payments after 2 years are ~$2400 instead of ~$2600 and after 2 years I will have a phone worth ~$300 less just for the privilege of using a slower older phone with much worse camera.

Or for those that want to remain optimistic about the human race:

Maybe they are smart. And realize they lose or damage their phone every 6 months and will save more than $1000 over 2 years from having to only replace a 3GS instead of a 4S a handful of times.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
AT&T probably wants to push users towards their other free smartphone offerings. Maybe it has to do with the margin they are getting on the 3GS?

I agree...ATT (and other carriers) have LONG had free phones...for decades...and those free ones were okay (except for maybe a crazy Black Friday 1-day special on a great model). Most likely ATT is simply losing more money when folks grab a free iPhone. Or, maybe ATT's other vendors are ticked off that ATT is now giving the iPhone away for free. ATT thus probably told the other vendors "ok, we won't give it away for free...we will charge" and that charge is now $.99.

Although I agree with 1 of the other posters about Free=garbage in the minds of consumers, I don't think that is the case with the iPhone or smartphones at this stage of the game. 10 years from now when everything is a "smartphone", yes, I will bet the free ones are complete garbage.

ebyron

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2005
Sarbanes Oxley

Understand i am FAR from being an accountant, but it was discussed not too long ago on TWIT.

This is likely be to be in accordance with the Sarbanes Oxley accounting laws.

At it's most basic level, if something OF VALUE is given away for free the company technically has to account for that value as a loss on their balance sheet.

If anyone understands these laws more please feel free to chime in.

Eliot

thezoostation

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
Wait - AT&T is evil because they charge $.99 for a phone.

I'm certainly neither a defender nor a fan of AT&T, but how does charging $.99 for a phone make them evil??:confused:

Because it comes off as spiteful more than anything else. Everyone is talking about how the average consumer can surely afford .99, but conversely giant motherf-ing ATT can afford .99 as well. This comes across as taking someone's ice cream and then licking it once before giving it back. It basically feels rude. "We agreed to a free pricing structure, we let Apple tout it as a free pricing structure, but now we're gonna tack on the measly sum of .99 because we're ATT and we can." If ATT had a history of doing what's right for the consumer and not engaging in petty pricing games, I suspect people would be more likely to be ok with it. However, ATT has a history of engaging in very anti-consumerist behavior just because they can. They've earned the ill will that is directed at them.

thenewyorkgod

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Anyone who sits and calculates how much they will pay with their two year contract (thousands of dollars) will realize that 99 cents is no different than free.

Anyone who sits and calculates how many THOUSANDS of dollars they will pay over a two year contract, and still decides to get an "old screen" 3G to save $98 bucks, instead of getting the immensely more functional 4 is an absolute idiot.

Anyone who is not wealthy that spends thousands of dollars over a 2 year contract on a phone is a complete idiot. If he was not an idiot, he would deposit that $100 a month into a retirement fund and realize that at retirement in 35 years, assuming an annual return of 6.5%, he would have $168,000 in his account. Or he could be clever like you and get the 4s instead of the idiot who got the 3g, and have zero in his account, but such fond memories of pinching and scrolling!

----------

Or it could be a genius marketing ploy. I asked my elderly, non techno-equiped father what he would rather buy, the Free Iphone with monthly plan, or the 99 cents iphone with monthly plan. He told me he would get the 99 cent phone, because "nothing is free, so they are obviously hiding something when they tell you the phone is free"

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I suppose that this was done so that AT&T can't say that they didn't even see a penny due to Apple making the 3GS free.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
It almost certainly has something to do with accounting. Like when apple charges 99 cents for certain firmware updates.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
rules

I'd be willing to wager it has to do with accounting rules. Bet Apple will change the price they're selling it for too. You can thank the lawyers.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Understand i am FAR from being an accountant, but it was discussed not too long ago on TWIT.

This is likely be to be in accordance with the Sarbanes Oxley accounting laws.

At it's most basic level, if something OF VALUE is given away for free the company technically has to account for that value as a loss on their balance sheet.

If anyone understands these laws more please feel free to chime in.

Eliot

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.